Sponsored by:

Newbie Q re: gearing at buttonwillow

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Newbie Q re: gearing at buttonwillow

I wet to buttonwillow a little while back and found that turn 2 was tough for my car's gearing. I could enter in third but by the end of the tight turn I was below an optimum rpm for decent torque. I tried entering in second but I kept hitting the limiter about 75% through the turn.

I feel like going into second is the smart choice but should I just not accelerate as aggressively to avoid the limiter or should I up shift before I'm all the way out of the turn?

Is it ok to up shift on the unwind, seems like the answer should be no
but maybe that's the kind of newbie thinking that got me here asking.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:38 PM
gvtesse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is 75% for you? My car is different, but I upshift from 2-3 a little before the car straightens out and it seems fine. At that point there isn't much steering angle. Similar at star Mazda. I'm upshifting from 2-3 and the car isn't straight yet.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Still in the turn pretty deep and starting to think about the unwind coming soon. I think the next time I'm down there I'll try 2nd and just ease up a little so I can hold out longer. This will actually be faster because I can then pull harder in through 3rd on th straight.

Here's a pic (I'm in third here but this is about where I was hitting the limiter.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Hella-Buggin'; 07-14-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie Q re: gearing at buttonwillow