Sponsored by:

Trailex, Featherlite or ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:01 AM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Trailex has a single beam that comes forward of the V and there is no place to attach the hangers for the weight distribution bars (see photo). While there is space in the V to add storage boxes, the extra weight will be right on the tongue and over stress the single beam.

I spoke with the factory just this week and the word is, DO NOT add weight to the nose and do not try to use a weight distribution hitch to compensate for extra weight on the nose.

The Trailex is a fantastic trailer. With my 2,500 lb Spec E30 and a set of extra wheels/tires, my V6 Grand Cherokee tows it without issue. But to keep weight down, there are some limitations.

Originally Posted by gallowrm
MarkPcar, I understand your comment about not being able to put a storage box on the front triangle on a Trailex. However, why won't a weight distribution hitch work? Am hoping to buy one of these trailer brands, so would really like to know!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:52 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
Agree that all trailer tires are not great. Make sure you check tire pressures and torque lug nuts before every trip. Trust me on this one ��

As far as the jeep goes, it's mostly the transmission you have to worry about. If you're in Florida, and it's nice and flat, you might get away with it. If you start hauling up and down hills and such, you have to be very careful.
Ive been keeping an eye on trans temp when towing, it's been around 175 degrees consistently (normal is around 150-160 with just me in the car).

I dropped the trailer off for new tires, bearing inspection, and a weight distribution hitch yesterday. brake controller for the Jeep. may get an electric jack since I'm lazy and impatient
Old 06-26-2013, 04:13 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

question on tire racks....

I want to install one in my trailer (20 foot Pace Shadow GT, double walled/insulated). Ideally one with room for 8 tires (2 sets), as pictured below.

any recommendations on vendors? is this a DIY job or should I get a pro to do it (and if so, who...body shop? welder/metal fab shop?)

any other advice would be greatly recommended! TIA!
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2013, 04:40 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I did it myself. Did not use a tire rack. Put 2 pieces of E-track in front end of trailer on opposite walls just behind the door, ( make sure you mount it in the wall studs) and put 2 shoring beams across (high enough so car can go under it It sits over the hood when trailer loaded and holds 8 wheels/tires easily. Does make it more difficult to move from front to rear of trailer, but you can take them down at the track if that's important to you. Don't have a picture right now, but search for shoring beam tire rack. There are lots of threads with pictures out there.

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito

I want to install one in my trailer (20 foot Pace Shadow GT, double walled/insulated). Ideally one with room for 8 tires (2 sets), as pictured below.

any recommendations on vendors? is this a DIY job or should I get a pro to do it (and if so, who...body shop? welder/metal fab shop?)

Old 06-26-2013, 04:48 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 787 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito

These are the best:

http://www.pitproducts.com/tireracks.html

I hate shoring beams......

Scott
Old 06-26-2013, 05:44 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Yes, you will need an electronic brake controller for the electric brakes, which IMHO are better than surge brakes. It is easy to wire up in a Cayenne.
I have not done it in the Treg, but the internet is full of horror stories with the trailer module and such. Not saying you are wrong, just curious.

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Goodyear Marathon. You can thank me later.
+1

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Matt, I have these on my Trailex (they came with it). Why do you think they're superior?
They came on my boat trailer and they lasted 11 years with no issues (boat and trailer weigh 7500lbs). Don't start with me on old tires blah blah blah. I am a sophisticated self proclaimed red neck.... There were NO signs of cracking or impending failure. Granted I trailered less than 2000km per year. (boat stays on trailer, not in marina)

They last the best tread wise and I think they use much more UV stabilizers as there were no signs of dry rot on them at all after 11+ years.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:12 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
They came on my boat trailer and they lasted 11 years with no issues (boat and trailer weigh 7500lbs). Don't start with me on old tires blah blah blah. I am a sophisticated self proclaimed red neck.... There were NO signs of cracking or impending failure. Granted I trailered less than 2000km per year. (boat stays on trailer, not in marina)

They last the best tread wise and I think they use much more UV stabilizers as there were no signs of dry rot on them at all after 11+ years.
Thanks, Rod. Glad to hear it.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 791 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Matt, I have these on my Trailex (they came with it). Why do you think they're superior?
Sorry, missed this. I think I've blown all other brands towing a 2,000 pound car on a Trailex over the years. The GY is made better and lasts much longer. Most other tires end up with a belt failure at some point. It's also the tire of choice in the RV crowd and those are the guys who overload their trailers and tires for a ton of miles.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:39 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkPcar
BUT... two difference between the Trailex and the Featherlight. On the Trailex you can not build storage boxes in the front nose V and you can not use a weight distribution hitch.
Regarding storage boxes on the nose of a Trailex, I have the 7541 and while there is no room to mount a box directly on top of the nose, I was able to mount not only a storage box, but a 3-jug fuel jug carrier on the front side my nose. I just completed a 200-mile pull with these new additions and they worked great - no clearance problems whatsoever. Even with car and trailer fully loaded up, my tongue weight is right on target at about 10-12%.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Trailex, Featherlite or ??