Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 Carrera Front Camber

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013 | 04:17 PM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Default 1987 Carrera Front Camber

I have a 1987 911 Carrera that I need more negative camber in the front. I have Bilstein coil over suspension, camber plates and de-cambered ball joints, but still I can only get it to -2 degrees. Is there a way to get to -3 to -3.5 degrees, without buying the 935 front control arms or the crazy expensive Elephant Racing GT3 based front suspension?

Have anyone tried to cut and weld in a piece on the original 911 control arms, to get the lower part of the wheel further out? Or cut and shim like on the GT3 control arms?
Old 10-23-2013 | 06:01 PM
Cory M
Drifting

I can't post pics but Fabcar does a mod where they cut and lengthen your control arms. When I called I think it cost around $500, but included bead blasting, lengthening and reinforcing, and powdercoating. Not adjustable so do your math right the first time.

Dawes can modify arms by cutting off the factory balljoint and welding in a machined part to hold a large heim joint so it's adjustable. They do it for customer cars but maybe they would do it if you sent your arms in. Mine are done the same way and work great with excellent adjustability.

If you search it on Pelican you can find pictures of both methods.
Old 10-23-2013 | 06:20 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

I max out at -2.8 on my 89 with Tarett camber plates and ER decambered balljoints but that is pretty much the limit if you plan on running any kind of "R" or "S" compounds and don't want outer shoulder wear ...
My goal is -3.0 front and i just purchased ER's quick change camber plates,where Chuck assured me i would get over -3.0 front camber.I wouldn't suggest you start cutting anything as -3.0 is achievable,you just need the right combination of parts.

Season's over for now so it will be a Winter project !

Cheers
Phil
Old 10-24-2013 | 08:37 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

I am able to get -3.2 with camber plates and decambered ball joints. Fronts are wearing pretty evenly at this setting. I am still on torsion bars (24mm) Your coil overs might limit how far in you can push the top of the strut without camber boxes.
Old 10-24-2013 | 10:04 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Have you checked to see if you're struts are bent. The normal way to find they are bent is that you can't get enough negative camber.

Quick Reply: 1987 Carrera Front Camber