Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would you spec a used Cayman S for advanced DE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 05:40 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default How would you spec a used Cayman S for advanced DE?

For a friend (not me; I love my car)
If you were looking for a drive-to-the-track DE car to run in the instructor run group, what would you look for in terms of:
* year(s) manufactured
* desirable factory options
* factory options to avoid
* post-factory mods for reliability and handling
Also - how would you change this if it was trailered?
Cost is important but not primary.
Thanks in advance
Old 08-27-2013, 05:47 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like a interseries car, with a 3.8

seriously, have your friend contact Tim Olsen, he will get him set up with what he needs/can afford
Old 08-27-2013, 06:25 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by IPguy
like a interseries car, with a 3.8

seriously, have your friend contact Tim Olsen, he will get him set up with what he needs/can afford
Thanks
By which you mean a spec similar to how they they spec'd that series?
Not the actual series cars, I assume (which are not streetable?).
Old 08-27-2013, 06:30 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Get the newer DI motor as it seems to be more reliable than the older motors. After that how much $$$$ does he want to spend.

Peter
Old 08-27-2013, 06:41 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Thanks
By which you mean a spec similar to how they they spec'd that series?
Not the actual series cars, I assume (which are not streetable?).
Yes, so that it is still streetable, but will all the improvements of the interseries cars, the cayman can be very quick

he would want a 2009 or later, Tim can help him find a suitable candidate as well
Old 08-27-2013, 06:58 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

----
Old 08-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

This all really depends on your (ahem your friends) budget. My sense is that you can do this from about $30k (Gen 1) all the way up to $60k (Gen 2) for a street car.

If you are ready to trailer, the sky's the limit (about $150-$170k)
Old 08-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

There are many Gen 1 cars available with required mods such as deep sump, Motorsports air/oil separator, and a power steering cooler. These cars usually have suspension mods. I run one of these in instructor group with no issues. The Gen 2 with the DFI motor is superior and has noticeably more power. If I had the budget, I'd go for one of the Interseries cars. I was at the NJMP club race this weekend and the car shown in the attachment was fast.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
This all really depends on your (ahem your friends) budget. My sense is that you can do this from about $30k (Gen 1) all the way up to $60k (Gen 2) for a street car.

If your going to spend the sky's the limit $$$ then forget the cayman as you will never come close to recouping your investment. Better to get a 7.2 GT3 and be done doth it.

Peter
Old 08-27-2013, 10:16 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The trouble with running a Cayman in an advanced HPDE group, is that you may quickly outgrow the limits of the stock car. In particular, brakes and brake cooling. The ABS system is not track worthy and will quickly overheat brakes if tracked hard. Depending on what you've driven in t he past, you may also crave more HP.

I have historically driven Gt3's. I tried this same Cayman experiment. I really loved the balance of the car, but craved more power and decided to go with a full track car build. There are many companies who support this forum that are more than willing to guide you through the upgrade process. Olsen Motorsports, Deman Motorsports, Rebel Rock Motorsports, Bodymotion, Isringhausen, Chris Smith Racing, TPC Racing, Musante, etc

2009 or newer
Minimum Necessary mods:
TPC Stage 1 suspension package. If street car, consider quiet drop links instead of sphericCl
OZ Racing Allegerita Wheels with Hoosier R6
Pagid Yellow RS29 pads
Castrol SRF fluid or equivalent
GT3 front brake cooling ducts
if PDK, get paddle steering wheel.
no PASM, easier to switch to coilovers later
factory LSD ( very hard to find unless get cayman R)

IMO, if you want to go beyond this, it's time to get safe. strip car, cage,harnesses, hans seats, coilovers,monoball suspension, better brake cooling, LSD, tranny and diff coolers, data logger, etc. $$$
Old 08-27-2013, 10:18 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

Ahem yourself; just because I love your car doesn't mean I would kick my car to the curb.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Get the newer DI motor as it seems to be more reliable than the older motors. After that how much $$$$ does he want to spend.

Peter
+1...the 9A1 engine will be far less to zero trouble than the M96/97 engine. After that it all depends on how deep the pockets are.

Also try to find a 2010-2012 Cayman S or R with Sport Bucket seats. These seats retain the thorax side air bag and can be used with a 6 point harness. Aftermarket seats will not have this air bag and you will have to turn off part of the federally mandated air bag system. No issues if you never drive it on the street. Big issues with your insurance company if you do after market seats and tamper with the side impact air bags...FYI
Old 08-28-2013, 05:22 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
If your going to spend the sky's the limit $$$ then forget the cayman as you will never come close to recouping your investment. Better to get a 7.2 GT3 and be done doth it.

Peter
I'm not sure whether anybody should look at recouping their investment when it comes to a race car build Fact is that people are actively looking to buy race cars that have consistent podium finishes and hold class track records.

Originally Posted by jcastle
The trouble with running a Cayman in an advanced HPDE group, is that you may quickly outgrow the limits of the stock car. In particular, brakes and brake cooling. The ABS system is not track worthy and will quickly overheat brakes if tracked hard. Depending on what you've driven in t he past, you may also crave more HP.
From my experience, stock brake cooling is not an issue provided you use the GT3 front cooling scoops. You just tend to eat a lot of rotors front and back. The stock ABS unit is fine as long as you maintain the stock brake set-up and go to RS29s. If you go to big brakes and slotted rotors up front, you'll need to find ways to adjust the brake bias to avoid "ice mode". The expensive builds go to the Bosch Motorsport M4 ABS at a cost of about $12k.

I believe that the big downside to PDK is that you can't eliminate the PSM which tends to eat your rear rotors. With respect to power, there are ways to get more horses out of the car (none of them are cheap): under drive pulley, cold air intake and IPD plenum, ECU flash (Gen 1), Headers plus Fabspeed race exhaust. If you look at PCA Club Racing, it does not look like Caymans lack any power in the stock classes or GTB1. It's all about mid corner speed!

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Ahem yourself; just because I love your car doesn't mean I would kick my car to the curb.
Rick, just playin' with ya. Your 993 is gorgeous and the sound is simply intoxicating.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:37 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks, Frank - I got the humor.
Did I mention I love your car?
When I bought my 993 it was a very lightly-raced new build; boy, did I luck out.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

For a PDK car that is raced do you need additional engine, trans or PDK cooling?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: How would you spec a used Cayman S for advanced DE?