Sponsored by:

PFC08 Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:44 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Default PFC08 Brake Dust

By definition, those that frequent this forum focus on driving their cars rather than polishing them. My track rat falls into this category, the oil is immaculate, the brake fluid is fresh, the rest of car is a bit grungy and the paint is littered with rubber marks.

Anyhoo, it's September in Texas so DE season is starting back up. Last March I put PFC08 pads on for the first time. I've had been using PFC06's since 2009. I drive the car on the street as well, and this makes the rims look filthy with brake dust. The car is going in for new shoes next week and while I had the wheels off for the September brake flush I went about washing them. It's also a good time to check them for cracks.

Holy crap that PFC08 dust sticks! It laughed at soap and water that worked on PFC06 dust. A little forum searching revealed this stuff called LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner which worked pretty well (not bad for a buck at the local dollar store), but there is still some stuff crusted on there that going to take heavy buffing to get it off.

Bottom line, is if you care about how your wheels look, don't let the 08 dust sit on them for very long. At least that has been my experience. Fortunately for me, these are just a set of Koesi K1 track wheels, so it doesn't bother me enough to buff them clean. The 08s feel a bit better on the track than the 06s, but I'd go back to 06s because of this if they were available.

-Mike
Old 09-08-2013, 08:22 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I recently discovered Simple Green Extreme Aircraft cleaner...amazing stuff, safe on exotic metals, paint, carbon fiber,etc...give it a try. bought a gallon jug on Amazon.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:35 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

+1 on the brake dust from PFC 08's ... i have 996TT brakes on my car and i can't believe the amount of dust as compared to the Pagids i have been using previously !

Anything recommended for black anodized Fikse wheels ???

Cheers
Phil
Old 09-10-2013, 11:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 778 Posts

Yes, the black shoots out the wheels F1 style :-)
I never wash my track wheels and the car washer guy seems to get it off the clear bra just fine.

Quick Reply: PFC08 Brake Dust