Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Cooling options

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

The one time I have used a FAST system (works the same as the Cool Shirt system) I was amazed at how much better I felt. PCA enduro at NJMP in 2010. Paddock air temps in the 90s. Driving a black SPB. I even forgot to fill the cooler with fresh ice since using one of these was never part of the routine. Turned it on while on the grid. Shut it off on the out lap. Ran it as needed until the pit stop, then let it on for the rest of the race. Definitely nice.

Personally I was content with just the regular cotton shirt. I would think the hooded shirt would be uncomfortable but have never tried one.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:47 PM
trygve
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I got the Momo/986 system recently and finally got a chance to use it on a fairly warm day. It really felt cool, though I haven't used anything else to compare with. I didn't even turn the flow controller up to half way. I suspect the shirt design is part of the reason it's so good -- the waffle bladders have more surface area in contact with your torso than the Coolshirt or FAST/Coolsuit tubing.

I had a couple of quality control issues with the box/plumbing/electrical but after some fiddling it seems fine. Evidently you can plug the Momo/986 shirt directly into a FAST/Coolsuit hose, or you can buy a set of Momo/986 dry break fittings to replace on the end of a Coolshirt hose, such that you can use this shirt with that system, too.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:31 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 172 Likes on 98 Posts

What is koolbox? Is it a mini R134 a/c unit? How much horsepower does a conventional A/C unit take?
Old 04-25-2013, 12:00 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Cool Shirt here. Love it. I think the key to it is an on/off switch or other flow control. Before I had the controller, it would freeze me out for the first part of the enduro and then it was like a warm bath toward the end when I wished I could just shut if off.

<------------"Ball soup" as Peter Griffin might say.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use the dual-pump cool shirt cooler with the MOMO ADC shirt. It might not be the most elegant, but it has been reasonably reliable and very effective. Ice is readily available. We did a lot of research on developing a thermoelectric system, but the performance didn't seem adequate.

We saw some cooled seats at PRI a few years back, but they haven't made much impact, as far as I can tell.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:54 PM
tedean
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any more comments on the MOMO shirt? It would make sense that the bladder system has better heat transfer than tube systems. I was thinking of buying the MOMO shirt and changing the fittings to connect to my CoolShirt system.

Last edited by tedean; 06-26-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Maynor
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was an early adopter with the C02 based Cool Shirts (http://shop.coolshirt.com/p/porticoo...se-and-control). Unfortunately, its not ready for prime time so word to the wise, wait for the next generation.

John
Old 06-26-2013, 01:48 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm in the middle of an interesting rebuild of a 964. It's all in pieces and ive been considering a stripped down AC for dual use. The total weight of the stock system is about 27lbs with the biggest weight being 1. Compressor, 2.condensor/fan 3.lines 4.control unit....

So I'm looking at keeping the factory AC evaporator in the dash (2lbs) fixing the dampers in an open position and running a flex metal tube to the driver and another one for the helmet, putting a BMW or cayanne hybrid electric AC compressor in the boot (6lbs) with short hard lines and a Khul filter dryer and a small evaporator coil in the fender well or just strip the factory unit. I think you could get the whole assembly under 15 lbs which is about a pound lighter than a full 12quart cool suit even without the helmet blower.... The load on the battery isn't too bad the BMW shuts the motor off at the light and AC runs off battery for extended periods and just like the electric power steering you only draw power when you need it..... Almost every factory racecar has the fans and dampers in place in the dash, a kit wouldn't be too hard to fab, even cooling the suit NASA style not too complicated....
Old 06-26-2013, 02:29 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 172 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
So I'm looking at keeping the factory AC evaporator in the dash (2lbs) fixing the dampers in an open position and running a flex metal tube to the driver and another one for the helmet, putting a BMW or cayanne hybrid electric AC compressor in the boot (6lbs) with short hard lines and a Khul filter dryer and a small evaporator coil in the fender well or just strip the factory unit. I think you could get the whole assembly under 15 lbs which is about a pound lighter than a full 12quart cool suit even without the helmet blower.... The load on the battery isn't too bad the BMW shuts the motor off at the light and AC runs off battery for extended periods and just like the electric power steering you only draw power when you need it..... Almost every factory racecar has the fans and dampers in place in the dash, a kit wouldn't be too hard to fab, even cooling the suit NASA style not too complicated....
Great Idea please post your A/C build it you do it. I assume you weighted all the oem stuff. On the few times I have pulled the eval cores in dashes they had blower motors etc on them and they were heavy. I think they were 15+lbs all by themselves. What do you mean running a metal flex tube to the driver? Do you have a way to A/C plumb your race suit like astronought or something?
Old 07-26-2013, 01:04 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how the sanctioning bodies/clubs would deal with people wanting to carry larger C02 tanks in the car to power coolsuits...the ones offered provide an hour of cooling, and they are $50 a pop!
Old 07-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Maynor
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C02 is very, very cheap. You can refill a 20oz paintball bottle for $3 - $4 at a Sports store/ welding supply etc. If you get a 5 or 10 lb tank from a soda/beer store, you can refill them for 50 cents yourself.

If non-flammable and I've read the racing rules for NASA and SCCA and didn't see any exclusions aside from proper mounting of the bottle so it doesn't break away etc. If they can make the shirts work better than they do now, it will be a nice alternative to the ice chest setups.

John
Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

You cool one of these and you have it whipped!
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Mt Cool Shirt...

Is getting pretty tired. I am going to try the hoodie version....(No: I won't attempt a tasteless Hoodie joke.)

I recently went from one of the initial 2004 Cool Shirt coolers (4 quarts?) to the 24 quart variety with PVC running through for the helmet cool air cooling. Won't be hooking this up...would need a blower...big holes in the firewall, run 2 hoses...and then have to modify my helmet...would take even longer to get suited up for a stint. Our sessions seldom exceed 30 minutes, so the Cool Shirt and big 24 quart box works fine.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default On/Off switch

Also installed the cooler in the trunkHad the on/off switch installed too. Love not having to plug into the cigar lighter...

Originally Posted by John H
Cool Shirt here. Love it. I think the key to it is an on/off switch or other flow control. Before I had the controller, it would freeze me out for the first part of the enduro and then it was like a warm bath toward the end when I wished I could just shut if off.

<------------"Ball soup" as Peter Griffin might say.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
You cool one of these and you have it whipped!

Quick Reply: Driver Cooling options