Sponsored by:

What to put on a third set of track wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 08:18 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
Default What to put on a third set of track wheels

(I posted this yesterday, but it got lost in the switchover)

I'm running a 944S2 in F Stock club Racing.

I have a set of Hoosiers on 17" Fikse wheels I use for qualifying and sprint races.
(I get my best times with these)

I have a set of Michie PSCs on 17" 993 Cup wheels which I use for practice, enduros and wet, but not drenched, conditions. (Expensive but durable) I also occasionally put these on the 993 for autocross.

The car came with Yokos on 16" Design 90 (the disc-like OE wheel). I had been using these to learn new tracks, and to get the car back and forth to the race shop. These Yokos are pretty well spent.

So I'm wondering what to replace them with.

Street tires that can be dedicated rain tires, and that my son can do his initial DEs on?

Another set of relatively inexpensive R tires, like Yokos or Kuhmos, that I can use the same way as the old Yokos?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, opinions or insights.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:25 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

My vote based on the info above would be:
1 set of Hoosiers on Fikses qual/race
1 set hand cut Hoosiers (super rain tire)**
1 set of Mich cups for wet/dry combo line, autocross, street

** hand cut Hoosiers are not legal in PCA but nobody seems to care.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:20 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Mike,
Look at the Toyo RA1's. They are a good rain tire when full tread and will wear like iron for DE's. Street tires are horrible rain tires, don't go there.

If you need some call Dave Schardt at Wheel Source. He is very reasonable and knows his stuff.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:26 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,
I have a set of Pirelli P-Zero -C's on my 'track' wheels. IMHO, I believe they have a deeper tread than the MPSC's, so you may have better wet-traction.

Although these are my first R-compound tires, and I have nothing to compare them against, they seems to be wearing well, and the available grip is really beyond what I was used to with street tires.

Plus, if you get another DOT legal R-compound tire, you can do side-by-side comparisons of the MPCS's vs. the Pirelli's.

HTH,
-Z.

PS: Got the HWFMR sticker: I will wear it proudly at my next autox event!
Whooo hooo!! (BTW: I am undefeated in my class this year...hehehehe)
Old 07-15-2003, 02:59 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

For a great PCA legal rain tire use the Goodyear ZRS Gatorbacks fully treaded (8/32). They're a soft compound, come in sizes for your car (225/50-16 and 245/45-16) and will last 2-3 seasons if used in the rain only.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:00 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Bill, Greg, Z and Julian

Thanks much for the suggestions. All good ideas.

Bill
Once the Hoosiers are cut, does it seriously hurt their dry performance? In other words, will they be pretty much rain only?

Greg

Welcome back. Thanks for the tip on the Toyos. I had forgotten about them. And I should have a good rapport with the Schardts. They passed me enough at Putnam.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:56 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Mike in Chi
l
Once the Hoosiers are cut, does it seriously hurt their dry performance? In other words, will they be pretty much rain only?

Greg

Welcome back. Thanks for the tip on the Toyos. I had forgotten about them. And I should have a good rapport with the Schardts. They passed me enough at Putnam.
Mike,
You don't want to run the Hoosiers in the dry with grooves. Lots of squirm and much, much slower. But in the rain they are great. Feel lucky that the Schardt's ringer didn't run in the last race, he would have lapped us even quicker...
Old 07-17-2003, 08:23 AM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somebody tipped me that Hoosier "Dirt Blockers" are really good for use as rains. Anybody try 'em?
Old 07-17-2003, 08:24 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

JC,
I think the problem with them is that they have very few tire sizes available. I think they are coming out with a DOT rain tire as well as a new DOT radial before the first of the year.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:39 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Greg/JC,
I have been speaking with Hoosier about the new tires coming out. Yes there will be a PCA "legal" rain tire as well as a steel belted track tire that will have 2x the life of the current Hoosier (the belt will reduce the cure time on the race rubber) 1st production run is going to be in SCCA sizes, 16/17 18's should be aval by Sept. FYI when the new tires come out the old style will be discounted.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:46 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Eric,
Thanks for the info. Can't wait for the new tire. Ran the MPSC's and while they are great tires i was not able to get my times below were my car was on Hoosier's two years ago at Putnam Park a month ago. Not having them probably cost me my first overall win.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:54 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

I hear you Greg,
The MPSC are a great DE/practice tire because they wear so well but every one I know with both sets has picked up 2-5 secs when putting the Hoosiers on. Next season I will have a set of the MPSC for practice as each heat cycle on the Hoosiers costs us 100.00!
I am still waiting for the promised 235's in the MPSC. I have not checked in a month or so but they were to be aval in July.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Eric,
I wouldn't worry too much about the 235's, the 225's are fine. I ran them with the 295's at Putnam. Compared to the 265's I did have on the front they heated up quicker and I didn't really notice any difference in balance or increase in understeer. Michelin's like a wide rim and you aren't doing any good by putting a larger tire on the same size rim.

I hate it when you put $$ to this hobby/addiction. It is not supposed to make sense.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:35 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

thanks for the info on the cut wheels Greg. You emphasis on winning seems to be counter to team principles.

The new Hoosiers sound promising. A little tire war and the racers benefit.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:50 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Full tread Toyo RA-1's are great rain tires. They of course can be run in the dry, but will not be as fast as the Hoosiers and probably the MPSC as well.

Probably good for the 16" wheels.

Yokohama has come out with w A032R Soft compound that is supposed to have more grip than their old compound.

Quick Reply: What to put on a third set of track wheels