Sponsored by:

End of Tony Stewart's career?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:12 AM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default End of Tony Stewart's career?

Three-time Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart underwent successful surgery Thursday in North Carolina to place a rod in his broken right leg.

Stewart broke the tibia and fibula in his right leg during a Monday night sprint car race at Southern Iowa Speedway. He underwent surgery in Iowa after the crash to stabilize and clean the Grade 2 injury.

Thursday's surgery involved placing a rod inside the tibia, pressing it to its anatomic position.

Stewart will remain hospitalized for observation. A discharge date has not been determined.

Stewart-Haas racing named Max Papis as the substitute driver in the No. 14 for Sunday’s Nascar Sprint Cup race in Watkins Glen, N.Y. Stewart, 42, has wrecked three times in the last month in extracurricular races.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup...ery-broken-leg

Old 08-10-2013, 10:13 AM
auzivision
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

No way is smoke finished
Old 08-10-2013, 10:17 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by auzivision
No way is smoke finished
+1

I don't even think he'll stop doing the dirt track stuff unless an insurance underwriter forces him to. I can't imagine what the disability insurance payout is when you're a top level NASCAR driver.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:06 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
+1

I don't even think he'll stop doing the dirt track stuff unless an insurance underwriter forces him to. I can't imagine what the disability insurance payout is when you're a top level NASCAR driver.
I dunno..., a serious injury at this stage of his driving career can change his perspective. He may decide he's going to focus on the series that is most important to him and make it last as long as he can and sadly sacrifice the others.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:16 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
I dunno..., a serious injury at this stage of his driving career can change his perspective. He may decide he's going to focus on the series that is most important to him and make it last as long as he can and sadly sacrifice the others.
honestly, I think dirt racing is most important to him. Sprint Cup just pays the bills and at this point he's wayyyyyyyyyy ahead of that game.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:24 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

A broken leg in that part of the leg is easier to over come. Why should he stop - he knows inhury is part of racing .

Look at some injuries like Rick Mears feet. He could hardly walk . He didnt stop until he was slidding upside down on his head at 200 mph and said Ok this is enough . And he still had wins in him then.

He probably feels as though the dirt work keeps him sharp or builds him for the Cup . But no secret that he likes it too and owns some of that or tracks etc too if I am not mistaken.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

His career would end if he was told he had to once again fit into an IRL or F1 car.
This was the turning point...

Old 08-10-2013, 02:02 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Just lay that casted leg on the go pedal. After all it is the right leg.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:47 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grade 2 open fracture will do fine as long as it doesn't get infected. he'll be driving again within 2-3 months. This is not a career ending injury. Just minor setback.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:55 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Great driver, but he'll eat himself out of racing before that leg stops him....

Gary

....pass the soda cookies.....
Old 08-11-2013, 12:19 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Look at Tommy Kendall,he suffered a very serious career ending injury ... could barely walk,took a break for many years and now he's decided to get behind the wheel again,
these guys have it in their blood,it will take a lot more than that to stop Tony Stewart !

Cheers
Phil
Old 08-11-2013, 02:27 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Career ending??? What nonsense.

Ever see AJ Foyt's x-ray after the Road America crash? That didn't end his career, and he was 55 years old!!!

Originally Posted by CCA
As I posted in the other TS thread, he's an "old school" racer like AJ. Unless he's physically unable to push the pedals, he will continue to race:

He's now a mogul. In addition to being part owner of his NASCAR team, Stewart-Haas Racing, he owns a USAC and World of Outlaw teams, a motorsports-PR firm, and a radio controlled-car company. He has a penchant for saving ancient dirt tracks and owns Ohio's legendary half-mile Eldora Speedway, as well as a part interest in both Macon Speedway and Paducah International Raceway.

He'll race 115 times this year alone, and most of the time you'll never hear about it. In addition to a year's worth of NASCAR races - 38 events over the longest season in pro sports - he'll more than double his track time in winged sprint cars and modifies on small dirt and asphalt ovals.

This is no grab for attention: He enters lesser known events under a pseudonym to avoid the circuits. The guy's addicted.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:04 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
His career would end if he was told he had to once again fit into an IRL or F1 car.
This was the turning point...

I resemble that remark!!!! And I'm in shape! Round is a shape, isn't it?
Old 08-11-2013, 11:37 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Career ending??? What nonsense.

Ever see AJ Foyt's x-ray after the Road America crash? That didn't end his career, and he was 55 years old!!!

As I posted in the other TS thread, he's an "old school" racer like AJ. Unless he's physically unable to push the pedals, he will continue to race:
+100
Old 08-11-2013, 11:44 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by jcastle
Grade 2 open fracture will do fine as long as it doesn't get infected. he'll be driving again within 2-3 months. This is not a career ending injury. Just minor setback.
+993

Grade 2 fractures in a [medically] young and healthy person do fine. Hell, a GP 500 racer would probably be back on the bike the next day

Quick Reply: End of Tony Stewart's career?