Old 04-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

996 Mk1, 986 Boxster/Cayman are very limited as the CAN doesn't have much info for a logger to grab from it. It's really the 2006+ cars that are easy to get info from. You can see how AiM handles them here http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/dow...ons.htm#auto18

That's not to say that you can't get good info. With something like an AiM Evo4 w/ a GDash, you can put in a small logger that will give you RPM, 3 axis accellerometer, GPS tracking, and the option to put more sensors in. That will give you a ton of data to work on your driving. Then if you want to get some more data, it's not too hard to wire in a throttle and steering sensor and have a nice compliment of sensors. Adding mechanical sensors like oil and water temp, pressures, etc is all based on how much you want to include.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:17 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
What is a good/economical solution for connecting to our 996/Boxster/Cayman DMEs?

I love the idea of dumping OBDII data streaming to my cell phone so I can monitor engine data.

I already have the duramatic.

thanks,

Mike
Because the solution is cheap enough - I'm going to pick up a ELM327 system and some Iphone/Ipad software. I also have the senders for OP and OT, but I hadn't connected the gauges up yet.

Looks like for less $30 I can get real-time Coolant Temps, O2 info, Oil Temps.

I wasn't looking for pure data logging yet -- although with a better
GPS (which I need) and Harry's which I already use, I might get some basic data in there as well.

I'll let you know how the ELM327 works out.

BTW, I have an AIM PXL for my RSR -- but I'll be damned if I can talk to it :-(
Came with the car and I have 0 info on it and I have not had any luck getting it to talk to any PC or other device.

I basically ignore the AIM display and put in big ole Analog Tach and OP gauge.

Mike

Quick Reply: Coolant dumped on track 987s