Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pilot Super Sports on Track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I used them last week at LRP on my street GT3RS and while not Hoosiers, I liked them better than the Sport Cups the car came with. However they do not like to get over 40 psi, but still a strong thumbs up

Last edited by Qwickrick; 04-19-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-19-2013, 08:36 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great tire!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
However they do not like to get over 40 psi, but still a strong thumbs up
I agree with everything that's been said so far, and agree that you want to watch your hot tire pressures. They do get quite slippery above 40 psi.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:32 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'll definitely consider the RE-11A once they're aviailable in my size. How do you compare the RE-11 with R-comps you've used?
Can't say as I've never (believe it or not) used R-comps.....glad you made your decision and good luck with them.

Just came off the track at Mid-Ohio--right at the end of the run it snowed like hell! Reason why I run streets (though even they didn't help that much; the track was treacherous @ 37 deg)....

Gary
Old 04-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Upstate101
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would you say they compare to the new Dunlop Durezza Star Spec?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Upstate101
How would you say they compare to the new Dunlop Durezza Star Spec?
Will be interesting to hear from those that have tried both. I am currently running the older Dunlop DSP, and would hazard that the Michelin will be:

1. Slightly slower in the dry
2. Better performing in all other conditions
3. Significantly lighter for a given size
4. Manufactured to a higher tolerance/uniformity
5. Quieter
6. A fair bit more expensive, to make up for items 2 through 5

Cheers

Matt
Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 AM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'll definitely consider the RE-11A once they're aviailable in my size. How do you compare the RE-11 with R-comps you've used?
We've had RE-11 and Hoosier R6 on the RS, on the same day even. I haven't tried the RE-11A, yet, though, and don't know if any of the below has changed with them.

The RE-11 have far less dry grip than an R-comp (even less grippy ones than the RS). They're not like the Kumho XS (Which I found gave me near-R-comp levels of grip once warmed up, but needed to be warmed up like an R-comp). The RE-11s also have a much lower operating temperature. They overheat easily, and on a hot Texas day, they'll overheat on me in as little as 10 minutes if I'm really playing. They don't take damage from this - no chunking, no heavy graining - and go right back to grippy and responsive once they cool down. They're pretty communicative, too.

But the RE-11's real strong suit, in my mind, is in the wet. I had them on one of my cars on Cresson in the wet. For those not in Texas and/or not familiar, the line at Cresson is polished smooth, and gets a nice limestone dust coating. It's ridiculously slick. On a morning, first session, in the high 30s/low 40s, with rain overnight but no longer actively raining (so wet track but drying), I was on the RE-11s while everyone else was on other street tires or R-comps. I was able to drive on the "dry" line (which was rather wet at the time) and find good amounts of grip. The tires communicated to me about the grip well. I've never had a racing wet tire on my car, so I can't compare to those, but I've not had any other tire give me as much grip and communication in cool/cold wet conditions.

As a street/wet tire to pair with an R-comp, I love the RE-11s. As an only tire on a tracked car, I'd look to something like the SuperSports or Star Specs instead.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,374 Likes on 2,488 Posts

Got the Super Sports and will have them on track soon. Any thoughts on optimum hot pressure with a 997.1S?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:15 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Can anyone able to compare the Super Sports to PS2s?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,374 Likes on 2,488 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdavis
Can anyone able to compare the Super Sports to PS2s?
I can't compare them to PS2s (yet), but I've heard that the Super Sports are better. And I found that the PS2s had about the same grip as AD08s and RE11s, but the PS2s didn't last nearly as long on the track.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

PS2s have too much tread to run in the advanced run groups. You'll destroy them if you're even remotely exuberant. They'll chunk and shred.

Super Sports are much better than the PS2. I've only got five track days on them so far and I'm really, really liking them. Looking forward to seeing how well they hold up over time. Great feedback, they handle heat pretty well, and they don't weigh much.

RE11 are absolutely magic in the wet, you'll feel like a super hero. They come up to temp in two turns so you'll be putting the scare into all the R6 guys the first few laps, but 20 minutes in they turn into slippery, greasy, oversteery messes. Great fun for your passengers, but your lap times fall off fast. Just come in early and tell everyone you were low on fuel. Despite that, I really love 'em. They're heavy too, enough that you'll feel it. You can run them all the way down the cords before you throw them away.

AD08 have really good grip when they're young, but they heat cycle out way before you run out of tread. You'll end up with four beautiful tires on your car that are terrifying to run on the track because they slide like bowling *****. You won't get any more sessions out of them than you can get out of a set of Hoosiers, and they cost about the same.

Hankook RS-3 are OK. Not very good in the wet, sensitive to pressure on track. High level of grip, but poor feedback. I was glad to use them up, no plans to try them again.

MPSC are terrifying in the wet, so they're atrocious on the street, and they're not very great on track either. I really don't like the feedback they provide, no matter how grippy they are.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:45 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
PS2s have too much tread to run in the advanced run groups. You'll destroy them if you're even remotely exuberant. They'll chunk and shred.

Super Sports are much better than the PS2. I've only got five track days on them so far and I'm really, really liking them. Looking forward to seeing how well they hold up over time. Great feedback, they handle heat pretty well, and they don't weigh much.

RE11 are absolutely magic in the wet, you'll feel like a super hero. They come up to temp in two turns so you'll be putting the scare into all the R6 guys the first few laps, but 20 minutes in they turn into slippery, greasy, oversteery messes. Great fun for your passengers, but your lap times fall off fast. Just come in early and tell everyone you were low on fuel. Despite that, I really love 'em. They're heavy too, enough that you'll feel it. You can run them all the way down the cords before you throw them away.

AD08 have really good grip when they're young, but they heat cycle out way before you run out of tread. You'll end up with four beautiful tires on your car that are terrifying to run on the track because they slide like bowling *****. You won't get any more sessions out of them than you can get out of a set of Hoosiers, and they cost about the same.

Hankook RS-3 are OK. Not very good in the wet, sensitive to pressure on track. High level of grip, but poor feedback. I was glad to use them up, no plans to try them again.

MPSC are terrifying in the wet, so they're atrocious on the street, and they're not very great on track either. I really don't like the feedback they provide, no matter how grippy they are.
Thanks for the detailed review.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:34 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Super Sports are the ultimate arrive, drive and then drive home again tire.
If that is what you are looking for just order them - they can't be beat.
Hot Temps 33-35 front and 36-38 rear for the track for a 911.
The tires do need to go through a scrubbing to remove all the release agent - be prepared for this as the first half day you can get into ABS issues until it is all scrubbed off - they get much better after that - don't judge them until this happens. Probably also better not to use a very aggressive pad as again ABS won't be totally happy - an endure type pad after scrubbing is perfect.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:48 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm very please to see all the positive feedback on the Super Sport. Michelin really does have itself a winner with this tire. It's quickly becoming a "go-to" for people looking for a great all around performance that can hold up to track use.

Please give me a call to order, or use this link. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:10 PM
car_slave
Pro

I'm currently trying deicide between Dunlop Z11 or the BFGoodrich Rival. I ran the Dunlop Z1 for years, and was happen with that - outside edges did take a pounding though.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sports on Track?