Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTB1

Old 05-18-2013, 09:37 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTB1s that take advantage of ABS, bumper cover, wing and other of the many upgrades an dupdates available to the class will see HUGE gains above and beyond the interseries or other stock specs. they coul dbe 2,3,4 seconds difference at COTA. the ABS alone could be worth 1 to 2 seconds.
aero a bunch. the headers/exhaust can be huge where as the interseries cars are required to use OEM factory headers (my guess is 10,12 HP).

bigger tires permitted, etc.

i went through this very analysis when we contemplated running a pair of interseries cars we had in WC, and ultimately built the customer two new cars.
at MMC, the interseries track records is in the 28ish range if i believe. a WC gtb1 cayman is about 3 seconds quicker if i recall.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:28 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just remembered this...at 15:55 in the video I mistakenly go four wheels over the white line. I slow down and give the cayman a point by just to be safe. I was so friggin' paranoid the scruts were going to disqualify me for gaining an advantage.....

Last edited by danielyonker; 05-19-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:45 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSA Motorsport
GTB1s that take advantage of ABS, bumper cover, wing and other of the many upgrades an dupdates available to the class will see HUGE gains above and beyond the interseries or other stock specs. they coul dbe 2,3,4 seconds difference at COTA. the ABS alone could be worth 1 to 2 seconds.
aero a bunch. the headers/exhaust can be huge where as the interseries cars are required to use OEM factory headers (my guess is 10,12 HP).

bigger tires permitted, etc.

i went through this very analysis when we contemplated running a pair of interseries cars we had in WC, and ultimately built the customer two new cars.
at MMC, the interseries track records is in the 28ish range if i believe. a WC gtb1 cayman is about 3 seconds quicker if i recall.
Are you speaking of upgrading the ABS to a motorsports version ?

What is your opinion of what PDK adds per lap ? At COTA ? The Glen ?

Sounds like you have done a lot of research and have a ton of experience with these cars.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by good hands
Are you speaking of upgrading the ABS to a motorsports version ?

What is your opinion of what PDK adds per lap ? At COTA ? The Glen ?

Sounds like you have done a lot of research and have a ton of experience with these cars.
i couldnt give you precise on too many. John Tecce from BGB, Spencer *** from Speedsport, Tiv from Hudson Historics/Heinlein have way way way more info having dealt with tons of these cars. but those are some of the bullet items.
reach those guys for specifics and solutions.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:53 PM
R-Powered
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tuning matters
Old 05-20-2013, 10:20 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

I believe PDK is a game changer and needs to be addressed.

At Sebring Dan Clark was the only Cayman to pull away from the field. I had a great first sprint running nose to tail with Dan M who looks like he dominated COTA. Not sure if his car has been changed since Sebring.
When one car in a class is beating another car in the same class by 5 or 6 seconds then something probably needs to looked at rules wise.( assuming driver's being fairly equal of course )

GTB is not a true GT class as we are required to have stock motors and trannys along with stock Suspension geometry. I realize you can tune these motors and have no problem with that. I just can't tune in a PDK
Old 05-20-2013, 10:27 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

same crap in 997 GTA2. its a catch-all class. I fsomeone wants to keep things stock, low cost, minimal mods, then classes A,b,c,d,e,f,g,h, etc are a great place to run that way. but when you get into the GTB1,2 or GTA1,2 they provide a home for guys who want to tweak their cars, or have cars that don't fit in classes.

for example, the 997 Rolex cups from 2005 to 2009 run in GTA2 with 3.6L motors. those cars are just not as powerful as the 2010 to 2012 rolex cups, or the grand am 4 liters and for sure. therea re 3,4,5 second differences between these cars , same driver. and frankly, same car, different drivers there could be 3 t 5 or more seconds in time given the wide range of skills found in pca. same thing in gtb1.

the cayman interseries cars are great cars, but there are some mods that I would have killed for them to include in the spec, such as different shocks, headers, different exhaust in total, different cagte. but that's thec ar, that's the series. you modify the interseries cars, you an be more competitive in gtb1 but, then you cant run the series as you're out of spec.

but you have to have the catchall class for those caymans and that's gtb1.

Originally Posted by good hands
I believe PDK is a game changer and needs to be addressed.

At Sebring Dan Clark was the only Cayman to pull away from the field. I had a great first sprint running nose to tail with Dan M who looks like he dominated COTA. Not sure if his car has been changed since Sebring.
When one car in a class is beating another car in the same class by 5 or 6 seconds then something probably needs to looked at rules wise.( assuming driver's being fairly equal of course )

GTB is not a true GT class as we are required to have stock motors and trannys along with stock Suspension geometry. I realize you can tune these motors and have no problem with that. I just can't tune in a PDK
Old 05-20-2013, 11:16 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

At this point there is no penalty/adjustment in stock class for PDK's either. Only the weight of the tranny is figured into the equation.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:53 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

I wonder the gearing on the Cayman's is different. Can't find documentation
Old 05-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

It's a simple solution:

1. Gen 1 Caymans stay in GTB1

2. Gen 2 Caymans (DFI) and 3.8 Cayman conversions go in either GTB2 or a new class called GTB3

That way 996s remain competitive.

By the way, I've suggested this to Walt Fricke and he is resistant to adding any more classes.

If more people emailed Walt, perhaps he would change his mind. (My apologies, Walt!)

AND, for those who say we have Spec 996 available, a.) most of us would need to make significant changes to our cars i.e. shocks, etc. and b.) I would if I lived in Texas because that's where ALL the Spec 996 guys are racing!!
Old 05-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by danielyonker
I just remembered this...at 15:55 in the video I mistakenly go four wheels over the white line. I slow down and give the cayman a point by just to be safe. I was so friggin' paranoid the scruts were going to disqualify me for gaining an advantage.....
I have to say that I do not know why you pointed him by. You did not pass him there nor gain a position advantage by going over the white line.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:12 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't give the point by. However, I knew he was faster than me based on time sheets all weekend, and I knew that there was no upside to us battling each other, especially since P2 in my class was a ways back. This whole points thing (and the wreck at Mid-Ohio) has made me a more conservative driver, for better or worse.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:48 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Daniel, when we finally meet to race you may indeed remain conservative - very much so!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:08 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yellow996
If more people emailed Walt, perhaps he would change his mind. (My apologies, Walt!)

!
From my converstions with Walt I think he has had his ear bent quite a bit by this subject.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by danielyonker
If I had to do it again, I wouldn't give the point by. However, I knew he was faster than me based on time sheets all weekend, and I knew that there was no upside to us battling each other, especially since P2 in my class was a ways back. This whole points thing (and the wreck at Mid-Ohio) has made me a more conservative driver, for better or worse.
Nothing wrong with that, although things change and you should think positively. Discretion can be the better part of valor. Besides, you should think of yourself being a "sensible," "considered" and "thoughtful" driver, rather than conservative!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GTB1