Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sports to Complement Race car driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Racquetball, because the mental aspect is perhaps more important than the physical aspect, just like in racing. It teaches you to think multiple moves (corners) ahead, carefully observe your opponent for strengths & weaknesses, maneuver with full spatial awareness without losing sight of where your opponent is (and isn't), and fully consider the physics of every move.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:56 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

I love tennis as much as racing and play on 3 or 4 USTA teams. It's great mentally and physically not bad, great for helping vision and coordination. I think Bob Wollek loved tennis too.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:57 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for Road cycling. You learn to read the road and think about watts/power. Good for the mind and body in my experence.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:20 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I practice weight lifting 3 times a week with a trainer, I'm also a red advanced belt in Tae Kwon Do.
Both help with cardio and strength, TKD adds flexibility and "stress management".
I also play bass. It mellows the hell out of me. At least I like to think so. Oddly enough if I had to pick only one of those three hobbies, it'd be bass. By a LONG shot.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:27 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Road racing - bikes, especially crits. (one of the best ways to get fit without doing damage to knees & ankles). Road racing also requires continuous assessment of your capabilities (lots of think'n).

GS Ski racing - Apexes, grip , anticipation, surface/snow assessment and application.

Both also require mental imagery and superior focus to do well.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:43 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Road racing motorcycles......

Scott
Old 02-27-2013, 05:57 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Skiing. I love it when I get a green student who is either a skier or a pilot.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I was thinking flying too... love air force pilot students.

lately I've been doing a lot of sailboat racing.
not the same, but its still racing. feeling subtle speed differences.

and its all about being just a little faster than your competition.... strategy and execution.

that, and stupid money for equipment that is just a little lighter, stronger, and faster!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Fubawu
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cory M
I am not sure skiing in the trees are the best option they tend to not bend when you hit them
I suggest racing. I have been ski racing since I was a kid and it is a great way to understand line
vision ahead etc.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Fubawu
Cory M
I am not sure skiing in the trees are the best option they tend to not bend when you hit them
I suggest racing. I have been ski racing since I was a kid and it is a great way to understand line
vision ahead etc.
I just meant planning out lines and dodging obstacles compared to going down a wide open slope. Ski racing would have the all the same challenges and more, plus the additional stress that comes with competing. There used to be a racer in our club who was a former speed skier on the Swedish Olympic team, he won a couple of championships and still has some of the lap records. I guess when you have skied at over 100mph it's not so scary in a car
Old 02-27-2013, 08:58 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

I can only go based on my own experience .I was a gymnast and avid ping pong player.Seemed to help me excel other sports
Now I just do cross fit.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Golf. (Yeah, keep laughing.) How many of you guys have been on track for nearly 2/3 of your life? I began with golf when I was 13, and cars (admittedly doing stupid stuff on the street) when I was 16. 21 officially on track, licensed. And the mental focus of golf definitely helped me both driving, and with the crew work I was also doing.

Now? Don't really care. However I perform is how I perform, and I'm not going to waste a bunch of time in a gym in some hope I have more endurance, or am .1 sec/lap quicker. If I want to wear myself out (last weekend in CO!), I'm the 50 year old snowboarder who hopped on one for the first time a couple of years ago after nearly 25 years of skiing.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:56 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Road racing motorcycles......

Scott
^^^^
Winner
Old 02-28-2013, 12:03 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
I was thinking flying too... love air force pilot students.

lately I've been doing a lot of sailboat racing.
not the same, but its still racing. feeling subtle speed differences.

and its all about being just a little faster than your competition.... strategy and execution.

that, and stupid money for equipment that is just a little lighter, stronger, and faster!
Flying has a lot of similarities; all about control pressures, even more so with helicopters. Been doing some regattas lately with a buddy in his hobie tiger... lots to learn about being subtle and understanding forces...
Old 02-28-2013, 12:10 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Golf. (Yeah, keep laughing.) How many of you guys have been on track for nearly 2/3 of your life? I began with golf when I was 13, and cars (admittedly doing stupid stuff on the street) when I was 16. 21 officially on track, licensed. And the mental focus of golf definitely helped me both driving, and with the crew work I was also doing.

Now? Don't really care. However I perform is how I perform, and I'm not going to waste a bunch of time in a gym in some hope I have more endurance, or am .1 sec/lap quicker. If I want to wear myself out (last weekend in CO!), I'm the 50 year old snowboarder who hopped on one for the first time a couple of years ago after nearly 25 years of skiing.
not a big golfer but I agree with you especially on the mental aspects.

Quick Reply: Sports to Complement Race car driving