HaHaHaHaHa

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013 | 09:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Land Jet
**** off.
you just couldn't help being your self righteous self..
Couldn't have projected more, could ya?
Old 10-08-2013 | 10:18 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Speaking of hotness in motorsport, has anyone seen the smokin chicks in the NHRA lately? Seriously. Very hot and a bunch of them. NHRA is not getting the credit for this. I thought Leah Pruett was an umbrella girl or something. She's the flippin driver! A guy could play quarters on that behind

Went to my first drag race last weekend. Quite a spectacle. Was not ready for the effect 20,000 hp has as it goes by you. Literally had my eyeballs vibrating.
Old 10-08-2013 | 11:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Streak
Speaking of hotness in motorsport, has anyone seen the smokin chicks in the NHRA lately? Seriously. Very hot and a bunch of them. NHRA is not getting the credit for this. I thought Leah Pruett was an umbrella girl or something. She's the flippin driver! A guy could play quarters on that behind

Went to my first drag race last weekend. Quite a spectacle. Was not ready for the effect 20,000 hp has as it goes by you. Literally had my eyeballs vibrating.
Yep

and double yep

Old 10-09-2013 | 06:26 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

I guess nobody should have any opinion that differs from you guys.
Old 10-09-2013 | 08:10 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Nice Gary,

Anymore picts? Must consider a new motor sport.
Old 10-09-2013 | 10:54 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Finding humor in a racer wrecking on a racing forum is not an opinion, it's simply bad form.
Old 10-09-2013 | 11:12 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Old 10-09-2013 | 11:17 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Finding humor in a racer wrecking on a racing forum is not an opinion, it's simply bad form.

+ 911SC
Old 10-10-2013 | 11:17 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

ab
Old 10-10-2013 | 11:24 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I wasn't 100% sure before, but now I am.

As it has been edited, I should put what I was responding to so all may see -

Personally I'd like to see Danika put into the wall at every race. HA.

Last edited by Gary R.; 10-10-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-10-2013 | 11:33 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I completely agree with that but when talking about how big part of NASCAR the wrecks are, that itself is in a way rather humorous.

Can you imagine the amount of NASCAR fans if there were zero wrecks?
I'd venture a guess that more than 50% of the fans would no longer be fans or maybe even more: would there be NASCAR without the wrecks?

That raises another question: When was a last NASCAR race with no wreck?

I went to the always reliable internet and there was an answer that in 2002 Talladega was the last time with no caution (which can be assumed that wrecks are the same although they do have bunch of "competition yellows" as well).
Don't have time to search more and have no idea if that's true or not but if it is, 10+ years of wrecking in every race is pretty damn funny.
(not funny in a way that people can get hurt, you know what I mean)
Old 10-10-2013 | 12:15 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

When was the last time there was a road race with no wrecks? We can't even get through a PCA club race 15 lap sprint without a couple. Wrecks are a part of racing but most people don't think they are the good part.

I don't think most go to nascar races for the wrecks. I have gone to a couple and type of racing aside I have to say I liked that I could SEE the race. At a road race we see cars come into view and then leave. The next time around we see the cars and one is not in front of the other or missing and we are left to wonder what happened or use other methods of getting info about the ongoing race. There is a visual and mental continuity to a roundy roundy race that is just not there with a road race. Some people just don't get into watching 1/4 of a movie in little chunks and have someone announce about the 3/4 you don't see.

YMMV.
Old 10-10-2013 | 01:51 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

IMHO, wrecks are part of nascar. just like fighting in hockey.

back to the OP, this was the KC race, right? where they repaved it last year?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/rac...ved-tracks.ap/
------------------------------------------------------------------

NASCAR drivers raging about recent repaved tracks

KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) -- Pat Warren brought a chunk of asphalt into the media center at Kansas Speedway last year and dropped it onto a table with a thud that seemed to reverberate throughout the room.

It was compelling evidence of the need to repave the racetrack.

Speedway president understood that the side-by-side, multi-groove racing that had made Kansas a favorite among drivers would be jeopardized by replacing the decade-old asphalt with fresh stuff. But he also knew that the risk of having another softball-sized chunk of pavement coming up during a race, and maybe smashing into a car at 200 mph, wasn't worth it.

"The general perception of drivers is not positive about repaves," Warren said. "They worry about what the track is going to be like when they come back."

It's a worry that proved valid in Sunday's Sprint Cup race.

Race winner Kevin Harvick said it was like driving on a "razor blade." Runner-up Kurt Busch and third-place driver Jimmie Johnson called it "treacherous." Chase contender Kyle Busch, who has crashed out of each Sprint Cup race at Kansas since last year's repave, may have been most harsh.

"The racetrack," he said, "is the worst racetrack I've ever driven on."

ANDERSON: Lame duck Harvick as shot at winning the Chase

Roughly a dozen tracks on the Sprint Cup circuit have undergone repaves in the last decade, most out of necessity. Pavement tends to slip down the grade over time, resulting in seams in the corners, and big chunks like the one found at Kansas create safety hazards.

One of the most infamous issues was the gaping pothole that developed during the 2010 running of the Daytona 500, causing a delay in NASCAR's signature race.

The new surfaces solve that problem, but it also creates new ones.

There isn't enough abrasiveness on the new asphalt to lay down rubber, and that keeps cars from sticking in the corners. The result is a single-file parade rather than the passing that makes races exciting. The repaves also have produced higher speeds, and more heat in tires, and that's led to concerns about blistering and overall durability.

Goodyear has developed a "multi-zone" tread in part to deal with repaves. It has two distinct sections, one intended to provide grip and the other to provide durability. But finding that happy medium between traction and tire wear is proving to be a challenge.

"They continuously put the tire company and the competitors in a box with the type of asphalt they put on the track," Harvick said. "Goodyear has done a fine job of putting together a tire with the cards they're dealt, but we still have a lot of issues."

That was evidenced by a record 15 cautions in Sunday's race.

"Goodyear is doing the best they can, but these surfaces are too smooth," Jeff Gordon said. "We don't want bumps - I'm not talking about bumps. I'm talking about the abrasiveness."

Smooth is a good thing on highways and driveways, and welcomed by passenger cars. It's not such a good thing on racetracks, and doesn't work so well with racecars.

"To me, it's really the surface. We're paving the racetracks with what we pave new highways with, and it's not a highway," Gordon said. "We had the same issue in Phoenix, at Darlington. We have had the same issue at every repave that we've had the last six or seven years."

It's a catch-22, of course. Drivers want the rough, weathered surface that allows for side-by-side racing, but those same surfaces are usually on the brink of failure. Several drivers said that NASCAR needs to begin researching ways to improve the asphalt that is put down on tracks, rather than relying on Goodyear to provide a tire that works.

Such an endeavor would be costly and time-consuming - and may prove to be fruitless.

"We always hope we can have more grip and be able to race side by side and have a comfort level to reproduce a show where fans want to come out and we see sellouts, and we need to put on a better show on the track," Kurt Busch said. "And for that to happen, we have to have Goodyear, the drivers, the teams, the tracks on the same page. Right now we're close, but I think we swung and we missed on tire combo this weekend."
Old 10-10-2013 | 02:10 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

I don't care where it happened, if you are a highly paid professional race car driver, and especially one who has been over-hyped as such, then you should know enough about car control to get past the first turn of the first lap. Even I, an utter amateur, knows not to push my cold tires on the first lap.

And yes I did post " Personally I'd like to see Danika put into the wall at every race". I'm not a fan and I'd be fine with that. Not saying I want to see her hurt, just continually seeing her with egg on her face.

I know VR would like to put something else on her face.
Old 10-10-2013 | 02:22 PM
TheDatanator
Instructor

I don't care where it happened, if you are a highly paid professional race car driver, and especially one who has been over-hyped as such, then you should know enough about car control to get past the first turn of the first lap. Even I, an utter amateur, knows not to push my cold tires on the first lap. And yes I did post " Personally I'd like to see Danika put into the wall at every race". I'm not a fan and I'd be fine with that. Not saying I want to see her hurt, just continually seeing her with egg on her face. I know VR would like to put something else on her face.
Unnecessary and juvenile.

Quick Reply: HaHaHaHaHa