Sponsored by:

Too much curb?......

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 06:27 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Boxster was ahead of you at turn in, if it was me in the Boxster I would have gone right to the curb and put you into the weeds!
No surprise there.......
Old 05-04-2013, 06:31 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSA Motorsport
Boston, you know whats interestig. some how i ran into another vid of yours from LRP, maybe it was your vimeo link and other vids posted by you. but in there, seems like another older 911 having that same issue. guy spun precisely the same place as you with you just a bit back.
That was my buddy Gary, he actually spun on oil or antifreeze......

I am sure the problem is not my car, but it's driver......
Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Paolo
Couple thoughts.....

you had great closing speed on the boxster and made a solid move to pass on the straight....what sucks is you got stuck there.....when you are slightly behind a car at angles to either side, you are essentially in its turbulence think of it like a boats wake, it goes out at angles behind the boat........the WORST or most turbulent air coming off that car is right where you got stuck...... Sure the boxster was fully on throttle and you didn't have enough HP to make a clean pass.....

So you are stuck in his blindspot.....and try to out brake him going into the corner....he might not have seen you and when he finally did he was forcing you way to the inside where you had to hit the curbing harder than you wanted which upset the car....

I'd say drop in behind him and use his draft for a bit.....follow him through a couple corners until you can get a better run at him using the draft until the last possible second to shoot through the turbulent side air as quickly as possible....to get in clean air and make the pass stick....

Here's is an example from my last race.....fast forward to about 9:30......you'll see me tail the lotus until I am VERY close...then shoot out, clear the "wake" and make a clean pass.... (just to let him get it back on the inside, but thats another story)
Old 05-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSA Motorsport
Boston, you know whats interestig. some how i ran into another vid of yours from LRP, maybe it was your vimeo link and other vids posted by you. but in there, seems like another older 911 having that same issue. guy spun precisely the same place as you with you just a bit back.

what i was also saying with "too much curb for you" is that maybe its the car. you know my camaro can handle curbs that frankly my cup car cant come close to handling. if you watch the WC or grand am races, the camaros have a huge advantage at NJMP and Limerock where you can jump on the curbs and the suspension travel is so nice, the car so long that it doesnt disturb it. if i hit it close to that in the cup the car would want to spin like a top.

but i wonder if some suspension changes might help. personally, in getting that 53.1, p1 time i softened the hell out of the car. used to do the same in the boxster as ewll. not sure why but while the track is generally high speed turns, i find 1 and the lefthander to be critical where push kilsl you and i generally dont get push in the downhill, uphill or west bend. anyway, i just wonder if the shorter wheelbase, narrowed body of the older 911s makes those curb taps more disturbing.
Have you ever looked at the camber curves on an older 911? They are not pretty.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
That was my buddy Gary, he actually spun on oil or antifreeze......

I am sure the problem is not my car, but it's driver......
It was oil and I was 6' from the curbing, he must be looking at something else..

Quick Reply: Too much curb?......