Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,835 Likes on 953 Posts
Default VIR Repaving and Widening

Saturday Special: VIR Gearing Up For the Future

Virginia International Raceway announces track repaving project
Thrilled to be part of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship’s inaugural season, Virginia International Raceway will be taking major steps to provide an enhanced experience when the unified series returns to the circuit next August.

“We are extremely pleased to be part of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship,” said track owner and CEO Connie Nyholm, pointing out that VIR was one of 12 circuits chosen for the new series after GRAND-AM and the ALMS ran a combined 26 events at 22 venues.

To get ready for 2014, the entire 3.27-mile circuit will be repaved and expanded by six feet in several key areas. Pit road will be widened, with room to be expanded if needed, while the start/finish line will be relocated closer to Turn 1.

In addition, the entire paddock will be repaved.

“We’re looking to have the IMSA teams come back to a proper paddock next year,” said Kerrigan Smith, director of track operations. “We’re also making changes to enhance the fan experience. For instance, the current start/finish line is out of the fans’ field of vision. By moving it, it will give the fans in our grandstands in Turn 1 a chance to see the finish.”

The track was last paved in 1999 in preparation for the circuit’s reopening in 2000. It will maintain the original 1957 configuration.

“It won’t change the character of the track,” Kerrigan said. “You have to remember, VIR was not drawn on a computer. ... it was designed back in the late Fifties by enthusiasts.”

The track added the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East in 2013, although the ALMS weekend is the track’s largest annual event. The track reported advance sales for today’s race was significantly higher than last year.

“I saw Patrick Dempsey this morning, and he told me the competitors love racing the historic, natural terrain road courses,” Nyholm said. “He’s happy the new series will be coming here next year.”

VIR has other plans for the future, paving is the main priority.
“It really needs the repaving,” Kerrigan said. “We’re done doctoring it. We’re taking one bite out of the elephant at a time. Hopefully, every time you come to our track, you’ll see something new.”

“Something new” will eventually include a new oak tree to replace the iconic tree located on the inside of Turn 12 that toppled following heavy rains back in July. Circuit officials had the tree sent out tissue samples in hopes to eventually cloning the 200-plus year-old tree. However, they plan to replant it in a spectator area across from the original location.

http://www.alms.com/articles/saturda...gearing-future
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Paving the paddock!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:09 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

It says "re-paving the paddock" I wouldn't get your hopes up. Wider in 1-2-4 and the flat esses could be interesting.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:28 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cloning the Oak tree? Wow, that Oak was seriously well loved!
Old 10-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
It says "re-paving the paddock" I wouldn't get your hopes up. Wider in 1-2-4 and the flat esses could be interesting.
Well it definitely needs new dirt and gravel: I seem to take a lot home with me every time I load a hot car in the trailer.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:03 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

One of the long time security guys mentioned they were paving the entire paddock. He said look for an announcement soon. Lets hope this is what they mean by "proper paddock".
Old 10-06-2013, 11:09 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by RobT 394
One of the long time security guys mentioned they were paving the entire paddock. He said look for an announcement soon. Lets hope this is what they mean by "proper paddock".
If it's true, that's very exciting. I wonder what happens to the no jacking on the asphalt rule?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:14 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,792 Posts

See Barber's rules...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-06-2013, 11:46 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RobT 394
Will be happy to loose the Grit/sand/dust storms that develop on windy days, by loosing all that crush stone that's turned to dust. But it will certainly make that paddock hotter. Don't know about the PCA & NASA race and Chin events in late Jun/Jul. They were tough as it was.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:33 PM
vette6autox
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
If you look at the high lighted areas on the map it shows the whole paddock being paved.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
Will be happy to loose the Grit/sand/dust storms that develop on windy days, by loosing all that crush stone that's turned to dust. But it will certainly make that paddock hotter. Don't know about the PCA & NASA race and Chin events in late Jun/Jul. They were tough as it was.
Same first thing I thought. It's gonna be miserable hot in July.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,835 Likes on 953 Posts

It would be great if they sprung for concrete in the paddock. Cost is higher but it lasts roughly 4x longer than asphalt, handles fuel/oil spills better, and has much lower heat soak.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Perhaps they will consider a light colored aggregate for the pave; see - http://www.graniterock.com/technical...intenance.html. If not they might as well close for July. It is already difficult to get folks out for the Zone 2 Race because of the heat. With blacktop I think organizers will have a very difficult time filling rosters. I won't go during that time of year, instead I head north to Watkins Glen.

Quick Reply: VIR Repaving and Widening