Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what would you do if you wrecked someone else's race car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
We don't have enough solid factual information, one way or the other, to make any such statement. The situation is clear as mud.

Scott
OK, Let me re-state this then.

There was NO car to car contact... it was a single car incident, driver lost control and contacted the tire barrier.....

END OF STORY....

Anybody else need clarification??

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 05-30-2013, 09:01 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
From what I saw there was no contact of any kind between the two cars, and the driver/shop owner was driving his own car.
Who ever you are, you are grossly mis-informed and starting a thread based on your assumptions.

There was no car to car contact, shop owner was driving his own car, and damage is less than half of your statement.

And to everyone else who forms a strong opinion based on the limited, un-checked, un-verified and plain false information placed here..... I say with all due respect, GET A LIFE...

There was NO car to car contact... it was a single car incident, driver lost control and contacted the tire barrier.....

END OF STORY....

Rick, you have to understand something. Your version is just not as complex and thought provoking as the original version. Please rethink this position so the poor horse can be beaten for another 5 pages.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:16 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Can someone please get the OP to come back and throw some gasoline on this fire. It's starting to go out and I'm getting bored.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Can someone please get the OP to come back and throw some gasoline on this fire. It's starting to go out and I'm getting bored.
I've heard through the grapevine that it was a pachinko Cup Car which actually initiated the incident.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

When racing in enduros that are long enough to mandate a drover change, well, abstention is not an option. I often co-drive with a friend and we alternate events in each others cars (they are same class and quite similar). The deal is simple; you wreck it, you write a cheque (or offer your car as compensation).

VR and I have done events together but there the deal is different- absent a money shift- it's on me. He's there providing a service.

P.s. I love fictional thought provoking threads.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:27 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Crashes are always a drag. The 3.8 Cayman sounds like a nice car-hopefully can be rebuilt. Like many of you, I have an agreement with a friend who occasionally drives my car- whoever is driving, if not a mechanical failure, you break it you fix it. I recently had a former F1 driver take me around in my car at a group instruction event. He was driving it fairly easy- for him, but I didn't consider who would pay for an off track. Guess it would have been me.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:37 AM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since we have strayed a bit here is a scenario from this past weekend DE, driver A is in a low horsepower car driver b in newer stronger car. Driver A can turn a 2 second faster lap but driver A doesnt want to let the "old car" bye. driver A therefore drives closer than he should to make sure driver B knows he is there and should be pointed bye. they approach the heaviest braking zone on the track driver B brakes way harder and way earlier "almost spitefully brake checking" driver A . Driver A knows he should not have been that close as there is no way he could brake that hard that early so he has to avoid contact by going off (no big deal on this track) but for future reference how does driver A "convince" driver B to give the point bye with out waxing their bumper if driver A had hit him I am sure driver A would be expected to pay and would have as it would have been a rear end ( yes I am driver A)
Old 05-30-2013, 11:56 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tahoelife
Since we have strayed a bit here is a scenario from this past weekend DE, driver A is in a low horsepower car driver b in newer stronger car. Driver A can turn a 2 second faster lap but driver A doesnt want to let the "old car" bye. driver A therefore drives closer than he should to make sure driver B knows he is there and should be pointed bye. they approach the heaviest braking zone on the track driver B brakes way harder and way earlier "almost spitefully brake checking" driver A . Driver A knows he should not have been that close as there is no way he could brake that hard that early so he has to avoid contact by going off (no big deal on this track) but for future reference how does driver A "convince" driver B to give the point bye with out waxing their bumper if driver A had hit him I am sure driver A would be expected to pay and would have as it would have been a rear end ( yes I am driver A)
Driver A should pit in and go back on the track clear of the stupid driver B and have a conversation with him between sessions. DE is not racing, period.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
Driver A should pit in and go back on the track clear of the stupid driver B and have a conversation with him between sessions. DE is not racing, period.
Totally agree.
Then again, it doesn't seem like either one should be solo unless of course the high HP car truly intentionally brake checked the other guy. Even then.
And if they were not solo, then the fault is on one/both of the instructors.
There's probably more to the story.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:15 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My $02

If I drive your car on the street and wreck it, I pay the bill. Actually my insurance will cover it. What insurance doesn't cover, my $2M umbrella policy will cover. I wonder if my umbrella policy would cover me wrecking your race car. It covers just about everything. If I slap the living **** out of you and you sue me, it's covered.

If there was no car to car contact, sorry, the Cayman owner is on the hook for the repair.

Even in the fictitious first scenario, the owner is on the hook for both cars. If you offer the car, you're offering to take the liability as well. Now if I ask you to drive it, then it's a different story.

I would think that the shop owner would offer to cover to labor and the owner pay for the parts of the repair.

Who knows, just damn glad that is wasn't me.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clarity upfront is the best policy, and not some nebulous "understanding". In the past I have been asked to drive others cars, sometimes to shake them down to sort out a problem. I am quite clear about it; if I break it I cannot afford to fix it, whether or not it is my fault. Therefore if you REALLY want me to drive it for instruction or testing, I will. If something happens I'll feel really bad, but other than that I cannot offer much else. Most appreciate the honesty and some actually still wanted me to drive their cars. I will not drive another's car for fun.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:40 PM
jcs_911
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I heard Danica was driving the other car.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:53 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

END OF STORY....

Dude, relax.

The "facts" presented are few and contradictory. I would assume your "facts" to be better than the OP's but that does not change the fact that two sets of "facts" have been presented.

My point was that no one here that didn't witness the incident is in a position to make judgements about the incident. Got it?? Do you need any more clarification?

Jeez....

Scott
Old 05-30-2013, 01:58 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

If it's your fault, and you know it's your fault even if it cant be "proven", be a man and PAY FOR IT.

If there is no contact I can't see how it's anyones fault but the driver.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:03 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Dude, relax.

The "facts" presented are few and contradictory. I would assume your "facts" to be better than the OP's but that does not change the fact that two sets of "facts" have been presented.

My point was that no one here that didn't witness the incident is in a position to make judgements about the incident. Got it?? Do you need any more clarification?

Jeez....

Scott
Scott,
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I suspect that Rick is a witness to the actual incident whereas the OP is regurgitating hearsay. One set of the facts carries more weight than the other set from my way of looking at it...

Quick Reply: what would you do if you wrecked someone else's race car?