Sponsored by:

Tear offs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tear offs?

Can someone recommend a source for windshield tear offs? I have a new track car with a new windshield and I want to try to protect it.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:57 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isn't a tear off, but I've used it for three events and it works great so far.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...tion-film.html
Old 05-25-2013, 08:38 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,426 Likes on 615 Posts

I had a film installed on the Lambo before tracking at Pocono which at the time was known for being gritty and a windshield killer.

The installer did not have a "pre-shrunk" film, so he did a rough fit, then applied, then with heat did a shrink to fit - then removed and did final application.

I was happy with it but there were places where my view (from driver seat) was deformed slightly. Not straight ahead but if I looked to the center of the windshield at a decent angle. Some bubbles never left but they were tiny and along the edges. Windshield wipers worked fine on the film and it performed great. We took it off after a year cause we were done tracking that car and saw no point in keeping it any longer (especially since it was a little beat up). The film did exactly the job I wanted.

I had a lot of difficulty finding windshield film at the time. I used The Tear Off Guys. He met me at Pocono and we did the install at a friend of his who had a race garage/shop. It took about an hour and there is no way I could have done it myself.

James La Follette did the install. 845-775-3435. He is located near metro NY and travels to several tracks. He used a "permanent" film - meaning it was good for a year or more - this wasn't a tear off multi layer install.

http://racetearoffs.com/

He did the install in June 2011. I haven't been in touch since and have no idea if he is still doing this. He also had a brother with a southern location in FLA (if memory serves). I also recall that he could be difficult to reach at times - probably because of his travel schedule.

My Cayman R needs a new windshield. The first owner took no care to protect it and it is very pitted. When I replace it I'll be looking to put protective film on.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:11 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

ClearPlex sounds like a good choice, albeit a pricey one. I'm going to order it for my Cayman. I watched their installation video and it doesn't look very difficult. Just a bit fussy and time consuming. Should be worth it if the installation goes smoothly and I can get 15 - 20 track days out of it.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:40 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 150 Posts

price?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Try Pro-Tint Racing Optics - http://www.protint.com/Racing/to_racingoptics.htm They have pre-formed stacks of 2 or 4 tear-offs and an installation kit. I think I paid $256 plus $30 for the installation kit. Worked great and no distortion.

Toby
Old 05-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

$215 for a Cayman. That includes one film plus installation tools.

Quick Reply: Tear offs?