Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which brake pads for a 996 cabrio in DE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013 | 12:29 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question Which brake pads for a 996 cabrio in DE?

Hello everyone,

I need to pull the trigger on some new pads ASAP before next weekend's DE event at CMP.

I've been using Porsche Motorsports pads which are okay but there have been times I've had to literally stand on the brakes to get the car stopped after running some hot laps. They are now close to the end of their lifespan so I need to change things up.

My car is on street tires and I run in the "White" group which is exactly in the middle in terms of skill level at our local PCA chapter. I will only participate in 2-3 events this year so I'll swap these pads out after I'm done running them on the track and go back to my EBC reds for the street.

In my research a lot of people point to the Pagid Yellows. Are these overkill for my purposes? Or should I try something like the Hawk HP+? I'd like to order some pads today so I can install them and bed them in before the event next week.
Old 02-27-2013 | 12:32 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Pagid yellows will squeal like a piggy. I've heard hawks will chew up rotors but not personal experience.

I'm going to play with some cobalts and carbotecs next on the recommendations of a few racer buddies.
Old 02-27-2013 | 12:39 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
Pagid yellows will squeal like a piggy. I've heard hawks will chew up rotors but not personal experience.

I'm going to play with some cobalts and carbotecs next on the recommendations of a few racer buddies.
I was afraid of that but hoped that for the few days I have them on they would be somewhat quiet. I know my Porsche pads were hit or miss in terms of their noise.

Not familiar with Cobalts but with the Carbotecs any idea on the recommended compound? There seem to be about 10 different types.
Old 02-27-2013 | 12:40 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

I use Pagid blacks on all four corners of my race car. I found they have better bite than the yellows
and you don't have to stand on them as hard as the yellow.
Old 02-27-2013 | 12:42 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fpena944
I was afraid of that but hoped that for the few days I have them on they would be somewhat quiet. I know my Porsche pads were hit or miss in terms of their noise.

Not familiar with Cobalts but with the Carbotecs any idea on the recommended compound? There seem to be about 10 different types.
yes you're spoiled for choice with carbotecs. haven't decided which compound I'll use.
Old 02-27-2013 | 01:05 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DDun911
I use Pagid blacks on all four corners of my race car. I found they have better bite than the yellows
and you don't have to stand on them as hard as the yellow.
I've read up on the blacks and they do seem to be a better fit for a DE environment.
Old 02-27-2013 | 01:17 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

PFC's or Pagid Yellow 29's
Old 02-27-2013 | 01:27 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Fernando:
Since you are going to swap back to street pads between DE events, don't waste time with Hawk HP+. Its a decent pad for autocross and light track use, but as a white group driver, you will probably find them not meeting your needs.

I think a good choice for you driving your 996 on street tires, would be either the Performance Friction 08 compound or the Pagid RS19 or 29 yellow. Reason being is that both are more rotor friendly than some of the other compounds. Also they will not overwhelm your street tires.
Old 02-27-2013 | 01:45 PM
JRMaroon
Instructor

Fernando,

I was also running Porsche Sport Pads on my car for track and street. The upgrade that I have been happy with is PFC 06 front and back. My track tires are sticky street tires (Yokohama AD08), and the combination works well for me at Road Atlanta. I've also installed GT3 ducts.

I swap these in for DEs and back to the Sport Pads for street. They also seem to be easy on rotors and they are durable, showing little wear after 12 days.

The PFC compound doesn't play well with the Sport Pads so I have dedicated rotors for track. This makes the bedding process much easier. I thought I had the PFCs properly bedded for my first event and experienced pulsing when I got on track. I was able to work this out on a back road between sessions but now swap rotors with pads and am ready to go when I get to the track.

With Motul 600 fluid the brake system has performed.

Jeff
Old 02-27-2013 | 03:09 PM
Glen
Race Car

I prefer AutoZone Lifetime warranty for Your Cab/DE type app....not kidding btw...
Flame on...
Old 02-27-2013 | 03:35 PM
David in VA
Instructor

I agree with Mark, we run Pagid yellow 29's year round on the 996 and they work great. No problem with noise and don't really see the need to change them out. They have a bit more bite than the 19's but either one will work.
Old 02-27-2013 | 04:28 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Ferrodo DS 2500 on the front and stock on the back still works well for me. This combination is driveable on the street, relatively easy on the disks and easy to bed.

http://www.topbrakes.com/itemDetails...FQ4FnQodz28Ajw

Need to check for proper sizes for your car.
Old 02-27-2013 | 05:30 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you everyone for the responses!

I decided to go with Mark at OG Racing's recommendations and ordered a combination of the PFC 08 for the front and an 06 for the back. This was because the 08 wasn't available for the rears.

They will only be used for the track as I already have the EBC reds (low brake dust) that I use for the streets. Given the short DE season I'll have this year (newborn on the way in July) these should hopefully last me for quite some time.

Thank you all for the quick replies, I'll let you know how it all turned out after the event at CMP on 3/9-3/10.
Old 03-11-2013 | 03:34 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Back from the DE - update on pads

Wanted to provide an update to anyone who might be considering new pads for their 996. In a nutshell I highly recommend the Performance Friction 08/06 combination for a DE.

I had to install the pads a week ago because I knew I wouldn't have time to do so throughout the week because of work commitments. Even bedding them in quite a bit still didn't keep them from squealing during slow braking maneuvers. I expected this though so it wasn't a big deal for me. But if anyone plans on using these for the streets I would caution against it.

Overall the brakes did exactly what I needed them to throughout the weekend. I felt very little fade even after repeated hard braking in all of CMP's 14 turns. The one thing they did do though was force me to rethink my turn-in points because the brakes were grabbing and slowing the car much quicker than I was used to. With this new confidence I was also able to carry more speed into some of the more challenging turns than I had in the past.

With this setup I can no longer use the brakes as an excuse for slow lap times Thanks again to Mark at OG (he's getting all the credit lately, eh?) for recommending these pads and getting them to me so quickly.
Old 03-11-2013 | 04:59 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Fernando:
Glad you like the pads! I figured you would be happy with them.

Kind regards,

Quick Reply: Which brake pads for a 996 cabrio in DE?