Sponsored by:

Huge crash at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 11:10 AM
obxr
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch the video from the 1:05 mark.
(You can click on the progress bar repeatedly to loop it at that point.) The cars will enter the picture from the lower left. Keep your eye on Cisneros' car.

Keep in mind that the left edge of the pavement is not straight there as you approach the corner. An apron is added there at the approach. Doesn't Cisneros turn in on Holzer AFTER Holzer is completely alongside of him? And isn't Holzer a nose ahead when they make contact? And there doesn't seem to be any tire smoke from Holzer until the moment they make contact. Looks to me like his right rear is locked by contact from Ciseros' car at that point. And as others have said, there doesn't seem to be any good reason for Cisneros to be in a guard position at that point.

Seems to me that they were both overly aggressive for that stage of the race, at that section of the track, with two different class cars. But looking repeatedly from the camera angle behind the cars, it appears to me that Cisneros initiated a turn in toward the apex AFTER Holzer was clearly alongside of him rather than giving him the line.

Whatever - glad they both were OK!

Last edited by obxr; 10-07-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:25 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Look at this CNN story: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rial&hpt=hp_t2

"Spectators Narrowly Dodge Airborne Car in Scary Crash."

Really? Spectators????????

they corrected that to workers. probably after reading your post.... lol

Originally Posted by ilko
A bit of a contrarian view from me on this accident. It was the flagger's fault, assuming the Cup car didn't see the RSR. Because if he did, he should've lifted. The flagger was supposed to warn the GTC drivers of approaching faster traffic and there was no blue flag waving. The guy was casually holding it. I don't see this as Holzer's fault.
can't blame any accident for lack of a blue flag. its information only. like a slippery flag. still drivers responsibility not to crash.

-that 2nd angle looking down track kind changes my opinion of that incident...

Last edited by mrbill_fl; 10-07-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:58 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To me it looks like the white car turned into the other one, like something broke or it was pulled up against it by them being so close. You would think the white car would have gone towards the apex more, but it's probably hard to turn in from the middle.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkadi
I wondered if something broke on the white car? It was such a poor move otherwise.
+1
Old 10-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally just my opinon here, but did anyone else notice this and think it contributed?

I am sure Eduardo had a lot on his mind right there. First, he does not have the same experience level as his brother Henrique. He normally runs in the IMSA Cup while Henrique has been in the ALMS for a few years now. Couple that with the fact that the MOMO NGT (H. Cisneros/S. Edwards) was just behind the Weathertech (C. MacNeil/J. Bleekemolen) who are both Championship contenders. Do you think it is possible that Eduardo was asked to help his brother's car and in doing so got a little flustered with Holzer being so close? I would think there was some gamesmanship going on there, no?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats racing!

imo the gtc car was more at fault.

hes not racing anyone and should have given marco more space
Old 10-08-2013, 10:21 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 857 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
Thats racing!

imo the gtc car was more at fault.

hes not racing anyone and should have given marco more space
Ridiculous!

The fault is with the person whose actions directly caused the wreck. The GTC car, even if the driver had it in the "wrong" place, cannot be blamed for this. No matter what, it is the responsibility of the car making the pass to do so without causing a wreck. Marco is the one that moved over into the GTC car which had no chance to react.

Marco had the option to enter the upcoming corner without making contact. He would have been on a less than ideal line, but so what?

Scott
Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Originally Posted by winders
Ridiculous!
No matter what, it is the responsibility of the car making the pass to do so without causing a wreck. Marco is the one that moved over into the GTC car which had no chance to react.

Marco had the option to enter the upcoming corner without making contact. He would have been on a less than ideal line, but so what?

Scott
you're using club race logic on pro racing.

If you are a slower car in a race its YOUR job to use your mirrors and be AWARE of the other races going on.. you and the cars in your class are not the only ones on the track... especially when the leaders of your class are about to lap you..theres a race going on, and you're not in it"

this does not give one the right to fight a faster car for space on the track or to drive mid track and say "it up to you to pass me and not hit me"
Old 10-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Holzer tried to bend the car right, to widen his arc into the climbing esses, just as Cisneros bent the car left to enter them.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:47 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Holzer tried to bend the car right, to widen his arc into the climbing esses, just as Cisneros bent the car left to enter them.
Yep, they proved the principal that two objects can not occupy the same space.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:57 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 857 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
you're using club race logic on pro racing.

If you are a slower car in a race its YOUR job to use your mirrors and be AWARE of the other races going on.. you and the cars in your class are not the only ones on the track... especially when the leaders of your class are about to lap you..theres a race going on, and you're not in it"

this does not give one the right to fight a faster car for space on the track or to drive mid track and say "it up to you to pass me and not hit me"
No, I am not using club racing logic.

Here is the ALMS rule on the subject:

6.17.1 PASSING

It is the responsibility of both the overtaking Driver and the Driver being overtaken to assure safe overtaking at racing speeds. A car traveling alone may use the full width of the track. Overtaking may be either right or left depending on the conditions of the moment.

The car being passed did not initiate contact and had no chance to avoid it.

A car in a lower class does not have the to slow down and move over for a car in a higher class. Watch an ALMS race and you will see the cars in the faster class having to deal with lower class cars and not punt them off the track.

The slower cars do move over on the straights, but they don't ruin their entries into corners just to accommodate the higher class cars.

Scott
Old 10-09-2013, 02:03 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
The slower cars do move over on the straights, but they don't ruin their entries into corners just to accommodate the higher class cars.
Actually, they do. It's called working together. The good drivers in either the over-taking car or the one being over-taken position their car so that in most cases they both lose as little time as possible.. especially early in the race. You won't see that change until the end of the race when everything goes out the window and you use whatever is at your disposal to help gain an advantage on those in your class (including using other cars as "picks".. goes for both the faster and slower classes).

You know what happens if you don't work together out there? Big wrecks like this.

-mike
Old 10-09-2013, 06:28 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Originally Posted by fleadh
Actually, they do. It's called working together. The good drivers in either the over-taking car or the one being over-taken position their car so that in most cases they both lose as little time as possible.. especially early in the race. You won't see that change until the end of the race when everything goes out the window and you use whatever is at your disposal to help gain an advantage on those in your class (including using other cars as "picks".. goes for both the faster and slower classes).

You know what happens if you don't work together out there? Big wrecks like this.

-mike

100% agree and Mike would know since he not only competes in ALMS GTC and was in this particular race.

Multiclass racing is a lot of fun and I enjoy the challenge of managing traffic while managing lap times.. but when others dont have the same awareness or dont work together.. like Mike said "big wrecks happen" we see it almost every weekend and it will continue to happen "thats racing"
Old 10-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
That is the yellow flag person. They are supposed to be looking down track. Notice the other flagger tell her to get out of the way.
I was taught to always keep an eye on the blue flagger, and if his eyes got really big, duck! Don't wait for him to say something.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:17 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
If the goal of both drivers was to bend their cars around the corner I have to say there was a measure of sucess.

Quick Reply: Huge crash at VIR