Ratcheting Tie Down Straps

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
One of the true joys of hauling a car. "Hey, what's that ******* doing tailgating... oh, never mind"

I got over it after a year or two for the most part, but still every once and a while it gets me.
What's worse is driving like you still have a trailer attached for a day or so after a long tow.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Has anyone else ever been on the road for a while and get startled when they look in the mirror and see their car on the trailer and think it is someone driving "really close" or is that just me? Usually I leave for the track in the dark very early in the morning and when the sun comes up I usually have an "oh $hit" moment when I see a car in my rear view mirror. In my own defense I'm normally still half asleep.
LOL, and I thought it was only me!

after a long weekend sometimes I'll tilt my mirror up so I don't do that again...
Old 03-26-2013, 12:38 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use chains at the back of the car as well. I always feel that they are good insurance in case I ever have to make a "panic" stop, or worse, I hit something with my truck. I don't want the car shooting forward off of the trailer into the back of my truck.

Has anyone else ever been on the road for a while and get startled when they look in the mirror and see their car on the trailer and think it is someone driving "really close" or is that just me? Usually I leave for the track in the dark very early in the morning and when the sun comes up I usually have an "oh $hit" moment when I see a car in my rear view mirror. In my own defense I'm normally still half asleep.
You are not alone.

Originally Posted by sbelles
What's worse is driving like you still have a trailer attached for a day or so after a long tow.
do that too.

I have been using the home depot heavy duty straps for many years with no issues. i use the through the wheels method which I find to be simple to do and works well. Tighten them all up good and snug and stop once 10 min or so later to check the rig and to ratchet out any slack from the wheels turning or the web relaxing. Once I do the second snug up they stay tight. I got into the 10 min and check habit while i was towing an enclosed. Seems no matter how well I looked things over before pulling out something would pop open or start wandering around in the trailer. found all kinds of things like a broom handle leaning on the car and a 5 quart plastic jug of M1 oil slopping around looking for something to poke a hole in itself.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott: I've been using the same 3" straps for 8 years and have never had anything come loose. I doubt I get more than 1 complete wind on the spindle. Obviously it's not the car and it has to bee the straps. Rather than trust that 2 turns on the spindle is going to convert a poor strap to a good one, I'd get new straps.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:19 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Too funny. Happened to me first few times with an open trailer. I'd look up and see some nut job tail gating me.. WTF?? Oh........ Thats my car. Thats me...... The nut job

Very disconcerting..

Old 03-26-2013, 06:52 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
Too funny. Happened to me first few times with an open trailer. I'd look up and see some nut job tail gating me.. WTF?? Oh........ Thats my car. Thats me...... The nut job

Very disconcerting..
Been there too. Kinda freaks you out for a minute.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 297 Likes on 188 Posts

Scott,

How are your D rings attached to your trailer? Welded or bolted to the frame hopefully ... I've seen trailers where they're just bolted to the plywood floor, which I'd think can move enough to cause slack in tiedowns.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:40 PM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy am i glad to hear that happens to other people. I thought I was nuts, but it happens to me at least once on every drive!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:57 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worse yet was after a 2 track 8 day vacation, I was driving to work the day after returning and did an OH S*#T!!! I lost my trailer!!!!

Oh well.

Tom
Old 03-28-2013, 04:10 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,961 Likes on 1,792 Posts

Originally Posted by TAI2
Worse yet was after a 2 track 8 day vacation, I was driving to work the day after returning and did an OH S*#T!!! I lost my trailer!!!!

Oh well.

Tom
That is an even bigger oh $hit moment.

I have driven like I still have a trailer attached after a long trip but I don't think I have ever thought I lost the trailer.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:39 PM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 for Mac's -- solid as a rock. Their fleece strap wraps are really easy on my wheels too. Worth the money.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:35 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I just watched a video on Mac's site. Maybe I am not getting enough wraps on the mandrels. The video says two full wraps which is about six full cranks of the handle.
Fixed!!! This was the problem. I was not getting enough wraps on the mandrels so the straps would slip. I did not need to re-tighten the straps on the way to the track or on the way home.

Scott

Quick Reply: Ratcheting Tie Down Straps