Porsche LMP1 breaks cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Porsche is no longer an independent auto manufacturer.
That failed, they tried to take over VAG, now they are simply a (premium) VAG brand, best known for Cayennes (based on units sold)

Audi has an incredible record at LeMans, so why does Porsche have to follow Audi to LeMans in Prototypes?

This just looks like the Lemans equivalent of Lexus (Audi) and Toyota (Porsche).
Huh? You're kidding right?

Maybe this would help: Porsche LeMans History
Old 06-12-2013, 11:07 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Audi and that scumbag Wolfgang Ulrich have been taking credit for running a hybrid LMP1 race car.

How many people realize that Porsche developed the hybrid flywheel system in their 911 hybrid that raced at the Nurburgring and Petit LeMans, the system originally developed by Williams Hybrid Technology with whom Porsche partnered to develop the system for a racing application as the system was too large to be used by Williams in their KERS implementation.

Dr. W and his thrall Haerter were sacked for their misadventures in trying to take over VAG, were it not for him and Holder Haerter Porsche would still be an independent concern instead of VW's b!tch building Tiguan-clones with Audi V6 engines.

Porsche's technological implementation involves a gasoline hybrid and Audi's a diesel hybrid. While I am going to LeMans in 2014, I still do not trust the ACO to construct rules that do not heavily favour diesel engines as has been the case since Audi went TDI.

At least Porsche's current directors feel that motorsports is an endeavour worth pursuing.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:49 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
It must be driven by marketing and branding, not engineering.
Comparing Audi to Porsche at LeMans (in prototypes) is sort of like comparing Red Bull Racing to Toro Rosso.
Audi is the A team, Porsche is the Junior B team.

Yes, I know Porsche's storied HISTORY at LeMans, but that was a long long time ago.
Dr. W. had no interest whatsoever in racing (he also said there would never be a Porsche diesel, but I digress), but he allowed the 911 Cup Cars to continue.

Still puzzled by this move.
Wait wait wait...So the Porsche RS Spyder was just a freak prototype car that demolished even the big LMP1 cars at some venues? It took Porsche a few tries before taking the top step at Le Mans and because they continued to race or support racers at that level they were able to pile on the wins.

It'll happen again...give it time. Don't really think Porsche will sink millions of dollars into something without being successful. If they can do it in LMP2 in recent years they can squeeze them out in LMP1 as well.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:55 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Huh? You're kidding right?

Maybe this would help: Porsche LeMans History
No, not kidding.
If Porsche were still an independent auto manufacturer and given its history, then yes, LeMans makes sensei in Prototypes.
However, they're no longer independent and if Audi is competing at LeMans in Prototype, what is the point of having Porsche there as well besides branding/marketing?

Racing 911's at LeMans, makes total sense.
Racing Porsche Prototypes at LeMans just doesn't.

1998 (last victory): 911 GT1-98
1997 WSC95
1996 WSC95
1994 962
1981-1987: 962 and 956 and 936
I won't go back any further than that

From 1998 to present, Audi has won every year with 3 exceptions (Peugot, Bentley, BMW .. all one hit wonders)

Again, I see no reason for Porsche to be in this category for a win since Audi (VAG) is more than capable of continuing. I suspect Porsche has nothing to bring to the table that Audi doesn't already have access to.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
Porsche's technological implementation involves a gasoline hybrid and Audi's a diesel hybrid. While I am going to LeMans in 2014, I still do not trust the ACO to construct rules that do not heavily favour diesel engines as has been the case since Audi went TDI.
You do realize that from a thermodynamics standpoint, a diesel engine is superior to a gasoline engine (hybrid aside)?

You are asking the ACO to intentionally handicap someone who has applied physics to produce a superior product?
Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

well, that settles it, all gasoline-powered LMP1 cars and hybrids should withdraw from any ACO-sanctioned event, diesel is the wave of the future, it's more efficient, so all manufacturers immediately stop producing gasoline-powered engines and produce only diesel-powered engines, and all motorsports aspirants bow down to Wolfgang and cease operations unless they want to switch their technology to diesel...

The ACO has been saying for YEARS that their intention is to devise a set of rules that allow entrants to compete on level terms regardless of engine design. The 2014 rules enticed Porsche enough to lobby the VWAG daddies to let them try. I'm honestly surprised that VWAG is allowing it, but if Porsche is going for the overall win, I'm going to be there rooting them on. I have been waiting for this since 1998, regardless of whether Porsche is an independent company or a VWAG brand.

I despise Audi and everything they stand for. Overweight, overpriced, underpowered, 'look at my LEDs' gussied up VWs, and while I have to admire their juggernaut at LeMans, it's downright boring. I rarely watch it anymore. Next year MIGHT be different and Porsche doesn't enter a category unless they feel they have a legitimate shot at it.

Toyota is a mighty disappointment. While I admire them for trying, the results so far this year in the WEC has shown they are not capable.

oh, by the way, the Bentley ran an Audi engine in a Racing Technology Norfolk chassis.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

Dr. Wolfgang Porsche
Chairman

From a legal point of view, Porsche Automobil Holding SE and the former Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG are one and the same legal entity.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

so now back to the point..... where are the technical details of this new beast?
If I have to fly to Stuttgart and drive to Weissach to find out.. I might just do it.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:24 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ApexComp
Dr. Wolfgang Porsche
Chairman

From a legal point of view, Porsche Automobil Holding SE and the former Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG are one and the same legal entity.

just for clarification, when I say Wolfgang, I mean Ullrich

thank you for posting this graph
Old 06-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks just like the Audi
Old 06-12-2013, 04:36 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Diesels are only competitive because of octane, displacement, horsepower, and weight restrictions on gas and ethanol powered engines. Do you really think that the most horsepower that Audi could produce out of their R8 race car was 600 with the technology available today? Not a chance. An unrestricted R8 engine in a similar if not the same chassis as one of Audi's diesel engines would run circles around the car with the overweighted lump. The same hand that feeds the alternative fuel beast at the expense of more traditional engines can begin feeding the hybrid formula to make it competitive.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:17 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Great to see. Anybody in for a group buy of 2014 LeMans tickets?
Old 06-12-2013, 05:46 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

Audi has only won as many times as they have in the last 10 years because Porsche wasn't there. Not the first time Porsche has taken a hiatus from prototype endurance racing. They've gone back and forth between prototype and GT focused racing numerous times over the last 50 years. Audi is the new kid on the block, not the other way around.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:22 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,009 Likes on 1,781 Posts

I completely agree with ltc in so far as the look of the car, perhaps it's because of the sporting regulations and what is allowed or not allowed but I doubt it.

If Porsche's racing engIneers are allowed to compete in earnest against the Audi racing engineers then it will be great racing but I'm afraid it will be too much like an inter squad scrimmage for the obvious reasons...
Old 06-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't understand the negativity in this thread. It's great to finally see the car and awesome to have another serious competitor join the LMP1 ranks. Hopefully Porsche comes correct and Toyota ups their game and we have 3 factory teams of 2-3 cars each going after a victory in 2014.

Quick Reply: Porsche LMP1 breaks cover