Sponsored by:

Open Trailer Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 04:09 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Open Trailer Question

I've been down the road with the large enclosed (5th Wheel toy hauler) trailer that could haul everything when I ran dirt bike races. I want to keep it simple this time around.

I'll be pulling a '03 996 C2 that I'm slowly converting to a track car. I've looked at a lot of used open trailers and have been focused on getting one that has removable fenders. Is this really necessary? Any other suggestions? I already have an F250 diesel to pull it with.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:20 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You've got the experience to know better.

Simple is a 26' or 28' enclosed. Room for everything, A/C and a couple goodies and you're there. If you don't do it now, you'll do it later.

But you know this already I'll bet.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

You'll need to remove the fenders on an open trailer in order to open your car doors.

Open aluminum trailers hold their value well.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:30 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lost, no you don't need them for the right trailer, like the Trailex that was just pulled out of my driveway 10 minutes ago. I tried to tell you!

Kai's right though. You have the right tow vehicle, so go find a 24-28 footer for less than I just sold my open aluminum one for.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:45 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

Thanks MarkM. I just wasn't ready to pull the trigger a few weeks ago when you first put your's up for sale. I assumed it was already gone or I would have checked back with you. I've gone back and forth between enclosed and open and then back again. Your right I'll probably end up with a enclosed down the road, but pulling that massive trailer and getting it set up was a lot of stress. I harken back to the simple days of pulling my three-rail open dirt bike trailer with my Jeep Cherokee.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:52 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

The need to have removable fenders depends upon the trailer and your car. In general, you will need to have them to be able to open the car doors. However certain trailers, the Trailex in particular have been designed to avoid this. I've also seen people modify their trailers by bolting down 2X8's to the trailer floor so that the car sits high enough for the car doors to be able to clear the fenders.

You can use a winch to load and unload the car, in which case you usually won't need to open the car doors and thus won't need to remove the trailer fender. However, should the winch fail, which sooner or later everything does, you will have to either remove a fender, or climb into and out of the car via the window.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

My Featherlite has removeable fenders. I absolutely need to remove them in order to open the car's doors.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:41 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

I measured my door clearance before selecting a trailer and then selected one with enough clearance over the fender.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:49 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

I am about to pull the trigger on a R&R Trailer (http://www.aluminumtrailers.org/qual...-car-trailers/). The bed sits high enough you do not need to remove the fenders.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't have the extensive experience that the rest of the guys have in here. Having said that, I have a C2 and an open steel trailer. Simple, rugged (yes, a bit heavy).....
My car is lowered, but I do not need to remove the fenders. drive on, tie down, and go.
In a perfect world, sure the right Trailex/Featherlight would be the preferred choice, ....I am still searching for one that fits the bill (and isn't located in Florida- too far to drive to pick-up). In the meantime, this one works just fine, even if not ideal. The rest of the track "stuff" goes in the back of the truck...done.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:09 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GENERALLY SPEAKING
if you do not want to remove fenders you will get longer ramps to get your car to a trailer platform that rides "on" the axles -- a la trailex

If you are willing to remove a fender, the deck of the trailer will be lower and have shorter ramps, a la featherlite (although with low ground clearance car you still need race ramps in addition to the trailer ramps that come with it)

Removing a fender on a featherlite open can be done in less than 4 seconds and is a very simple affair

I would highly reccomend shelling out for a name brand quality alum open trailer (trailex, featherlite) as when it comes time to sell (i bet less than 2 years) they go away quickly and for 80% of new pricing.

Open is easier in many ways but the loading and unloading of it each time you need to use it can be a pain... as opposed to an enclosed that you can leave everything in...
Old 04-03-2013, 08:39 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

I have no trouble with my trailex with the fenders. I agree with others I will probably end up with enclosed a couple of years down the road. You have obviously been there before so do what works for you. Guess my point is if you go open there are various options for the fender. good luck.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

F250 means no need for an expensive aluminum trailer. I have a steel open and I did as suggested, I measured the clearance I needed and shopped a round. I have one with a steel deck. If you get one with a wooden deck you can always lay down 2 x 12s till you get your desired height.

Having said that I also have a 26' enclosed now.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Upstate101
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Aluma open aluminum trailer with removable fenders, but I can open the doors on the S2 without removing the fender.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

I had a Featherlite open trailer. When hauling my (at the time) spec Box the fenders had to be removed. Not only that but my doors would still hit the trailer tires. My solution was to put two race ramps (trailer caddy) under the front wheels which gave me clearance to open the car doors. It also made loading the car very easy since I knew where to put the ramps before I loaded the car.

Quick Reply: Open Trailer Question