Sponsored by:

The most dangerous part of HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I am worried that an epidemic of accidents will happen because of texting while driving. Sorry this happened to your car but glad the injuries weren't worse. Good to hear the 3 will be seeing track duty again!
Old 10-26-2013, 12:49 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I am worried that an epidemic of accidents will happen because of texting while driving. Sorry this happened to your car but glad the injuries weren't worse. Good to hear the 3 will be seeing track duty again!
That's why I only use talk to text on track :-)

OP: Bummer -- but best of all, everyone is relatively ok.

Did they check the frame? That side window popping is scary -- but it does
say the car distributed the impact AROUND the occupants.

Mike
Old 10-26-2013, 10:55 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
I feel safer on track than I do on the street. especially with harnesses, HANS, helmet, firesuit, etc...
This. Not to mention the biggest factor: I trust every one of the drivers in my run group, driving closer and faster than we'll ever encounter on the street. Look at it this way, in a DE, car-on-car crime is extremely rare (at least in my region). Most DE incidents are from a driver unfurling his *******, and then stepping on it. On public roads, its the opposite. There's almost always some other numbnut involved.

My most stressful moments from a DE weekend are the drive home, when people aren't going in the same direction, with the same training, observing the same protocol. No training, no runoff, no safety gear, sounds dumb doesn't it?
Old 10-26-2013, 11:06 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by acao

This. Not to mention the biggest factor: I trust every one of the drivers in my run group, driving closer and faster than we'll ever encounter on the street. Look at it this way, in a DE, car-on-car crime is extremely rare (at least in my region). Most DE incidents are from a driver unfurling his *******, and then stepping on it. On public roads, its the opposite. There's almost always some other numbnut involved.

My most stressful moments from a DE weekend are the drive home, when people aren't going in the same direction, with the same training, observing the same protocol. No training, no runoff, no safety gear, sounds dumb doesn't it?
And add in drugs, alcohol, texting, lack of sleep. Amazing we survive.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear about this. Like many others I have grown so accustomed to the secure feeling inside a race car that even my F-450 no longer feels secure on the roads. And when you add our big trailer it just seems the idiots on the road multiply.

Glad that you are ok, and agree that a frame check is needed. That window is a real concern IMHO.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:14 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Nooooo, I love your car.

My DD/trackday car recently suffered a similar punt in the front from a driver who made an illegal left turn right in front of me. People just don't pay attention to signs or traffic, and there's never enough reaction time when that happens. Sorry it happened to you, too.

Public roads are downright dangerous anymore and it's unacceptable that we hand out driver's licenses to pretty much anyone who can fog a mirror.

Get the frame checked out and see if you can notice anything odd in the panel gaps. My whole car (granted, a Lancer, not a 997 RS) had the frame shifted ~25mm in the front, and even though it all looked okay from a distance, I could tell that the cracks between the doors on the passenger side were closer together than the cracks between the doors on the driver's side. The damage was all over the front, but slightly more on the driver's side.

Good luck. Glad to that everyone's mostly okay.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

Good to hear there were no serious injuries - wishing speedy and complete recovery to your wife.
I'm always reminded of just how bad the average driver on US roads is after I've been on the track. I drive like a grandpa on the streets (drives my wife nuts), and even more so after a track day.
-C
Old 10-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you had a brighter colored car he might have seen you?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:36 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frame is OK, not even a little dent. I must admit, this little car sure proved to me how solid it really is. The damage was all cosmetic, nothing else. I will be picking it up this Friday, Saturday and Sunday we will be spending some quality time on track getting re-aquainted once again.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:55 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tony,

Good to hear that car and passengers came out better than initially thought, but what a pain to have to deal with it at all. Hope the other driver learned something...

Quick Reply: The most dangerous part of HPDE