Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailex, Featherlite or ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Your comments above are very helpful. I like the idea of the solid deck on the Featherlite. I'm not thrilled about the additional weight as I will probably need to maneuver it in a tight garage. Lighter would be better for that purpose.

Does anyone have any comments on electric vs. surge trailer brakes? Featherlite is electric. Trailex is surge. I'm planning to buy a Cayenne to tow with. Will I need a brake controller with the Featherlite? Does the Cayenne have any wiring issues with electirc brakes?
Old 05-14-2013, 06:39 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Curious why you guys are using trailex tire racks and not featherlite tire racks? I have a featherlite rack which I shortened as well (cut and weld), since my deck is 22', I don't need the nose to go under the rack. Gives nice protection to the front nose of the car when towing.

I know it was said before about the floor of the featherlite being hard on the knees, but you can option them with a diamond plate type floor which is what mine has. Personally though, I don't think it is as nice as that rougher flooring.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, you will need an electronic brake controller for the electric brakes, which IMHO are better than surge brakes. It is easy to wire up in a Cayenne.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
do you have a battery for the trailer or run a plug into the car's 12v system?
I used to have a battery on the trailer, but recently I had my truck and trailer set up so I can plug the trailer into the truck battery to run the winch. Nice because you don't have one more battery to look after.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
Your comments above are very helpful. I like the idea of the solid deck on the Featherlite. I'm not thrilled about the additional weight as I will probably need to maneuver it in a tight garage. Lighter would be better for that purpose.

Does anyone have any comments on electric vs. surge trailer brakes? Featherlite is electric. Trailex is surge. I'm planning to buy a Cayenne to tow with. Will I need a brake controller with the Featherlite?
You will need a trailer brake controller for the Cayenne. I wired one in my 06 some time ago and it was not a difficult process.
There are a number of good threads in the Cayenne forum that detail how to hook up a trailer brake controller.
If you buy a pickup truck instead, most of them come with (optional) trailer brake controllers.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:44 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Curious why you guys are using trailex tire racks and not featherlite tire racks? I have a featherlite rack which I shortened as well (cut and weld), since my deck is 22', I don't need the nose to go under the rack. Gives nice protection to the front nose of the car when towing.
I sold my Trailex without the tire rack and used the one I had, but even if I didn't do that, the fact that the Trailex rack bolts together and requires no welding is a plus to me. Also, and I don't know if this is unique or not, it's very easy to adjust the Trailex rack for wheel diameter. This is important to me since I trailer both a SM and a SP996 at different times. I can raise or lower the bar on the tire rack in about 5mins to make it easy for me to transport either sets of wheels.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:46 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
Stop now, get the diesel truck and the enclosed triple axle two-car hauler. Motor home puller optional.
Isn't that right Mike?
Actually I think I would just skip that step too, buy a really comfortable street car, hire Topp Racing (or equivalent) and just go arrive and drive.

No muss, no fuss...
Old 05-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's good news about the brake controller.

Last edited by Beantown Kman; 05-14-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Duplicate post- please delete
Old 05-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
Actually I think I would just skip that step too, buy a really comfortable street car, hire Topp Racing (or equivalent) and just go arrive and drive.

No muss, no fuss...
I really wish you would quit adding steps.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:21 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts

I've got a trailex 8045. Thing I like about it is the ability to store it in my garage particularly in the winter up here. I just put the car on it and forget about. I can back it into the garage but is also easy to move by hand. Pluss and minuses as noted I would agree with. I have no experience with featherlite/aluma but would agree with the points as noted. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:45 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
I really wish you would quit adding steps.
I'm here to help!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:23 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can move a featherlite by hand if you need to. I've moved it a bit by myself, but it's a bit easier with a helper. Either my 11 year old brute or my 17 year old wimp are enough extra help. I just did it in my driveway which isn't exactly level either.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Floodj
Linzman,
So do you wish you had kept the open trailer AND bought the enclosed, or wish you had kept the open and NOT bought the enclosed?
--Joe

I wish I had both. If only I had room to store them. Can't beat the enclosed for hauling all the extra things to the track, and i would not give it up at this point, but the open would be nice to bring the car (not street legal) to the shop and for short 1 day track trips. It's a pain in the neck to use the enclosed for short trips for all the reasons stated above, mobility, ease of hooking it up, not being able to see well backing up, etc, etc. You get better with time, but the open would be so much more convenient for that stuff.

As far as trailer brakes go, do a search of electric vs surge trailer brakes. There is a great article out there describing pluses and minuses, including (if i remember correctly) that surge brakes are not legal in all states. Get the electric. Most tow vehicles are pre-wired these days. All you need is a brake controller and a vehicle specific adapter to plug into the brake controller on one end and the tow vehicle on the other. The hardest part of hooking it up is finding where your tow vehicle's wiring harness is hidden under the dash
Old 05-15-2013, 01:40 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

With an inexpensive trailer dolly, a featherlight shouldn't be difficult to move at all. It's really not all that though even with just the stock jack wheel.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
With an inexpensive trailer dolly, a featherlight shouldn't be difficult to move at all. It's really not all that though even with just the stock jack wheel.
Or be lazy like me and by a battery powered trailer mover.
I was able to move my old Featherlite with a manual trailer dolly but if you have any slope to your driveway you will want a second set of hands on the dolly.

Quick Reply: Trailex, Featherlite or ??