996 GT Race Car Build - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 GT Race Car Build

Reply

Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 AM
  #16
Astroman
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Astroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 1,975
Default

Well inside $40K plus the cost of the donor car?
Astroman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:43 AM
  #17
mcipseric
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mcipseric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,422
Default

Very nice build! What GT class will you be running in? I am guessing GT3. I look forward to running with you later this year when I finally get my new transmission installed. Please take it easy on me =)
It will be difficult to keep up with Duane's monster cayman and Eric's boxter monster if he is still in GT3!

Here is an idea for a LSD, go the wavetrac route. zero maintenance, life of the car.... I have one in my 993 and it is fantastic.
http://www.wavetrac.net/
I am thinking of replacing my 996 lsd with a Wavetrace when it is time to rebuild.

Looking forward to seeing your car!
mcipseric is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:36 PM
  #18
mehoff
User
Thread Starter
 
mehoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 211
Default

Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Well inside $40K plus the cost of the donor car?
price includes the donor car.

Originally Posted by mcipseric View Post
Very nice build! What GT class will you be running in? I am guessing GT3. I look forward to running with you later this year when I finally get my new transmission installed. Please take it easy on me =)
It will be difficult to keep up with Duane's monster cayman and Eric's boxter monster if he is still in GT3!

Looking forward to seeing your car!
I'm building it as a GT3 car with the hopes of running in GT4 (not sure we're going to make it though). I'm trying to avoid GT3 until I decide to go Motec so I can have ideal engine maps for each track. And honestly, I need seat time...I've never raced a modern car.
mehoff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM
  #19
Astroman
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Astroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 1,975
Default

Originally Posted by mehoff View Post
price includes the donor car.
That's crazy! Good luck!
Astroman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:46 PM
  #20
FrankyV
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
FrankyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 1,031
Default

Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
That's crazy! Good luck!
Unbelievable...you couldn't build a decent E car for that price.
FrankyV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 PM
  #21
mehoff
User
Thread Starter
 
mehoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 211
Default

So clean.....

Last edited by mehoff; 01-08-2014 at 08:05 PM.
mehoff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:22 PM
  #22
J richard
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
J richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,506
Default

Ok so I can get a fully built body in white build GT3 car, with a rebuilt 996 race motor and 997 box, with full cup body panels, Lexan, a moton/GT3 suspension, ready to race (I'm assuming WHEELS come on the car?) for under $40k?! Did you check the fine print?

I'll sign, show me where...
J richard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:26 PM
  #23
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
PelicanParts.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,129
Default

Watching this build and the track debut down the road!
__________________
Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
Porsche Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
PelicanParts.com is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 PM
  #24
mehoff
User
Thread Starter
 
mehoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 211
Default

Originally Posted by J richard View Post
Ok so I can get a fully built body in white build GT3 car, with a rebuilt 996 race motor and 997 box, with full cup body panels, Lexan, a moton/GT3 suspension, ready to race (I'm assuming WHEELS come on the car?) for under $40k?! Did you check the fine print?

I'll sign, show me where...
Just to clarify, it's a GT3 class (ours is 9.0:1), not a GT3 base car and the cup panels are replica (as mentioned in the build list).

I got a sweetheart deal on the motor because it was already built, but he is preparing to build these in scale so I would think that's about right.

If you're serious you should call Dan at Speed Gallery, or feel free to call me to get the full download. PM me for our respective cell numbers.
mehoff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:51 PM
  #25
jakermc
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jakermc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 1,457
Default

Originally Posted by mehoff View Post
Just to clarify, it's a GT3 class (ours is 9.0:1), not a GT3 base car and the cup panels are replica (as mentioned in the build list).

I got a sweetheart deal on the motor because it was already built, but he is preparing to build these in scale so I would think that's about right.

If you're serious you should call Dan at Speed Gallery, or feel free to call me to get the full download. PM me for our respective cell numbers.
If you want to turn a quick profit I'll buy the car from you for $40K
jakermc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:40 PM
  #26
mcipseric
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mcipseric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,422
Default

What oil solutions are you using? multiple scavenger pumps? Accusump?
mcipseric is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 PM
  #27
mehoff
User
Thread Starter
 
mehoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 211
Default

Originally Posted by jakermc View Post
If you want to turn a quick profit I'll buy the car from you for $40K
Talk to Dan. If you are serious it will be well worth your time (though you already seem to have a comparable car).

I'm not his salesman nor have any financial incentive to push people into these cars, I am just incredibly excited about my new build after being incredibly frustrated with the secondary market for 996 race cars.

If you'd like to talk to me first and have me pass a spec by him I'm happy to help (I will accept scotch as a liaison fee!). PM me for the cell numbers.
mehoff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:52 PM
  #28
jakermc
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jakermc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 1,457
Default

Originally Posted by mehoff View Post
Talk to Dan. If you are serious it will be well worth your time (though you already seem to have a comparable car).

I'm not his salesman nor have any financial incentive to push people into these cars, I am just incredibly excited about my new build after being incredibly frustrated with the secondary market for 996 race cars.

If you'd like to talk to me first and have me pass a spec by him I'm happy to help (I will accept scotch as a liaison fee!). PM me for the cell numbers.
My car is similar and I know what it cost to build, which is why I'd be willing to buy yours for $40K. I just don't see how it can be done. A quick run down of parts, assuming careful shopping:

Donor: $10K (if you can find a messed up car with a good chassis)
Moton Club Sports $5.4K
CCW Wheels $2.7K
Used 997 tranny: $2.5
Rebuilt race motor: $10K
Lexan: $1K
Wing and uprights: $1K
Other bodywork: $1K
Cage, paint, other suspension bits, custom ABS etc.: ???

So we are up in the neighborhood of $40K before we even begin to talk about the extensive labor involved in a full strip, cage build, re-installation, and set-up.

I also like your build better than mine, the standard 3.6L engine is a much better choice for hp/wt ratio classes compared to the X51 engine. I just hope for your sake that you really have a firm contract and/or substandard parts are not being used, would hate for this to end with a big surprise for you when completed. It just seems to fall into the 'too good to be true' category.

So yes, I am serious, if you can deliver this car as stated for $40K I will immediately buy it from you. I'm just not willing to take the risk up front, but a completed car, count me in!

I definitely want to know more about this ABS system as well, the stock system is the Achilles heal of my build and the Motorsport version is something like $10K. How does this mod work and what does Dan charge for it?
jakermc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 PM
  #29
J richard
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
J richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,506
Default

^^^
My math exactly (a little closer to $45) but on e you crack the motor all bets are off.

Don't get me wrong and I'm not detracting, but that is an amazing deal. Perhaps your car is a lost leader to develop a market for this spec of car, but I can't figure out how that works any other way. A spec 996 is $25 on top of a solid donor with a good motor ($15-16?) I'd just like to know how to do it for the price point...

Anyway look forward to the build, that shell is pure sex...keep the pics comming and I'll shut up about the costs...

"The first thing you learn about fight club..."
J richard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:42 PM
  #30
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Frank 993 C4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NY Tri-State
Posts: 5,791
Default

This is an awesome project and please keep us posted on your progress.
Frank 993 C4S is offline  
Reply With Quote
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
vodavoda
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
104
05-03-2017 12:53 AM
HelpMeHelpU
GT4
32
08-12-2016 08:39 PM
subshooter
991
2
06-30-2016 10:58 PM
Yellow996
996 Forum
7
01-28-2016 02:58 PM
Yellow996
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
16
01-28-2016 02:16 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 04:17 PM.


Copyright ę 1998 - 2017 Rennlist.com
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: