Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aiptek camera alternative- Contour+2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

I guess that's another disadvantage (to some)- the Aiptek has a lower rez composite output when needed to connect to laptops or a TV.

And apparently the Contour has the following feature to make up for lack of monitor. I wondered if the Replay had similar:

"Mobile connectivity means that you can use your smartphone or preferred mobile device to change camera settings or preview video on-the-fly External microphone jack further extends the capability to achieve extra-clear audio and mic gain can be adjusted via the Contour mobile app (separate download)".
Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I think that the Drift Ghost HD is the one for me.
It is very well reviewed and has the features I want especially remote, LCD screen and intuitive ease of use.
The only thing that ostensibly it doesn't have is hard wired capability but it has a mini USB plug that may allow for it. If not it seems to have good battery life at 2-3 hrs which will cover most enduros. There is even an 11,000mAh battery available for up to 20 hrs on a charge.

It also has this feature which sounds cool:
Drift DataLinkTM Wi-Fi Enabled & Drift App The Drift HD Ghost comes Wi-Fi-enabled to communicate instantly with smartphones. Combined with the Drift Mobile App (coming soon for Android) you can preview and line up a shot remotely from your phone, change camera settings, shot recording, photo capture and playback, directly through your mobile device. You can even download content from the camera to your smartphone instantly and share content wirelessly across your favorite social media platforms.

Guess I'll get one and report back here after using. Thanks for the comments and advice.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
I think that the Drift Ghost HD is the one for me.
It is very well reviewed and has the features I want especially remote, LCD screen and intuitive ease of use.
The only thing that ostensibly it doesn't have is hard wired capability but it has a mini USB plug that may allow for it. If not it seems to have good battery life at 2-3 hrs which will cover most enduros. There is even an 11,000mAh battery available for up to 20 hrs on a charge.

It also has this feature which sounds cool:
Drift DataLinkTM Wi-Fi Enabled & Drift App The Drift HD Ghost comes Wi-Fi-enabled to communicate instantly with smartphones. Combined with the Drift Mobile App (coming soon for Android) you can preview and line up a shot remotely from your phone, change camera settings, shot recording, photo capture and playback, directly through your mobile device. You can even download content from the camera to your smartphone instantly and share content wirelessly across your favorite social media platforms.

Guess I'll get one and report back here after using. Thanks for the comments and advice.
Hope you like it; the reviews are outstanding, as is the picture quality and the app.
I bought mine from helmetcamEra.com who threw in a bunch of extras. I think the Drift site is now doing the same.
I'll be interested in how you like it for Motorsports.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

One other thing, though minor, is that the camera has 1/4" threaded mount, same as the Aiptek. so I can screw right in to the existing mount I have on the cage and possibly use the mini USB cable I used with the Aiptek to power it. Will it work? We'll see.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Peter,

How are you aiming the Replay XD1080 camera in the field? I am about to buy a field monitor (~8") with HDMI input but I am not sure which brand and model to get.

Scott
Seems to me you just mount it, shoot a short video while in the paddock/garage, connect a laptop to it via usb, and look at the results. Re-aim, rinse, lather, repeat. No reason to get too fancy.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Seems to me you just mount it and look at the results. No reason to get too fancy.
This was the first time I mounted the Replay XD. By eye.

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-08-2013, 01:11 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
There's also the standalone SmartyCam HD, should be out by the end of the month (pretty sure on that, or I wouldn't say it...)
If you have started a waiting list for the first shipment of inventory, sign me up please!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
If you have started a waiting list for the first shipment of inventory, sign me up please!
I have. You are now on it.

Last edited by ProCoach; 04-15-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:17 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought a Contour Roam2 to try out. Slick design, looks very durable, and very easy to turn on and/off. I only need to shoot a few clips at each autox event so it suits me well.

Anyone knows when Contour will roll out the 1080 60fps version? So far only GoPro Hero3 Black has it. 720p 60fps is smooth but still lacks resolution played on a large screen. 1080p 30fps looks sharp in static (dashboard and instruments), but fast motion (track and landscape) is tiring to watch.

Quick Reply: Aiptek camera alternative- Contour+2?