Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eksten Autoworks

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013 | 04:51 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Default Eksten Autoworks

I would like to thank Larry and Mark from Eksten Autoworks for all their help this weekend, and I would like to enthusiastically recommend them to anyone in western NY.

Apologies in advance for the long post - short version is that Larry and Mark Eksten went out of their way to help me out of a really tough spot on the track this weekend.

This Saturday at Watkins Glen (BMW CCA event), in the middle of the third session I got a meatball flag. The car was running well, and up to that point I hadn't seen any warning signs or lights. Almost as soon as I saw the flag, I got a "check coolant level" alert on the dash, and a red light on the temp gauge (temp level itself was normal).

Pulled into the pit and was told to kill the engine. Walked around and saw a bunch of spray on the rear of the car, some steam/smoke was starting to come out of the engine area, and some fluid drops trailing the car. At this point I started to get a bit concerned. I'm not a religious man, but I was kinda hoping for some divine intervention at that point. Towed the car to the paddock and started poking around.

Now, I know the difference between a crankshaft and a head gasket, but peering around that tangled mess of an engine compartment gave me no clues at all. About 5 minutes later, Mark Eksten comes over, spends 10 seconds with his head under the car and tells me a coolant hose has lost a clamp. We push the car over to his garage and wait for it to cool down. I'm getting relieved that this isn't a huge deal, and my car may survive to fight another day.

I come back about 30 minutes later, and Mark and Larry Eksten have the intake off and are already installing a new clamp. Mark spends the next 10 minutes pouring multiple bottles of water into the car (these cars take a lot of coolant!), and the thing started up and ran perfectly for the rest of the weekend.

Larry and Mark, thank you both very much, you really saved me.

Quick Reply: Eksten Autoworks