Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sparco Harness bar legal for HPDE???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 PM
rickgrande
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sparco Harness bar legal for HPDE???

I am looking at buying a Sparco harness bar for my 996 to do HPDE events. The harnesses would be routed via proper seats, but I wanted to ask if this type of partial bar is allowed for HPDE events with groups like PCA, BMW, MVP, and CHIN.

http://www.sparcousa.com/product/harness-bar the unit has the cross bar and down bars to the floor mounts.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:07 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

You may want to double check with the specific regions that you run with, but I believe the PCA clubs in the greater NYC area all allow harness bars (provided the harnesses are mounted properly and you use proper seats).

I'm not sure how much research you've already done, but for the 996, I believe that there are a few completely bolt-in roll bars that are not much more expensive than that bar. Those options may offer you additional safety, and they should be fairly easy to get.

Hope that helps
Old 04-10-2013, 01:30 AM
Byron in MS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Brey-Krause harness bar and have run with NASA, PCA and others with no problems. As white says, with proper seats, belts and installation, you should be good.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 136 Posts

They are legal for PCA, NASA etc for HPDE use. Proper seats of course are required and the harnesses must be routed per the instructions included with the harness bar. These are particular bars are harness guide bars. You are not supposed to attach the shoulder belts to them. If that is what you are looking to do, you should get a harness truss like the one in the link below:

http://www.ogracing.com/brey-krause-...-996-997-coupe

My personal feeling is that if you are going to use a 5 or 6pt harness with racing seats, then you should consider a roll bar, like a DAS Sport or GMG roll bar.

Kind regards,

Quick Reply: Sparco Harness bar legal for HPDE???