Weber to leave F1 - joins Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
It will be interesting to see how Webber handles all of the traffic and amateur drivers at Lemans...
It would be the ultimate if he were driving a GT car...
Imagine him in a RSR blocking the Diesel Audis in the middle of Mulsanne straight!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:35 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche would be far better off pursuing Kimi than Webber. Webber has won a few F1 races. All at RB. Never been champion. He blew his best opportunity all by himself.

Has Pat Long ever driven any prototype car?
Old 06-27-2013, 05:39 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 912 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Porsche would be far better off pursuing Kimi than Webber. Webber has won a few F1 races. All at RB. Never been champion. He blew his best opportunity all by himself.

Has Pat Long ever driven any prototype car?
Kimi has no interest in endurance racing......

Patrick Long drove the Porsche LMP2 car...

Scott
Old 06-27-2013, 06:08 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Dempsey?
He is a Patrick who drove a Porsche at Le Mans.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:30 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,495 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Perhaps Webber will do well with the Porsche LMP1 program given his many years in motorsports, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking this is a great loss for the F1 world. Webber is right up there with the likes of Ralf Schumacher and David Coultard. Barely mediocre drivers who could win a race here or there with the best car on grid AND when everything went their way on that particular day.

The only different is that Webber has had the best car on grid now for 4 years in a row and never won a title. In addition, Webber never really understood that he was a #2 driver -- always whining about this or that, but he is not a 1, never was, never will be and most certainly not a championship level driver at the F1 level.

+ It took him a while to win his first ever race in a Red Bull
+ As mentioned before, he screwed the pooch in Korea when he really had his best chance
+ He purposely did not tell his team that he hurt his shoulder in a biking accident with 4 races to go in the 2010 season when they could have worked with him in terms of more padding, seat fittings etc. to try and deal with the pain.
+ He never helped his teammate when he was not in contention and Vettel was, therefore pissing off his bosses and others inside the team
+ Not only did he not help his teammate, but he made it hard for Vettel on track in Brazil while letting Alonso pass easily.

So glad this guy is gone for so many reasons, but aside from that, I have no opinion one way or the other.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:34 PM
MikeQuig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael Schumacher has been tipped to fill the #2 seat. At least that way we don't lose the blocking aspect
with MW's departure.

Mike Q
SpecBox #23
Old 06-27-2013, 06:38 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Past what line?

I'm not a big Weber fan. He has a propensity to "make his car wide", he can't master a standing start to save his life, and he was given the opportunity and equipment necessary to win the WDC, but screwed the pooch in Korea, allowing Alonso to take the points lead, only to screw the pooch and allow Vettel to win the WDC.
Yes, Weber was a consistent #2 driver (based on talent, it would be hard to make the case that he ever could have been a #1 at RBR) and contributed greatly towards the 3 consecutive WCC, and won some races along the way.

Good F1 career, now it's time to leave, and there's no crying in F1.
Might be the one and only time I agree with anything you say, but you hit it spot on here.

I sort of cringed when I read MW was going to be driving for Porsche, but hey, it might be a great fit for him. Not the same amount of pressure for him to choke on.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
He is a Patrick who drove a Porsche at Le Mans.
Yes, there are a lot of "Fast Patricks" racing Porsches including Patrick Lindsey in Grand Am.

However, spending your own money to field an entry in GTE Am is a very different prospect vs. getting tapped on the shoulder by Porsche to drive a factory prototype. There is zero chance of that happening. I respect Dempsey for what he's doing though and he's great PR for the brand.

I do think Long getting the job is more of a long shot. Borgmeister, Leitz, Lieb, Pilet are all probably in front of him realistically...
Old 06-27-2013, 06:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Perhaps Webber will do well with the Porsche LMP1 program given his many years in motorsports, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking this is a great loss for the F1 world. Webber is right up there with the likes of Ralf Schumacher and David Coultard. Barely mediocre drivers who could win a race here or there with the best car on grid AND when everything went their way on that particular day.

The only different is that Webber has had the best car on grid now for 4 years in a row and never won a title. In addition, Webber never really understood that he was a #2 driver -- always whining about this or that, but he is not a 1, never was, never will be and most certainly not a championship level driver at the F1 level.

+ It took him a while to win his first ever race in a Red Bull
+ As mentioned before, he screwed the pooch in Korea when he really had his best chance
+ He purposely did not tell his team that he hurt his shoulder in a biking accident with 4 races to go in the 2010 season when they could have worked with him in terms of more padding, seat fittings etc. to try and deal with the pain.
+ He never helped his teammate when he was not in contention and Vettel was, therefore pissing off his bosses and others inside the team
+ Not only did he not help his teammate, but he made it hard for Vettel on track in Brazil while letting Alonso pass easily.

So glad this guy is gone for so many reasons, but aside from that, I have no opinion one way or the other.
Originally Posted by SeanR
Might be the one and only time I agree with anything you say, but you hit it spot on here.

Be very careful you two, otherwise you will be chastised for being negative...

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Geezs.
Do you have to be SO negative on every damned thing?
Old 06-27-2013, 06:52 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,495 Likes on 2,080 Posts

If you can pick out anything in my post that is not factual, please let me know. I think I'm pretty objective when it comes to my favorite form of motorsport. Webber just rubbed me the wrong way with the way he acted on track.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:13 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Yes, there are a lot of "Fast Patricks" racing Porsches including Patrick Lindsey in Grand Am.

However, spending your own money to field an entry in GTE Am is a very different prospect vs. getting tapped on the shoulder by Porsche to drive a factory prototype. There is zero chance of that happening. I respect Dempsey for what he's doing though and he's great PR for the brand.

I do think Long getting the job is more of a long shot. Borgmeister, Leitz, Lieb, Pilet are all probably in front of him realistically...
I'm being a bit facetious. I don't like when people throw out a name or an acronym that can mean just about anything.

The MS association with RB rumor has been going around for years!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:41 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Highly overrated driver given his equipment vs. others. MW thinks he's better than he really is. Not going to miss him at all. Vettel passing him earlier in the year certainly looks like a brilliant move now given MW points vs. Vettel's
Old 06-27-2013, 09:51 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 912 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Highly overrated driver given his equipment vs. others.
Here is a quote:

"Crikey, I'm hoping Mark [Webber] continues next season. Apart from being a great person, his contribution has been significant. He's been a pillar of the team from the start."

I wonder what idiot said that?

Oh, wait. Adrian Newey said that. Maybe he knows just a little bit more about driver talent than you do.....

Scott
Old 06-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's my vote for Pat Long as well. Agreed on the US marketing tie that comes with.

Assuming Porsche is running two LMP1 cars next year (has this been confirmed?), that means that there are two race seats left now. Pat Long should get one of those. He definitely deserves it. And I think it would be a huge marketing fail for Porsche in the US if he doesn't.

Going to be a lot of jockeying going on internally for those last two seats...
Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
If you can pick out anything in my post that is not factual, please let me know. I think I'm pretty objective when it comes to my favorite form of motorsport. Webber just rubbed me the wrong way with the way he acted on track.
Pete,
Everything you said was factual.
Of course those passing judgement (re: Danica Patrick professional drover fan club) would view it as negative.
Facts have no signifigamce...it only provides a detour on the mental hamster wheel.

Quick Reply: Weber to leave F1 - joins Porsche