Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black people shouldn't fund auto racing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Default Black people shouldn't fund auto racing?

What is it called when you make a decision based on the color of someone's skin? Yeah, its called racism.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/04/05/bi...osports-event/

Birmingham City Councilman: City with majority black population shouldn’t give funding to autosports event

10:45 AM 04/05/2013

Patrick Howley
Investigative Reporter

Birmingham, Ala. City Councilman Steven Hoyt said that his city should not provide funding to host a major auto racing event because Birmingham has a “majority black population.”

Hoyt made his statement during a divisive City Council battle over whether to provide $300,000 to continue to host the Honda-Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at the city’s Barber Motorsports Park, where it has been a local tourist attraction since 2010.

“This event has created almost $80 million of economic impact,” City Councilman Jay Roberson said in support of the racing event, according to WSFA 12.

But City Councilman Steven Hoyt disagreed.

“I have seen nobody, nobody, that looks like me making any decision about Barber Sports Motor place. None. Zero,” Hoyt said.

Birmingham mayor William Bell eventually withdrew his financial support this week for the racing event.

Councilman Hoyt, who has represented Birmingham’s Eighth District on the City Council since his first election in 2005, also co-authored the Jefferson County Economic Development and Industrial Authority’s Minority Participation Policy, “which guarantees minority inclusion in all contract opportunities that are initiated by the board.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/04/05/bi...#ixzz2Pbnhs9L9
Old 04-05-2013, 02:21 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Never seen a black guy in a Honda, no.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:37 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,900 Likes on 1,722 Posts

Stupidity knows no color and as such, they don't deserve the event. The only number they should see is $300k of promotion funds draws $80m in visitors and taxes for the region off the top of that number -- that color is GREEN.

Honestly, the business owners in that area should recall this genius. Hotels, restaurants, rental cars, all the way down to the business supplying the port-o-potties, EVERY owner of every business should be in this guys face.

What is wrong with people these days? Why do things always have to be simplified into race or class envy?
Old 04-05-2013, 03:00 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

By reading his quotations you can see he's very intuitive.
Let's group fund his opponent for the next election.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Unbelieveable.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Uhm, might it be possible that this article in full or in part does not tell the entire story?

Might it be possible that someone misspoke?

Might it be possible that there are competing "interests" for $300k in the budget?

Might it be possible that the simple statements about economic impacts do not tell the entire story about what the "benefits" really are and where they are realized? Is there a missing quote or two?

Would I want to assume that Bubba, the grand wizard of the local klan realizes 80% of the benefits and that the $300k comes from the computer budget of mostly hispanic inner city children?

I like racing, but I realize it is a business. And the relationship between business and government can be complex. Lots of possibility for arguments, different interpretations of "fact," and so on. And when people get to disagreeing, sometimes they make arguments in public that disregard intelligent folk like all of us and go for the gut reaction of the less educated/informed?

I am also old enough to realize that while politics and business have things in common, there are differences as well.

So I am a little hesitant to assign labels or make judgments based upon a paucity of information.

But that's just me
Old 04-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Doesn't matter.

When an elected or appointed governnment official says something like this is a bad idea because their jurisdiction is x% of a certain race, it is disgusting.

Imagine if he had said because the city had a majority white population, supporting XYZ event is a bad idea.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:14 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,900 Likes on 1,722 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Uhm, might it be possible that this article in full or in part does not tell the entire story?

Might it be possible that there are competing "interests" for $300k in the budget?

Might it be possible that the simple statements about economic impacts do not tell the entire story about what the "benefits" really are and where they are realized? Is there a missing quote or two?

Would I want to assume that Bubba, the grand wizard of the local klan realizes 80% of the benefits and that the $300k comes from the computer budget of mostly hispanic inner city children?

I like racing, but I realize it is a business. And the relationship between business and government can be complex. Lots of possibility for arguments, different interpretations of "fact," and so on. And when people get to disagreeing, sometimes they make arguments in public that disregard intelligent folk like all of us and go for the gut reaction of the less educated/informed?

I am also old enough to realize that while politics and business have things in common, there are differences as well.

So I am a little hesitant to assign labels or make judgments based upon a paucity of information.

But that's just me
I understand what your saying, but have you ever been to a professional race? There is no monopoly on who benefits. Even Bernie Eccelstone, who gets huge $$ when the circus is in town doesn't get the benefits from the hotels, restaurants, flights, cars, support services, etc.

I don't trust pandering politicians and this smells like a bull**** artist who wants to circle the wagons based on race and move up the political food chain.

Of course, I could be wrong and he is in it for himself. Jesse Jackson became a multi-millionaire with similar type tactics but on a much bigger scale. When he went after big corporations, they knew that to shut him up, you had to pay him off.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:15 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

But that's just me
Watch the council meeting and news report videos. Steven Hoyt is obviously concerned with the fact that people that don't look like him are running the race. He is willing to risk losing the positive economic impact (~$80 million) of the event to the city because no people that look like him are running the event.

Scott
Old 04-05-2013, 04:21 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess he hasn't heard of Detroit, Baltimore or long beach....

Old 04-05-2013, 04:32 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

But that's just me
I think you are trying hard to see the other side when all you need to do is read the first sentence in the article:

City Councilman Steven Hoyt said that his city should not provide funding to host a major auto racing event because Birmingham has a “majority black population.”

I wouldn't care if someone wanted to have a basketball tournament in my home town if it brought in a significant amount of money. Since I am white and have no interest in basketball that would be a valid reason to say I don't support the event? If this council is being asked to pony up some money I think it is pretty safe to say that they at least collect the tax revenue from the increased spending.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:39 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

***** T Ribbs?

http://www.racer.com/*****-t-ribbs-a...rticle/202725/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willy_T._Ribbs

I know hes retired but was a pro driver.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I agree, taken by itself such a quote is inappropriate in my opinion. But I do not take quotes by themselves. Even quotes from secretly taped videos at fundraisers. Even quotes about guns and religion in Pennsylvania. People make mistakes about what they say all of the time. It even happens in Forums like these. We are not perfect beings, and often even more so when we are trying to convince others toward some outcome we desire.

Yes I have been to a professional race. I have actually raced in paid spectator events and been compensated for race results (won a "purse"). As a businessperson with some amount of educational background and experience, I have heard arguments like: "if we invest y we can get a huge multiple of that investment, so why not?" It is almost never that simple in my experience.

In this case I do not know who would reap the benefits as I haven't tried to read any of what might be easily accessible information. I am old enough to know that there can be "unfairness" when it comes to reaping benefits from such things. And of course not necessarily along racial lines. Lots of possibilities.

I would not say that the city in which I live should definitely hold an F1 race because we automatically get $300M of local benefit for a $10M investment. Our political and economic systems are a little too complex for me to instantly take such a position.

And Scott, no I did not watch any videos or access any other information about what happened there. I don't care enough to spend the time. But "obviousness" to you is different from obviousness to me. You know that.

Of course if the situation is what it "seems" to some folk, then it will sort itself out. Like college coaches roughing up players in practice.

"Seems? Nay it is. I know not seems."
Old 04-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I have not ever been in government, but I might guess that spending $300k on one thing may impact another option.

Could it be true that a $300k government investment has a competing potential $XX million dollar impact that is targeted on this particular politician's constituents? Hmmm, which one to support.... Sure in theory. Maybe in this case, maybe not.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I have a cousin that is in the news industry in DC and is fairly high up on that food chain. He may be interested in this story.

Quick Reply: Black people shouldn't fund auto racing?