Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pad knock back - due to driving style?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

If your track location data feed is precise enough, check the lines through the turns preceeding where you were experiencing knockback. Is the other driver taking the same line and using the same amound of curbing that you do?

There could be bumps in the track on the loaded side of the car that the other driver is missing, or he's using less (or no) curb at track out.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by claykos
I've had some form of knockback in every race car I've ever had. The gt3r is the best, probably due to the very stiff uprights and brembo anti knockback seals, but I still habitually left foot tap before brake zones. My e36 with stoptechs is the worst. Wish I could find a cure....
Interesting. I have an E36 with Stoptechs and have zero issues, even on bumpy tracks & using lots of corbs...but I always to the left foot tap as a matter of habit...

Originally Posted by Cory M
A quick look at the data reveals some interesting things. I looked at two average laps that were within 0.05 seconds of each other (and about 1.5sec slower than qualifying times). In all of the braking zones I'm on the brakes a lot harder, by an average of about 0.3G. I'm also on the brakes for a shorter period of time, by as much as ~0.5 sec and as far as 100 feet. I'm probably slowing the car too much, and I saw a couple of spots where I could carry a few more MPH through the turns. The other driver may not have been as heavy on the brakes because it was his first time in the car and he didn't know the limits before lock-up. My lap should have been faster but I lost all of my margin in one tricky high speed turn. So it looks like he was spending a lot more time on the brakes and not braking as hard.
I think what you will find is a combination of both your styles works best in many cases: on the brakes more softly AND for less duration. Not only does this reduce the opportunity for your car's brakes to experience knockback...but it is also way faster!

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Could be the other driver didin't notice or doesn't know what knockback feels like. I know what it feels like, but I'm not real sensitive about bad brakes. Having driven lots of older cars with fade and average brakes, I don't get too excited about it.
Also a possibility.

Originally Posted by jerome951
If your track location data feed is precise enough, check the lines through the turns preceeding where you were experiencing knockback. Is the other driver taking the same line and using the same amound of curbing that you do?

There could be bumps in the track on the loaded side of the car that the other driver is missing, or he's using less (or no) curb at track out.
Yup. Video would tell the tale as well.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 916 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I think what you will find is a combination of both your styles works best in many cases: on the brakes more softly AND for less duration. Not only does this reduce the opportunity for your car's brakes to experience knockback...but it is also way faster!
If the knockback is caused by the rotor pushing the pads back (from caliper, rotor, upright, etc flex), how does applying the brakes differently stop that?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
What do these look like and how to they install? I have the issue in my '83 bodied 911 with 930 calipers. Anyone know the piston size for those so I can buy the right springs?
thats exactly what i used.

They are simply springs that start around the size of your piston then get smaller. They simply fit behind the piston. They are very light. I was surprised to see that they would move the piston at all, but on the bench they appeared to work.

I also got a new set of dust boots/rings from paragon to complete the rebuild, and some red rattle can to make things look good
Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Less force input in the system means less force having to be dissipated.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If the knockback is caused by the rotor pushing the pads back (from caliper, rotor, upright, etc flex), how does applying the brakes differently stop that?
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Less force input in the system means less force having to be dissipated.
Maybe it's me, but I'm still confused. The force that does the knock back is the rotor. Your input on the pedal pushes the pads out. How you push on the pedal doesn't change how the rotor moves befoe you push on the pedal.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

The rotor pushes the pad back due to caliper flex, rotor flex, upright flex, etc. Some of that flex can be reduced by using less dramatic inputs.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Thanks! I'll look into those, if they fit I'll try them out.

Could be the other driver didin't notice or doesn't know what knockback feels like. I know what it feels like, but I'm not real sensitive about bad brakes. Having driven lots of older cars with fade and average brakes, I don't get too excited about it.
That could be part of it. He's not very sensitive to suspension changes in the car and doesn't provide very detailed feedback. Maybe since he was starting his braking earlier than me and not braking as hard he never felt the "oh s#it" moment when the pedal goes way past where you expect it to engage.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome951

I don't think my Solo GPS is accurate enough to draw any solid conclusions but I'll take a look. I think I have video too. I was really making a point to not ride the curbs, but the track has a lot of turns (some banked) and a couple of elevation changes.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:39 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue in my car when I use a lot of rough curbing.

The springs sound like a good idea but it seems the spring would result in the pad pushing against the rotor continuously ever so slightly which would scrub speed and wear out pads/rotors faster?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,113 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Heck, in some series, those "helper" springs are illegal. Don't know why...

If there is "knock back," it's a mechanical issue. For whatever reason (lateral shock loading or hydraulics), the rotor is moving side to side in relation to the caliper. Even floating pin calipers (as well as bolt-on versions) are attached to the upright and the stub axle and hub assemblies have to move to make this happen.

Still have questions regarding VR's "soft, long" brakes theory. This idea is not supported by Brembo, PFC or any of the braking manufacturers for proper thermal operation of the braking systems using their components.

That "soft, longer" braking is also not a skills execution goal that I've seen any of the top pros use, but that's another discussion because I don't think this is a thermal issue. It's a mechanical one and should be treated that way.

I do understand the idea and agree with VR's goal of higher entry speed achieved by earlier release, but this covers the last few car lengths of slowing and should not be over the whole braking episode. My experience and opinion, only.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-12-2013, 02:06 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

right it's the different use of curbing.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Heck, in some series, those "helper" springs are illegal. Don't know why...

If there is "knock back," it's a mechanical issue. For whatever reason (lateral shock loading or hydraulics), the rotor is moving side to side in relation to the caliper. Even floating pin calipers (as well as bolt-on versions) are attached to the upright and the stub axle and hub assemblies have to move to make this happen.

Still have questions regarding VR's "soft, long" brakes theory. This idea is not supported by Brembo, PFC or any of the braking manufacturers for proper thermal operation of the braking systems using their components.

That "soft, longer" braking is also not a skills execution goal that I've seen any of the top pros use, but that's another discussion because I don't think this is a thermal issue. It's a mechanical one and should be treated that way.

I do understand the idea and agree with VR's goal of higher entry speed achieved by earlier release, but this covers the last few car lengths of slowing and should not be over the whole braking episode. My experience and opinion, only.
+1
Old 03-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 134 Posts

Using Solo, if you magnify the GPS trace enough, you should be able to see the line in a given corner.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach

That "soft, longer" braking is also not a skills execution goal that I've seen any of the top pros use,
That is not what I said. This is what I said:

"I think what you will find is a combination of both your styles works best in many cases: on the brakes more softly AND for less duration. Not only does this reduce the opportunity for your car's brakes to experience knockback...but it is also way faster! "

Not softer longer...softer & short.

Quick Reply: Pad knock back - due to driving style?