Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used slicks and usable heat cycles

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

okay my .02 coming from the guy who has STACKS (72) of used slicks in my shop...... and I only run slicks on my car...

Pirelli DH compound..... excellent on low cycles....and in high heat....as they age, they take longer and longer to warm up....fresh-ish ones warm up very quick...ones with high cycles take longer BUT still provide good peak grip....i have turned lap times within .1 second off personal best on a lightly corded tire (think only 1" total on inside edge) The downside is cool weather especially on high cycles... anything below 60F SUCKS....horrible.....maybe 50F if they are new-er When driven hard they last around 2 hours.....then they cord...if you are more gentle they can go longer....but I run square setup and tend to loose fronts around 2 hours ish...

Yokohama 240/640-18 and 280/680-18 the GT3 cup tires......honestly I LOVE them....I shouldn't be able to run such a small front tire but it works....the little front tires in my front engine RWD car isn't ideal but it works.....not as fast as the Pirelli....but they last much longer....at least twice as long....

Michelin's.......honestly I don't like them.....I ran 25/64-18's all around and HATED IT....far too loose on my car.....I do have some 24/64-18 that I might try in front with the 25 in rear, but I think my brute 243whp 2850lb off track racer might be too much for such a small rear tire...however they don't seem to wear at all...or cycle out

Hoosier R6....once you have jumped to slicks.....anything DOT sucks....even used slicks are much better than R6...the only tire that is close is Hoosier A6 that will cord in maybe 1 day or so....

When it comes to "racing"......its all about stickers.....slicks or not....for DE its all about cost effectiveness....and used slicks can do that......
Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 AM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto ^^^^^

Pirelli DH still doing personal best times after 18-20 HCs. Definitely less grip until hot as HCs go up. If you are willing to do a warm up lap or two these tires are still good for DE. Believe Pirelli warnings about exposing to freezing weather (they are likely to develop cracks while cooling down from runs if they have been exposed to low temps - lost a full set that where exposed to temps in the teens). Also note/heed minimum 23 PSI cold inflation recommended by Pirelli or risk damaging/blowing out sidewalls. Got away with 19-20 cold at several tracks but lost left front twice at WGI and had 2 friends have same experience. Tires seemed fine early in the day but sidewalls blew out late in day - loosing a tire going through esses gets your attention. Going out cold at 23-24 no problems with DHs after up to 20 heat cycles.

Quick Reply: Used slicks and usable heat cycles