Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys use for shift lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013 | 04:42 AM
quirky
5th Gear

What do you find is the best RPM range to program the lights?

I've had one (Ecliptech) sitting on the shelf for years but have never gotten around to installing it. This thread is getting me motivated to do so, though!

My first thought is to set the first light On at the beginning of the torque peak , and the shift point at the top of the torque curve. (My car has a pretty flat torque curve from about 4K to 7K, with redline at 7.8K.)

However, I'm wondering if you find any advantage to having the first light come on sooner (at a lower RPM)? Similarly, is there any advantage to put the shift point higher (closer to the redline RPM)?

Or some other scheme?
Old 10-31-2013 | 08:47 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jerry, that's why I added the Ecliptech. I wanted something that was more in my driving line of sight so I could avoid shifting my view downward. I mounted the Ecliptech right on top of the dash so it gives the same sightlines are the Motec Shift Lights that come on the later 997 Cups. Obviously, I don't get as much info as the Motec Shift Lights will provide, but for RPM ranges, it works perfectly!
Old 10-31-2013 | 09:23 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Quirky

I like setting shift lights near rev limit, spaced out enough to provide some time, second gear revs very quickly. If you have them on for the full torque range then they are pretty much always on and you'll start to ignore them.
Old 11-01-2013 | 12:46 AM
quirky
5th Gear

Originally Posted by amso3
Quirky

I like setting shift lights near rev limit, spaced out enough to provide some time, second gear revs very quickly. If you have them on for the full torque range then they are pretty much always on and you'll start to ignore them.
Jerry,
Thanks for the reply! That makes a lot of sense, and likely what I see when watching F1 on TV (although it is hard to tell exactly where they set the lights when everything happens so fast!) So by "near" do you find 1000 RPM range works well, or ??
Bill
Old 11-01-2013 | 01:26 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

My "hard" redline is 7000 on my race car. My HP peak is 6100 rpm, torque peak 4550.

I set the five lights to 6100/6400/6600/6800/6900. Wider at the bottom, narrower spread at the top.

The lights are set to ALL flash when it goes over 6900. All set.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-01-2013 | 08:52 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Default Shift Lights

In Motec and AIM (not like Ecliptech) you can set the rpm for each light. I do similar to Peter and start with a 200 spread and change to 100 for the upper 3 lights.
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2013 | 09:28 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hey Jerry, I put a G-Dash in my car for COTA last week and the gear specific shift lights are really cool! That thing is awesome!
Old 11-01-2013 | 10:17 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

My racecar came set up with a simple in-your-face Pro-Shift light with the installed module at redline. It goes on when you get there. Why make something simple complicated when there's already too much going on?
Old 11-02-2013 | 02:14 PM
quirky
5th Gear

Originally Posted by raspritz
My racecar came set up with a simple in-your-face Pro-Shift light with the installed module at redline. It goes on when you get there. Why make something simple complicated when there's already too much going on?
That also makes good sense. Since I'm a techie kind-of-guy, however, I'm pretty sure I'd like a little more information than "oh poop, I'm already blasting through redline!!!!"

Originally Posted by amso3
I actually rely on my shift lights on my Pista to make sure I'm running the engine hard enough. With open exhaust and ear plugs, it is tough to determine that you are high enough revs to make the upshift, otherwise you fall off the torque curve.
Exactly! I have a similar problem, but for a different reason. I run a very quiet, stock exhaust (to make sound at Laguna Seca). This, combined with a great deal of buffeting inside the car, makes it hard to hear the engine.

This creates several problems, including difficulty gauging the correct amount of blip when down****ing. Hitting the limiter is shared with sometimes falling off the torque curve. When I used to run a loud exhaust I didn't have as much trouble with rev matching or shift points.

This is why I was considering setting the bottom light near the bottom of the (very broad) torque plateau; all lights out would mean I'm about to drop out of the power band and flashing lights would mean upshift NOW!

Does this make any sense?

Last edited by quirky; 11-02-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-02-2013 | 02:37 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raspritz
I like having a range of shift lights, tells me where I am in my power band without me trying to see tach numbers. There are times when I want/need to wind her out to max and times when just being in the upper side of max torque is what I want before I shift.
Old 11-02-2013 | 03:33 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Quirky

Makes sense to me. There is not a perfect solution that works for everyone, as this thread demonstrates. I actually was considering adding an alarm at Sebring to show me if I fall under 80 mph in turn 1. Lots of ways to use this stuff.
Old 11-26-2013 | 08:32 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default 993 install?

Anyone install the Ecliptech in a 993?
Thanks
Rich

Quick Reply: What do you guys use for shift lights?