Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Mid Life Crisis: 2 Porsches->0 this week

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:01 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 459 Posts

BRZ is a great choice. Throw on some MCS shocks, sways, bigger tires and rims and you are good to go with a full warrenty

Peter
Old 09-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Something like this is the plan. I have been follow Vorschlag's build.

I'm going to start with some pads and fluid for Putnam in October.
Maybe a few other things if I have time.

Then I'm going to put some Blizzaks on it and hoon it in the winter.

Some cool facts I've found out:

Factory race car/series in Japan with 6 point cage, oil cooler, brake cooling ducts, and decontented for weight loss ("baby Cup car" ) Very cool to know there are factory options out there for this stuff.

Chassis has factory hard points for cage mounting (designed for integral cage)

The car has dual fuel pumps & 2 injectors/cyl for the port and direct injection sytems (uses both). This gives it overhead to run an E85 tune, without hardware upgrades - worth around 20-25 HP.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Somehow, I could never get interested in a Miata, but this is fun!

Last edited by Sterling Doc; 09-24-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:07 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 459 Posts

The SCCA Solo AutoX boys have the formula down pat for suspension and tuning The E85 tune works really well with the direct injection motor and adding headers helps even more. Only downside to the E85 and ECU tune is that the warranty will probably go away.

Jon Miller holds the Florida NASA TTD record at Sebing with an E85 tune. The records aren't updated yet but IIRC he ran a 2:31.++ Of course we expect to beat that TTD record when the Civic Si is fully built for TTD

I am actually looking at getting a BRZ/FRS when the wife gets tired of the Z4M Coupe.

Peter
Old 09-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
The SCCA Solo AutoX boys have the formula down pat for suspension and tuning The E85 tune works really well with the direct injection motor and adding headers helps even more. Only downside to the E85 and ECU tune is that the warranty will probably go away.

Jon Miller holds the Florida NASA TTD record at Sebing with an E85 tune. The records aren't updated yet but IIRC he ran a 2:31.++ Of course we expect to beat that TTD record when the Civic Si is fully built for TTD

I am actually looking at getting a BRZ/FRS when the wife gets tired of the Z4M Coupe.

Peter
Well, you'll save some fuel, but the Z4M is one unique, and cool car, especially in coupe form.

Last edited by Sterling Doc; 09-24-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:42 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
Well, I finally found a BRZ to drive, and was completely smitten - so much fun for so little money [$25K]. All my thoughts of getting another used high-end maintenance ***** vanished. All the major controls are just perfectly judged. Light is right! Bye-bye Fraulein, hello Geisha!

I'll have another Porsche again when the Spyders, or Cayman R's come down, but for right now, this BRZ is too fun to pass up, and so cheap to run. Got 34 MPG driving 200 miles today, with the kids in the back. It feels very much like a very modern take on the 944.

You don't see this in a Subaru dealer much

This explains the car well (GT86=BRZ):

Toyota GT86 / Scion FR-S v Nissan 370Z v Used Porsche Cayman S - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube
Awesome--there's nothing like a BRAND-NEW car for the road AND track--ran with a couple of those @ Mosport recently and they did very well right out of the box.

My mindset was similar to yours when I bought my Mini and I became so enamored with the car that I started tracking it full-time and bought another new one for a DD (lots to be said for inexpensive cars!).

My dealer is absolutely fantastic--when I wore out my rear pads at the track I went to buy new ones before my tech there gently reminded me that they can be replaced for free under warranty. Can't beat that

Enjoy your new car!
Gary
Old 09-24-2013, 11:27 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

^ BTW Gary, I've seen you out at Mosport a few times - you can really wheel that little Mini
Old 09-24-2013, 12:23 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 285 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jdistefa
^ BTW Gary, I've seen you out at Mosport a few times - you can really wheel that little Mini
It's the car.....it's poSSESSed

Thanks for the kind words, Matt....be up there Oct 2-3; hope to see you!
Old 09-24-2013, 12:42 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Will likely see you Oct 2. I'm in the blue 993 beastie. Come by and say hi. Will enjoy watching you shame the 'fast' cars on corner entry speed
Old 09-25-2013, 12:25 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

JS, It is fun playing giant killer with a "little car"

---------------

It didn't take long to start tinkering with it.

I put it on the scales tonight. It is nearly perfectly corner balanced with me (177lbs) in it - cross weights well under 20lbs off. Nice to know they were paying attention to these things.

Started working on seeing how light we can get it:

Ordered some Kosei K1 - TS's and Michelin Pilot Supersports. for about a 20lbs saving in unsprung mass. Getting close to 2,600lbs with about 1/2 tank of fuel.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:41 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
The BRZ honestly sounds like a lot of fun. I've been on the track with several of them, and they go pretty well all things considered. But after watching Chris Harris' 'pro-BRZ' video, I'm not sure that I understand why someone would choose the BRZ over the used Cayman. Maybe I need to watch it again, but he pretty much concluded that the used Cayman was superior in every way - for less money than a new BRZ. Did I miss something, or is the value of MPG and brake pads being covered under warranty far more than I realize?

Last edited by RSAErick; 09-25-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Reverse Mid Life Crisis: 2 Porsches->0 this week