Sponsored by:

Flags

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:15 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
The corner workers are typically more experienced than most of the drivers.

A couple weeks ago I was insructing a new student and saw nearly every flag in a single lap.

Turn 1 waiving yellow with debris flag, by turn 7 full course caution stationary yellow, approaching starters stand black flag, as we approached turn 1 the red flag was displayed.

The problem - dogs on/near the track at turn 1!

Knowing and following the flags saves your bacon. MMMMMM....bacon.
Seems like they could have saved a lot of trouble with a "dogs on track" flag.

Something like this should suffice:

Old 07-08-2013, 03:16 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 868 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
for me, the biggest thing is (was), knowing a rolled up (furled), black flag does NOT mean to come into the pits, for a talk... ( not yet anyway ).
I guess that depends. If you have no idea why the furled black flag was pointed at you, it would probably be a good idea to come in and find out what you were doing that warranted it.

Scott
Old 07-08-2013, 03:22 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Karen England

Did four laps with debris on the track and no yellow/red

Also know that once a debris flag is shown, workers and race control want to pull it back... once everyone has seen it. (typically for 2 laps)

(same with a standing yellow for a broken car, sitting off track).

the reason is: if there is more/ additional debris, or more cars off track, they can re-fly the flag. giving driver new warnings.

but if you are showing debris, and more or bigger pieces end up on track, the drivers won't know that....
Old 07-08-2013, 03:23 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Offered a point by and it was declined. Next THREE flags are blue and yellow

A - Do the corner workers know which group is tracking? - I always assumed they did.

B - Do they know that D cannot pass in the CORNERS!!

Black flags SUCK!!
A) They should...we have run group indicators on our cars. They were even color coded this weekend.

B) This is the tricky one here. EVERYTHING all day friday and Saturday was open passing for everyone. More than likely the beginner group on Sunday caught them out.

A note on the passing flag in general. I agree they were pretty quick to throw the passing flag this weekend. BUT there were alot of people in the run groups including racers trying to get practice so it was very important that people be aware when others are around them to keep traffic flowing. I someone behind me with very similar pace for a couple of laps and I kept getting the passing flag the whole time. Ironically I let him pass then follwed him closely for two laps and he got the passing flag the whole time too. I guess I'd rather have over attentive corner workers than ones that don't catch much.

Weird about no McDonalds flag. There were several corner worker stations that we don't normally get at Mid Ohio this past weekend, and there were at LEAST 2 people at every station as well. I thought they did a very good job of catching almost everything.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:54 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

A - Do the corner workers know which group is tracking? - I always assumed they did.

Black flags SUCK!!
The corner workers likely don't know that a pass was waved off. Be grateful they are throwing the passing flag, as it is just an advisory. Want to know what's more irritating? Being stuck behind someone for an entire lap without any passing flags. As for debris flags, eh, they are human and make mistakes. Some flag crews are noticeably better than others. I've come to really appreciate a good flagging crew - it really makes a difference.

Black flags are not a big deal, it's the Red flags that suck.

An interesting bit of trivia about the passing flag. It really is unfortunate that a blue field with a yellow diagonal stripe was picked for the passing flag. I don't know what they were thinking, as this color combination amounts to camouflage in any environment. It does not matter if the background is green foliage, brown foliage, asphalt, concrete, dirt, etc the damned thing is invisible.

-Mike
Old 07-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

The corner workers don't care that a passing signal has been waved off - they'll use the blue/yellow flag to "remind you" that there is a car behind you.

Again, this is an informational flag - it's use does not require any action on your part. Any action required is dictated by the organization running the event and/or specific rules for that run session. (e.g. race vs. driver's ed - whether point-bys are required; green group vs. red group - passing zones; etc.)
Old 07-08-2013, 05:43 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Offered a point by and it was declined.
Gave two pointbys and both were declined. Then I realized it was Tommy in one of the white school cars--he was following me to film me! What a dope (me, that is)....

When he was done with me he blew by on the front straight

Gary
Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Karen- checkered flag means you won your DE.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:18 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Does the red and yellow striped flag mean that there is debris or a McDonald's at the next exit?
Turtle on the uphill
Old 07-08-2013, 08:29 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Black flags SUCK!!
Did you ever give another passing signal? Or were there only corners between the signal and the next 3 flags? Are you saying you were black flagged for missing 1 passing zone??

Getting a black flag for passing signals can be for a variety of reasons. (1) If you're not managing traffic you might see one. (2) If the corner workers THINK you aren't, you might see one. You do get a chance to explain during your pit in. (3) You are conducting a train and the decision is made to bring you in. (4) repeat offender of any of the above.

Also, are you sure that the debris flag wasn't ever displayed and you just missed the display period? (perhaps because of your black flag) Down here, debris flag is only displayed about 1 lap (sometimes 2) and then you are supposed to remember where it is. On occassion, you might not see the flag as you are on the cusp of the pull down car.

Good news is you are seeing the flags AND seeing the debris. Isn't that enough?

-td
Old 07-08-2013, 08:31 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
DE's are not racing, Karen.
True, but that is where I want to be, so my mind thinks it is, even though my steel ***** are still just nubs.............
Originally Posted by Driver8
A. Yes they do.

B. They are informed by control what the passing rules are for the particular run group on track.

Originally Posted by Coochas
Does the red and yellow striped flag mean that there is debris or a McDonald's at the next exit?
I needed a McD's run - almost didn't make it through my third session.
Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
-Also, there is no flag for FIRE.

But if a worker has the fire bottle in their hands and is pointing at you... you are probably on fire. pull over where someone has a fire extinguisher... pdq.
..........Orange flag?????????????
Originally Posted by divil
Seems like they could have saved a lot of trouble with a "dogs on track" flag.

Something like this should suffice:

Adorable - glad your home safe
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I agree they were pretty quick to throw the passing flag this weekend. I thought they did a very good job of catching almost everything.
+997
Originally Posted by TXE36
An interesting bit of trivia about the passing flag. It really is unfortunate that a blue field with a yellow diagonal stripe was picked for the passing flag. I don't know what they were thinking, as this color combination amounts to camouflage in any environment. It does not matter if the background is green foliage, brown foliage, asphalt, concrete, dirt, etc the damned thing is invisible.

-Mike
OMG!!!!!
Originally Posted by gbuff
Gave two pointbys and both were declined. Then I realized it was Tommy in one of the white school cars--he was following me to film me! What a dope (me, that is)....

When he was done with me he blew by on the front straight

Gary
I was quite confused about that too - I thought it was Lead > Follow
Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Karen- checkered flag means you won your DE.
I WISH!!!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:58 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

You don't necessarily have to GO when you see a green flag but it's advisable.

Quick Reply: Flags