Sponsored by:

986 Track car (BSR) for sale - $24k

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 07:03 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 986 Track car (BSR) for sale - $24k

I just got news of a friends Boxster track car hitting the market today. Owner let me know that his house is sold and his plans of relocating out of state are near. His blue Boxster that we built is now on the market asking $24k.

'99 986 2.5L - 5 speed

Please let me know if you are interested by email at eric@herg.net

It's a pretty good little car, just recently built.
All of the safety equipment items are brand new like seats, harnesses, window nets, and roof net systems.
Roll cage is 1.75" 4130 alloy, one of the most overbuilt cages in any Boxster in POC, installed this year with fresh exterior quality paint job.
The PSS9 suspension is less than year old, as well as the BSR sway bars, drop links, and toe arms. It also has BSR spec GT3 control arms in the front.
Brake lines are upgraded, slotted rotors, pagid pads, good fluid.
Oil pan is upgraded, motor mount is fresh, underdrive pulley with fresh belt, major engine service recently, new water pump recently
BSR spec AASCO ightweight flywheel and Sachs sport clutch
Throttle pedal has an aluminum cover with an adjustable extension installed. Custom dead pedal installed.
Front end has custom tie down locations for easy transport.
Dash has been trimmed and switch panel installed.
Two working AMB timing transponders are installed with a switch on the dash for dual drivers.
New steering wheel, quick release, and hub assembly
Lightweight Oddessey PC925 race battery installed per POC race rules in March '13
Fluids including brake, trans, and engine oil have been serviced regularly.
Car has had recent dyno cert runs completed. Dyno sheets available. Ran 180-181rwhp with street muffler and cats.
Sale includes 2 sets of black powdercoated wheels with Kumho V710 tires.

Car is blue inside and out, original color.
All graphics are vinyl

For full BSR spec and race legality, it would need:
Battery cut off switch installed.
BSR spec swift racing springs installed onto existing shocks.

during assembly earlier this year...

Old 07-20-2013, 06:17 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

So tempting. Want to go racing, but haven't figured out where yet. Been spoiled by the GT3 speed-wise.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking build, I really like the net on the roll bars top in case the hardtop fails. GLWS
Old 07-20-2013, 07:46 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
So tempting. Want to go racing, but haven't figured out where yet. Been spoiled by the GT3 speed-wise.
Start with something like this. I have a 6GT3 track car and love to drive it fast and experience the speed. Earlier this year I bought a SpecBox and stated racing and have done 2 weekends racing with it. It is the best choice I could have made given I was looking at Cup Cars as the next step. You forget about the speed in a straight line, because the little car is so fast around corners. It teaches you a different, faster way to drive. Now when I drive the GT3 at tracks, I am anywhere up to 6 seconds a lap faster because of what the SpecBox taught me about momentum and cornering.

If your thinking about racing, this is the a great place to start in a modern platform.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:11 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

^ Thanks, that's kind of what I'm thinking and I am also considering a cup car, but it would be a a stretch to have 2 track cars (GT3), hence my concern about going to the Spec B.

Not worried about the speed during races, as long as there are lots of folks to play with, but I'm having such a blast at the moment with the 3. If I could swing having both, there would be no harm in trying... especially if the price is right, and if I could then sell it without taking too much of a hit.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:07 AM
jittsl
Racer

I used my GT3 for tracking until a couple of years ago when I built a spec Boxster and went club racing. Ever since it didn't cross my mind to take the (recently sold due to underutilization) GT3 to the track. If your experience is anything like mine you'll find that even with 1/2 the horsepower, just being wheel to wheel will double the fun. When speed is no longer measured in big brush ultimate terms but rather in extremely small incremental differences to the guy inches in front of you I think you'll find it far more exciting and relevant. Just my 2c.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:13 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Absolutely agree about the thrill of wheel-to-wheel, but we have a long off-season here, so need to do many many events during the summer months before going into hibernation/withdrawal. I don't think that there's enough racing in a year "locally", hence the need for a lapping car.

To be honest though, lapping does get a bit old when my friends aren't around to play, no matter what the speed is. I should try to get a ride in one of these, cause until then it's all speculation on my part.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:03 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

I was only .5 a second slower than my previous fastest time at the Glen the FIRST time i drove the SPB there. It's a differerent way of driving. The SPB is slower in the the GT3, but hold more speed and you use more throttle and come out faster than the GT3.

I found that when I DE the at, I can still catch and pass other cars, I just have to work harder.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:10 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

What kind of times does a well driven SPB do at the Glen?
Old 07-21-2013, 12:12 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
What kind of times does a well driven SPB do at the Glen?
http://www.rennpoints.com/classrecor...=SPB&session=0
Old 07-21-2013, 12:25 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Old 07-21-2013, 04:24 PM
jittsl
Racer

It's also a lot easier to go faster in a car worth $25 and easily rebuildable than it is a pride and joy GT3.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:48 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

That looks like a lot of value. Best of luck with the sale.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:29 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jittsl
It's also a lot easier to go faster in a car worth $25 and easily rebuildable than it is a pride and joy GT3.
That to. I just can't tell you how much fun they are to race. Keep both if you can so you can go back and forth. I would choose the SPB if I had to make a choice for one.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The SPB is probably the best modern porsche racing platform out there for the money. It is a great platform to learn on and raise your game. The tires and consumables are ridiculously low compared to any other Porsche.

I am building a cayman right now and am torn about keeping the SPB for the occasional race with a large field.

This here represents a serious bargain. You can't even buy all of the pieces for this asking price.

GLWS

Originally Posted by mmuller
That to. I just can't tell you how much fun they are to race. Keep both if you can so you can go back and forth. I would choose the SPB if I had to make a choice for one.

Quick Reply: 986 Track car (BSR) for sale - $24k