Sponsored by:

My COTA Experience: A Porsche Pinata Production

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:40 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Ther was some lackadaisical flagging out there last weekend. And a lot of people way over their heads on a "bucket list" track that is harder than it looks...
Well that makes better sense than what I was thinking: "Something in the water?". I've been trying to come up with a catchy name for it, perhaps COTA Brain?

It may just be me, but I thought there were *a lot* of incidents over the PCA weekend and the T&T was just a warm up. I don't recall it being this bad at TWS. Heck, even the yellow DE group managed to break the track for 2 hours Sunday afternoon. I bet the cumulative damage bill for the weekend to fix track damage was six figures.

Also, weren't all the T&T drivers "race" drivers? The DE folks were not invited and IIRC one had to be confirmed for the club race to be eligible for the T&T.

Looking forward to getting back to TWS in a few weeks.

-Mike
Old 05-20-2013, 11:51 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I am pretty sure it was the guy's first lap on COTA, and he had no-one to follow. Massive tunnel vision, and had no idea there was someone nearby. There was a lot of pressure on the racers to learn the track quickly in the limited time they had on track.....he was probably super amped and out of his normal mind. You gotta give those guys a wide buffer, or wait until they get a chance to breath and see you in their mirror. You do gotta wonder though that a racer is supposed to have superior awareness compared to your high-end DEer....so, no excuse I guess.

BUT, what I can't understand is that after the session he didn't attempt to make amends - that is the most troubling thing.
I know the driver of the car in the first video, as do a number of people here. I think S&B has the right analysis of what was going on with his driving. It's not typical of him, but still I can't give him a free pass on it.

As far as not coming by to find the camera car, he may have tried for all we know. COTA is a big place. Camera car was in a garage. The other driver was in the support paddock.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:22 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by mglobe
As far as not coming by to find the camera car, he may have tried for all we know. COTA is a big place. Camera car was in a garage. The other driver was in the support paddock.
That's a good point. I actually drove around the grid looking for a car that nearly clipped me and didn't find him until he found me at the next grid in. There were cars in garages, cars all over the lower paddock and cars in the upper paddock, all surrounded by tow rigs.

I think things will quiet down once COTA becomes an annual event and dispenses with this "once in a lifetime" BS.

-Mike
Old 05-20-2013, 12:24 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXE36
I think things will quiet down once COTA becomes an annual event and dispenses with this "once in a lifetime" BS.
Can't happen soon enough. There's been enough dumb $hit flying around for some time now.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Doug007
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I am pretty sure it was the guy's first lap on COTA, and he had no-one to follow. Massive tunnel vision, and had no idea there was someone nearby. There was a lot of pressure on the racers to learn the track quickly in the limited time they had on track.....he was probably super amped and out of his normal mind. You gotta give those guys a wide buffer, or wait until they get a chance to breath and see you in their mirror. You do gotta wonder though that a racer is supposed to have superior awareness compared to your high-end DEer....so, no excuse I guess.
^^^THIS. Many did not have the benefit of a simulator or previous track days and were literally seeing the track for the first time on Thursday.

Originally Posted by jakermc
During the T&T, I actually wasn't trying to pass when I got hit, just trying to stay on the proper line as opposed to following him all over the track. When he went wide after T8, I tried to wait to see what he would do, thinking he had two options: a) slow down, gather the car up, and slide in behind me or b) stay on the inside and drive towards the apex, in which case I would have turned in after him. I did not think option c was on the board: swerve across the track into my door. I never did attempt to turn-in, I just stayed to the far right waiting for him to decide what to do. Still confused as to how he could not see me, I bet he was totally out of control after over correcting. Not sure what else I could have done absent completely parking the car in the corner.

In the laps preceding this one he never gave me a point by despite me hounding his bumper in the corners, he would merely blast down the long straights and we'd repeat the process. I think the attempt at a defensive line going up the front straight gives a good indication of the mind set this guy had. Rude and under skilled is no way to go through life.
There is no excuse for him T-boning you but slowing down, even to a crawl, would have been the right thing to do in this situation. Having your car on-line and carrying speed put you exactly where he was trying to go, back on-line.

I've seen this guy drive and race at TWS and he is no novice, but he was clearly lost on his first day at COTA.

Originally Posted by TXE36

-Mike
Can't wait. The track isn't going anywhere. It may take a few years but eventually they will realize they are crazy not to rent the track on most weekends. After a few years of events I'm sure the driving will improve immensely. While there was some damage, I'm sure it will be paid for and it has already been fixed before the V8 supercars were out there this last weekend

Last edited by Doug007; 05-20-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First video- Crazy....I would of been 1000 times more careful deciding when/where to pass him just by the look of his driving....

Second video- That is just BS- I would of had more than choice words for him.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:12 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
His crew chief came to me with a head full of steam, immediately placing blame on me (based on what his driver told him). I then calmly explained what happened and then offered to pull the video to show him what happened. We then watched the video together and he agreed his driver was at fault.

I then asked him to go back to his driver, explain the real cause of the incident, and then bring him back to my pit so he could watch the video and learn something. While watching he acknowledged fault to his crew chief (not directly to me) and then the two of them discussed the correct line using my car as the example. They then asked to watch several laps of the video so he could coach his driver on the line, thanked me sharing the video and left. No apology or discussion of the damage. In fact the driver never even engaged me directly after we were introduced.

It happened on the 10th lap of the session, not the first. If he wanted someone to follow all he had to do was point me by as I had been behind him for several laps at this point. He knew I was there and did not want me in front of him despite this being a T&T. Again, note the strange path he takes on the front straight - he moves off line in what appears to be an attempt to protect the inside.

In hindsight, yes I could have parked the car in the corner in an attempt to avoid contact. But parking on a race track is usually a bad bet, I erred on the side of him being able to avoid a car hugging the rumble strips on the opposite side of the track. Lesson learned, if this ever happens again I'll resort to the DE tactic of driving through the pits.

I agree with Plavan, the 2nd guy needs to be abused more.
He actually seemed to think the whole thing was funny. I had to walk away because I could see that it was going to get very ugly if I didn't.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

His crew chief came to me with a head full of steam, immediately placing blame on me (based on what his driver told him). I then calmly explained what happened and then offered to pull the video to show him what happened. We then watched the video together and he agreed his driver was at fault.

I then asked him to go back to his driver, explain the real cause of the incident, and then bring him back to my pit so he could watch the video and learn something. While watching he acknowledged fault to his crew chief (not directly to me) and then the two of them discussed the correct line using my car as the example. They then asked to watch several laps of the video so he could coach his driver on the line, thanked me sharing the video and left. No apology or discussion of the damage. In fact the driver never even engaged me directly after we were introduced.

It happened on the 10th lap of the session, not the first. If he wanted someone to follow all he had to do was point me by as I had been behind him for several laps at this point. He knew I was there and did not want me in front of him despite this being a T&T. Again, note the strange path he takes on the front straight - he moves off line in what appears to be an attempt to protect the inside.

In hindsight, yes I could have parked the car in the corner in an attempt to avoid contact. But parking on a race track is usually a bad bet, I erred on the side of him being able to avoid a car hugging the rumble strips on the opposite side of the track. Lesson learned, if this ever happens again I'll resort to the DE tactic of driving through the pits.

He actually seemed to think the whole thing was funny. I had to walk away because I could see that it was going to get very ugly if I didn't.
This just keeps getting worse and worse. Make it stop!! So disappointing on so many levels...
Old 05-20-2013, 02:37 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm really doing my best to keep my mouth shut here....the driving is bad enough (I disagree with those who indicate that the first driver was merely sussing out the track - this is no excuse at all for his erratic path(s) and on-track behavior)...but the actions after both incidents are absolutely inexcusable.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:52 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Well after looking at the video again, and checking the car number against what's listed on mylaps, that's not the driver I thought it was in the first car. I'm relieved to know that, as I would have been very surprised. What tipped me off was when you mentioned his crew chief, as the guy I know is his own chief, cook, and bottle washer.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:54 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I mean we all came up through DE and got licensed, I would expect the basics to be mastered even if the speed is not there.
Don't ever assume this. One of the senior members of our local PCA region, DE instructor, and licensed racer was the star of a youtube sensation at COTA. Remember the "A-pillar" grab?

Sorry to hear about your experience. Heard similar horror stories from other guys who attended the event. Kinda glad I missed it.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:05 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Don't ever assume this. One of the senior members of our local PCA region, DE instructor, and licensed racer was the star of a youtube sensation at COTA. Remember the "A-pillar" grab?
Really!? Man, that is just sad. I would think there has got to be something more to that.

-Mike
Old 05-20-2013, 03:16 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Nope, just plain old ego and stupidity. Plenty of both.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:11 PM
coinboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
I'm really doing my best to keep my mouth shut here....the driving is bad enough (I disagree with those who indicate that the first driver was merely sussing out the track - this is no excuse at all for his erratic path(s) and on-track behavior)...but the actions after both incidents are absolutely inexcusable.
KaiB, you know that was you driving the first car! LOL

To me it looked like he had his hands (and mind) full with trying to figure out where he was going around those turns. AKA "Lost where he was on the track and what was coming up next" Bet he never saw you in his mirrors until he hit your door Rob.
No good excuse, but I would take a guess it was a guy that never goes to many tracks and was having a real hard time with being lost....
Old 05-20-2013, 04:18 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with Bryan. I bet he didn't see you until he hit you.
Do you need a refresher course on your wrestling moves? Maybe time to get your singlet out of storage.

Quick Reply: My COTA Experience: A Porsche Pinata Production