Sponsored by:

Replay 1080xd vs GoPro3...Anyone have a vid comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Replay 1080xd vs GoPro3...Anyone have a vid comparison

Ive been waiting to buy a camera to see some side by side with the Hero 3 and havent been able to find much

I love the replay for its field of vision and light contrast...GoPro has always had too much fish eye so you can see anything out in front of the car

my old aiptek was perfect and similar to the replay...could see the hands and just above the windshield...gopro's tend to show the floor and the roof behind the camera almost so when a car is 5 feet in front of you it looks like its 10 car lengths...(yes a simple solution is to go faster and have no car in front of you but)

I have heard issues with the replays hardwired on off switch but also hear of some simple solutions in astromans recent thread.

gopro's remote ive heard very good things about but i just havent seen any go pro3 video yet.

any help is appreciated....
Old 03-28-2013, 10:03 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

GoPro 3 video for fast motion motorsports is very good, better than Hero 2. Downside is that they are smaller, more cheaply built and use a mSD card that fumbly fingers can easly lose. Of course, the Replay XD 1080 uses the same form factor of card.

IMO, Replay is just as good if not a little better. It certainly is MUCH better built and more configurable. I think that the field of view distortion present in the GoPro is the major reason why I'm going to recommend that the 150 or so odd GoPro/Traqmate users that I've sold to switch to the Replay XD 1080.

With the hardwire solution that charges the camera, the only pain is unscrewing the back to get the card out. I think as the documentation and the support literature gets better, many of the issues with the Replay will be resolved.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

This should provide some insight...

http://reviews.mtbr.com/pov-action-c...ut-camera-best
Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
This should provide some insight...

http://reviews.mtbr.com/pov-action-c...ut-camera-best
Love the test rig!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

that test rig is pretty funny, says it was 6lbs haha

the problem with most of the comparisons is how they use it, for us (well me) its in the car....i dont want a fisheye so my a pillar looks like a circle which seems to be the case on the go pro and most of the others.
And there are so many setting once you get it that many people have them looking pretty nice, ive even seen gopro's that look ok, not as nice as the replay vids but close, and with all the mounting and use i could get out of the gopro with the family it has me thinking (aka underwater, powerwheels etc)

thats why im hoping to see some hero3 files, i know i like the replay and have been leaning towards it all winter (just expected something new to come out...which the h3 did while i was looking)

this is my aiptek cheapo that i love....perfect FOV, good sound, color, light, not much wasted space, can see my hand and just above the windsheild...this video was a little shaky because the mounting point was starting to fail, made a metal L bracket and it was rock solid....the battery was terrible, and the mounting point broke to the point of being unfixable or id stick with it.
not the greatest driving but
Old 03-28-2013, 12:02 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

I switched over to the Swann HD Freestyle a while ago. Like all the others, it's not without its problems, but it works pretty well. Here's some video I shot with two of them last year, one mounted on the rollbar, the other on the trunk of my SM.

https://vimeo.com/49203485

They are dirt cheap. Amazon has them at $136. I think Swann may have discontinued them, hence the cheap price. They come with a wireless RF remote that has three buttons. One for record, one for stop, and one for a snapshot.

Amazon.com: Swann Freestyle 1080p HD Waterproof Sports Video Camera: Camera & Photo Amazon.com: Swann Freestyle 1080p HD Waterproof Sports Video Camera: Camera & Photo

Just like the Aiptek, you have to figure out a way to hardwire them. I found a Garmin motorcycle hardwire kit that works perfectly for powering these cameras, and probably will for many others. Hook the red wire to hot, the black to ground, and it's plug and play.

Amazon.com: Garmin Nuvi Hardwire Cable (Mini-USB connector) for Garmin Nuvi: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: Garmin Nuvi Hardwire Cable (Mini-USB connector) for Garmin Nuvi: GPS & Navigation
Old 03-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

picture look great,,,,,shunt not so much.

thats the right Field of vision in my eyes.

but cmon another thing to research...
Old 03-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used a ChaseCam for years but bought an XD1080 last year to get good HD video. As Peter says, with the new remote cable with hard-wired power, it's a great camera (just a minor pain to screw/unscrew).
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

I like the billet mounts (lost too many plastic case ears off the GoPro, along with the GoPros themselves) of the Replay, too. Just a much nicer piece at less than the GP 3 Black Edition.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:16 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der ABT
picture look great,,,,,shunt not so much.

thats the right Field of vision in my eyes.

but cmon another thing to research...
I actually agree on all points, particularly the field of vision. I hate the cameras that give a fisheye type view.

I stumbled on the Swann camera last year when Woot! put it on sale, and I like a lot about it. I figured I'd post for those that are looking for a low cost solution. Also, the Garmin power supply is nice and I'll bet it will work for a number of cameras.

All that said, if I were shopping for a camera right now and willing to pay the relatively modest cost, I would probably go with the Replay. I completely agree with Peter on the billet mount in particular. Really the way to go if you can make it work.

Quick Reply: Replay 1080xd vs GoPro3...Anyone have a vid comparison