Sponsored by:

HANS Racing Seat ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default HANS Racing Seat ?

What makes a racing seat HANS compatible? For example, if I look at the Recaro Profi XL versus the Sparco EVO versus the Sparco CORSA, they all look to have similar sized rear harness openings but only the Sparco EVO is listed as HANS compatible.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:04 AM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

The recaro model you're looking for is the Pro Racer Hans. Comes regular and XL
Old 05-08-2013, 11:07 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

I realize that the Pro Racer HANS is HANS compatible but trying to understand what makes it HANS compatible versus the Profi XL?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:11 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HalV
What makes a racing seat HANS compatible? For example, if I look at the Recaro Profi XL versus the Sparco EVO versus the Sparco CORSA, they all look to have similar sized rear harness openings but only the Sparco EVO is listed as HANS compatible.
Check me, but I believe the HANS "compatible" seat should have less bulk in the area directly behind the device, allowing room for it without forcing the head/neck forward.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:27 AM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry misread the question. I have the pro racer XL.

As mentioned above, The backrest is contoured to allow you to sit fully back. Also (not to get into a debate on head and neck restraints), the wings on the seat prevent my head from moving laterally-diagonally, which could be an issue with a Hans.

I was lucky enough to try the pro racer vs other recaro seats. If you sit in the others, with a Hans on, you can feel,the difference
Old 05-08-2013, 11:46 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Thanks KaiB and BlueBarchetta. This info is very useful. It seems that there are a lot of people using non-HANS compatible seats with HANS equipment.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HalV
Thanks KaiB and BlueBarchetta. This info is very useful. It seems that there are a lot of people using non-HANS compatible seats with HANS equipment.

There are some people who the way their body sits, cannot have a HANS on comfortably in some seats. Most have no issue whatsoever though.

What ends up happening is the HANS pushes their heads forward awkwardly. So you either need to bump the seat back or push the lower part of the driver forward.

Some of the aluminum seat companies make a marked step back of roughly 1" for those people too.

Quick Reply: HANS Racing Seat ?