Sponsored by:

Most Dangerous Corners in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 12:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,348 Likes on 1,901 Posts

The most dangerous corners are the ones YOU make dangerous...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-18-2014, 12:26 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chartersb
Speaking of Mosport.... The faster you go the faster and further you can go off. Mosport is really fast. It's a pro driver favorite. There's a Club Race weekend there August 8-10. It's a joint event with PCA races, BMWCC races and a solo DE group. Man up and show up.
I will be there, and plan on staying on the racing surface.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:42 PM
btwyx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
The only concrete wall near turn 10 is well after the turn on the short straight between turns 10 and 11. The entirety of the outside of turn 10 is lined with tire barriers. As is most of turn 11. The exit of 11 points you right at a concrete wall but this is the slowest corner on the track.
The wall goes all the way around the track at Sonoma. If you mess up turn 10, the two rows of tires aren't going to help you much.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:00 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 918 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by btwyx
The wall goes all the way around the track at Sonoma. If you mess up turn 10, the two rows of tires aren't going to help you much.
Hitting two rows of tires is a hell of a lot better than hitting a plain concrete wall.

I used to race motorcycles around Sears Point and have lost three friends on that track. So I am acutely aware of the dangers present. It is a track that deserves a lot of respect.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:47 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Nobody said T2 at Laguna Seca yet....
Old 07-19-2014, 10:15 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Nah, it's just tough on brakes....
Old 07-19-2014, 01:48 PM
btwyx
Instructor

Originally Posted by 333pg333
T2 isn't dangerous, especially now they've put the asphalt run off in. T1 can be much more fun, fastest point on the track, over a blind hill crest. I've seen a car wreck at T1, it didn't stop moving until it got to T2 (where it was upside down).
Old 07-19-2014, 02:56 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

T2 isn't dangerous, especially now they've put the asphalt run off in. T1 can be much more fun, fastest point on the track, over a blind hill crest. I've seen a car wreck at T1, it didn't stop moving until it got to T2 (where it was upside down).
Now that's an alternative to braking for T2 that I bet they hadn't considered over in the braking thread...

I just noticed this thread again. It predated the closing of Nelson Ledges, but I haven't heard anything on that front in a while. I wonder what the latest is.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:17 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

Also bear in mind the wall at exit of t10 at sp slants inwards so if u do nail it - all four sides of your car will be 4-5 inches pushed in on average some spots even greater. That track demands respect. Mike
Old 07-19-2014, 05:44 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 817 Likes on 469 Posts

Want to add another place that will bite you big time. Start/Finisn line at Sebring in the wet, you can bounce between the walls like a Ping pong ball.

As for turn 10 at Sears Point it isn't any worse than exiting turn 17 at Sebring and tracking out to the wall at 100+ mph. Turn 11 at Sears if you are pointing at the wall on exit you early apexed the turn.

Peter

Peter
Old 07-19-2014, 06:07 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 918 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Turn 11 at Sears if you are pointing at the wall on exit you early apexed the turn.
DE line or race line? In a race, when I exit 11 and roll on the throttle, I am pointing at the wall.....of course I am not typically taking the classic single apex DE line either. I thank anyone who does for making passing them easier!
Old 07-19-2014, 11:07 PM
techno99
Racer

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Want to add another place that will bite you big time. Start/Finisn line at Sebring in the wet, you can bounce between the walls like a Ping pong ball.
Or poke a really big hole in the wall if you really mess it up.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:54 AM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

every corner on merit parkway is dangerous at 120+mph, there are no dangerous corners at the race track design to race on !
Old 07-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I wonder if that's the same stuff they use at COTA. I walked up to T1 and got a close look. The COTA barriers are two rows of blocks. The outer facing is continuous. On the inside there are air gaps so the inside row is not continuous. They are pretty deep. There are also cables strung through them IIRC.

On problem may be they have to be designed into the place. It looked like a lot of engineering, I'm not sure that one could just stack these up next to an existing wall.

-Mike
Mike,

I think the wreck that is being referenced was the one of a GT3 hitting oil dropped on the track at the end of the front straight at Circuit de Catalunya. He was doing 160 mph when he hit the oil. This is an F1 track so it does have very similar safety systems as COTA.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...t-160-mph.html

My wife and I had dinner with the driver and his wife last year when we were in Avignon. While the picture of the car didn't look too bad it was 50K Euros and several months for the repair. He obviously was fortunate to scrub off a tremendous amount of speed before the impact. I think he estimates he was going 60mph when he contacted the barrier.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Prof: I doubt I have as many laps at Nelson's as you, but I have seen more cars climb the tires and end up in the woods than just bruised.

Agree on Mosport, love that place, but, damn!

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Hmmm...no love for the Nelsonring....

Der Professor, having regularly rattled cars off the tirewalls at the Ledges over the last few decades, begs to differ. While they are unattractive, filled with bug sperm / frog snot, and are a breeding ground for an assortment of flying /crawling / slithering pests, they do serve the racer well. A hit to the belted tire piles at the Glen / LRP / Mid-O / RA will be hard and likely tear something important off your car, a hit at Nelson is a more docile whack. Tires launch, frog snot flies, woodchucks are disrupted, but there is no sharp "impulse hit", as the energy is slowly dissipated. Result ? Willie and the tow crew pull you off the wall, and you're amazed how how little damage is actually done.

I contrast that with all the other tracks where I've had "big ones" (VIR, WGI, LRP, Summit, Mosport...jeezuz, is there any place I haven't hit something ?), where I needed a spatula and squeegee to put the remains of the car back in / on the trailer.

Mosport, aside from being on my short "favorite tracks" list, scares the **** out of me. T2, pre-moving the outside wall back (late 90's-ish ?) was soul-curdling pucker-fest all the way down the hill. That freakin Tarzwell guy from Ontario used to regularly tell me how much I sucked at T2. ("yeah, thanks for the encouragement, Bob..."). T4 was a hoot until that lone white birch died...now I got nowhere to aim...but as long as you got to the bottom pointed mostly forward, you weren't going to wad it up.

If you're going "fast enough", T2 at Mosport...still the scariest place on earth.

Quick Reply: Most Dangerous Corners in the US?