Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident / Hospital Advice **MUST READ***

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013 | 09:35 AM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdistefa
...I have an ongoing argument with our EMS service about immobilizing everyone who farts. It is CYA behaviour at its finest and not good for the patient.
First of all, ha! Second of all, what's bad for the patient about this? Third of all, you seem to be making a broad statement about EMS not a specific gripe with immobilizing someone involved in a high-speed auto accident with traumatic injuries, yes? Isn't immobilization indicated in that situation?
Old 10-20-2013 | 09:41 AM
Philip944
Instructor

I look forward to the results of that study. I would love to not have to clear as many spines that are immobilized because of a minor toe stubbing injury. I feel bad for the patients who are fully immobilized and strapped to a board for nothing. You Canucks are so efficient and resourceful in the application of research and practice 'rules'. We can't even figure out how to begin to manage our own healthcare system...dont get me started, this a racing forum...
Old 10-20-2013 | 09:50 AM
Philip944
Instructor

We aren't disagreeing with immobilization of patients with potential for, or obvious signs of severe spinal injuries. We are just frustrated with how far that 'potential' has been exaggerated. Laying strapped to a backboard fully immobilized for any period of time is highly uncomfortable, potentially exaggerating the painful positioning of another injury, increases the risk of pressure ulcers on the sacrum (extended periods), and is not the most anatomically optimized position for pulmonary function, and the list goes on...
Old 10-20-2013 | 09:55 AM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Philip944
We aren't disagreeing with immobilization of patients with potential for, or obvious signs of severe spinal injuries. We are just frustrated with how far that 'potential' has been exaggerated. Laying strapped to a backboard fully immobilized for any period of time is highly uncomfortable, potentially exaggerating the painful positioning of another injury, increases the risk of pressure ulcers on the sacrum (extended periods), and is not the most anatomically optimized position for pulmonary function, and the list goes on...
OK that makes sense, and thanks for the reply/info.
Old 10-20-2013 | 10:07 AM
Philip944
Instructor

No problem. Just glad that that Gregg and Dave's wife are doing well and I hope both are continuing to recover.

And keep up those stool softeners
Old 10-20-2013 | 11:31 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Philip944
No problem. Just glad that that Gregg and Dave's wife are doing well and I hope both are continuing to recover.

And keep up those stool softeners
Thanks. She's doing fine today, just generally sore.

BTW, is it normal for EMS to immediately want to take off her bra and panties?

Just kidding.
Old 10-20-2013 | 12:33 PM
DanS911
Pro

Originally Posted by Coochas
Thanks. She's doing fine today, just generally sore.

Just kidding.
Old 10-20-2013 | 01:08 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Yes, I believe it is...
Old 10-20-2013 | 05:12 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Ian Stiell's group in Ottawa is currently doing a pilot study re. EMS applying the Canadian C-Spine clearance rules (similar to NEXUS) in the field and avoiding board & collar per assessment. Multi-center validation study will be next. Can't wait since I have an ongoing argument with our EMS service about immobilizing everyone who farts. It is CYA behaviour at its finest and not good for the patient.
Immobilization is not the EMS service's choice. It's the medical director who likely works in teh same ER as you who deemed it necessary. Most places an unwitnessed fall = long spineboard. Seriously WTF when it may have been out an office chair but not doing so is off protocol and puts both the paramedic and the medical director in serious danger of being sued if there is anything but a perfect outcome.
As for data about non-immobilization of patients. There are lots of studies currently underway in the US. I know of at least two in NC right now. Plus just look over in Europe where they immobilize patients at a rate significantly less than here in North America.

However look at the mechanism that we are seeing with a automobile racing crash. HUGE forces compared to what we see every day in the ER. Lots of potential for distracting injuries.

As for helmet removal. If you are being immobilized it needs to be done. The back of the helmet forces the neck to be flexed a pretty good bit. Yeah you can roll a towel up and put it under the shoulders but you still have a dropoff point below that towel that can cause injury. We don't do it with football players because the shoulder pads can support the body quite well.

As for Eject. Hope that whoever finds you knows how to use it. Outside of teams like Holmatro and such who follow pro series they never have a chance to practice it and there is a LOT of neck movement.
Old 10-20-2013 | 07:25 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

She's fine Matt. Sound asleep while I fritter away my life on the internet and watch the Red Sox.
Dave, scary. Best to Irene and you.

Cheers

Matt
Old 10-20-2013 | 07:28 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chaos
Make sure your helmet goes to the hospital with you!!

Thanks to all for the well wishes here and to Alan Coleman and John Haas for staying with me and coordinating things last Saturday.

The ER doc , PA and others ask at least five times where my helmet was and could someone get it.
They wanted to see the INSIDE! The doc said he could care less about the out side. Mine got into the squad and fell out (twice) at the track side medical facility.
The inside side is perfect and the outside has a couple drop type scrapes. The helmet was purchased at the Watkins Glen race.
So if you ever have a friend or fellow racer go to the hospital make sure his helmet goes to. The staff can tell a lot from looking at it.
They will call your Emergency Contact even if you ask them not to.
They will want to know about a Living will.
They will not ask your blood type, they take it.
1:1 ratio Stool softeners to vicoden/percocet/muscle relaxers(learned that one too late and had to give myself a colonic massage sitting on the crapper with my feet on a box) yeah I know.
Stay Hydrated to avoind some wicked cramps.
Sneezing can be the most painful thing ever.

Thanks again.
Best wishes for a quick rehab!

Cheers

Matt
Old 10-20-2013 | 08:49 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
How many people have an Eject Removal system in their helmet?
Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Matt, when Stand21 did my new helmet in April, I had them add an Eject system. Cheap at any price. OBTW, does anyone know if PCA carries Eject inflators in the race kits/setups that are used at every race?
Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
As for Eject. Hope that whoever finds you knows how to use it. Outside of teams like Holmatro and such who follow pro series they never have a chance to practice it and there is a LOT of neck movement.
Yes I agree with Circuit (good post BTW). Though I'm not very familiar with "Eject," I see no need to complicate what should be a very simple thing to do. Removing a helmet while maintaining proper cervical immobilization is not difficult (for medical personnel) to do.
Old 10-20-2013 | 09:44 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

She's fine Matt. Sound asleep while I fritter away my life on the internet and watch the Red Sox.
Get well soon to your bride. It will really kick in on Tuesday based on my recent experience. Also based on my situation on Thursday roll over in bed and elbow her in the head by accident!
Old 10-21-2013 | 06:55 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chaos
Get well soon to your bride. It will really kick in on Tuesday based on my recent experience. Also based on my situation on Thursday roll over in bed and elbow her in the head by accident!
Thanks man. Hope you're doing well!
Old 10-21-2013 | 11:17 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Astroman
Yes I agree with Circuit (good post BTW). Though I'm not very familiar with "Eject," I see no need to complicate what should be a very simple thing to do. Removing a helmet while maintaining proper cervical immobilization is not difficult (for medical personnel) to do.

What the Eject is designed to do is push the helmet off the head of the driver instead of having someone pull it off and pulling traction on the C-spine at the same time. When it works, it works very well. It's just an inflatable balloon at the crown of the helmet.

Quick Reply: Accident / Hospital Advice **MUST READ***