Sponsored by:

Michelin want back into F1 for 2014

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013 | 02:33 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Michelin want back into F1 for 2014

... under their conditions. Bernie as already signed a contract with Pirelli, but the teams have not agreed to it and therefore have not signed the contract for 2014. FIA President Jean Todt wants Michelin.... oh my....

Hembery: Michelin return would be farcical

26 August 2013

Pirelli’s Motorsport Director, Paul Hembery, has stated that the return of Michelin to Formula 1 would lead to a ‘farcical’ situation, with the French manufacturer confirming over the Belgian Grand Prix weekend that it was interested in supplying teams from next season onwards.

It is believed that Michelin is willing to back down from their demand for the sport to shift to 18-inch wheels in order to be ready in time for the coming campaign. With many teams deep into development of their 2014 chassis, the request would have required a major late-stage redesign of suspension geometry. The company would also be likely to lobby for a move away from the high-degradation formula seen for the past three years.

Although the FIA has yet to sign a new contract with Pirelli, the Italian manufacturer has already inked a commercial deal with Bernie Ecclestone and FOM. The situation leaves open the possibility of Michelin-clad Formula 1 cars racing on circuits adorned with Pirelli signage, a scenario Hembery regards as ridiculous.

“If Michelin wanted to return why didn’t they come out and say so last September?” he told the Daily Telegraph. “Quite frankly a tender in September when you are running in January would be farcical. You should have done that in September last year. We have contracts in place, and we would hope people would respect them.”

It is widely accepted that FIA President Jean Todt is in favour of a Michelin return, with a final decision likely to be taken at the September meeting of the World Motor Sport Council.
Old 08-26-2013 | 07:54 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Pirelli should get the hell out because they have been treated like crap. The tires were made to degrade and people are making it like Pirelli doesn't know how to make a tire.

On top of that the teams can't agree about how to change the tires. The teams that are soft on the tires don't want change while the teams that use them up do.

Bad PR for Pirelli. They should demand changes for 2014 or take their ball and go home.
Old 08-27-2013 | 05:13 PM
mgent
Rennlist Member

I agree Pirelli should set a date to renew and walk at that date - as we all know f1 never hits any dates in negotiations...

I thought Pirelli had deals with Bernie and all the teams, and was waiting on the FIA?

Realistically, to have tire design finalized in order to design/build 2014 cars, what is the drop dead date? I would be surprised that all the deals can be negotiated and agreed to with a new supplier in time to not impact 2014 car design.. I find it frustrating that all they talk about is cost control / reduction, but do things like this and mid-season rules 'clarifications' which drive up cost significantly...

Quick Reply: Michelin want back into F1 for 2014