Sponsored by:

Driver Cooling options

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:40 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maynor
If non-flammable and I've read the racing rules for NASA and SCCA and didn't see any exclusions aside from proper mounting of the bottle so it doesn't break away etc. If they can make the shirts work better than they do now, it will be a nice alternative to the ice chest setups.

John
Why don't the shirts work well with the co2 port-a-cool setups? Is there something specific that they fall short on in terms of performance and cooling characteristics?

thanks.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:53 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated the 986/Momo shirt.

986/MOMO worked sort of well enough at times, but without active cooling, or as the ice waters down I am wearing a rubber shirt & cooking with bladders filled with warm water.

It was killing me when I was out of the car. I am just cooking in a rubber shirt.

So I bought a cool shirt.

Once when an O-Ring in the connector failed while I was in the grid, spewing water over my lap & forcing me to power the system off - I was an especially unhappy camper in my rubber shirt filled with warm water. (replacement O-rings sell for a reason - lesson learned)

One thing that some people don't realize is that you need to power up the system and let the tubes fill before, tightly belting yourself into your seat. Or else some tubes are compressed and might not fill.

The 986 is slightly better about needing preload possibly because of the larger bladders. But thats damnation with faint praise. To be fair. I have the original 986 shirt. Don't know what MOMO has changed.

I won't wear the cool shirt sperm hoody version (everyone who has one swears by them though). I wish they made a higher rear collar with just a little bit of tubing against the back of my neck.

Anyone want to buy a MOMO 986 shirt real cheap?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default My Cool Shirt...

Dan212 writes, "Once when an O-Ring in the connector failed while I was in the grid, spewing water over my lap & forcing me to power the system off - I was an especially unhappy camper in my rubber shirt filled with warm water. (replacement O-rings sell for a reason - lesson learned)"

I keep a stock of these as well. They are cheap and critical to have if you have an O ring failure...they will fail sooner than later. Also note, check your connections into the cooler box...unit won't function without a solid connection...found this out the hard way, but pal John Gordon was there to save the day.

"One thing that some people don't realize is that you need to power up the system and let the tubes fill before, tightly belting yourself into your seat. Or else some tubes are compressed and might not fill." This has not been a problem for me in the past. Didn't know this..I have an on/off switch on my dash to power up the unit. I will make it part of my start up procedure/check list to power it up before connecting.

I am ordering the "hoodie" shirt to replace my conventional shirt. I am running Autoclub Motor Speedway in late August and it will be bloody hot!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:12 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I won't wear the cool shirt sperm hoody version (everyone who has one swears by them though). I wish they made a higher rear collar with just a little bit of tubing against the back of my neck.

Anyone want to buy a MOMO 986 shirt real cheap?
I have a hoody shirt that I hate. It makes my helmet way too tight. Want to trade? Size L
Old 07-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated the
986/MOMO worked sort of well enough at times, but without active cooling, or as the ice waters down I am wearing a rubber shirt & cooking with bladders filled with warm water.
Any system will suck if a.) the water is allowed to warm or b) the connectors or pump fails.

The 986 bladder is more efficient at cooling but equally, is great at heating if the water is not cold- Block ice should last at least a 4 hr enduro in ambient 90F+ temps solving the first issue. I put it on last thing then get in the car and connect before cinching straps

And as pointed out, replacing o-rings regularly and checking the pump before use is key. Its just an important part of car maintenance.

Quick Reply: Driver Cooling options