Sponsored by:

Nordschleife Mishaps

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:13 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MattUF
Here are some vintage mishaps, with the crash at 1:38 being a personal favorite:
Amazing all the folks that just nonchalantly got out of their cars after a rollover, unhurt, as if nothing even happened. Humans must have been a lot more flexible back then.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 160 Posts

How about the VW convertible with 4 people in it that almost rolled, that would have be quite messy... bunch of jackasses!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
How about the VW convertible with 4 people in it that almost rolled, that would have be quite messy... bunch of jackasses!
natural selection
Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Living in Europe I've been there a few times. The Ring is a public toll road not a race track, yet many public car insurance policies spefically exclude the Ring. Great fun, but scarey as **** !

The SIM is a good idea but does not really work as the corner speeds are determined by not only the turn but by the gradient and there are continuous drops and climbs which are not on a SIM.

It's great Craic( Irish Word for Fun ) though, enjoy and just do it !
Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 PM
gomez1
Racer

I've driven it and at 4/10s just to be sure I didn't crash the rental. Still fun though.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:08 PM
Burkey
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Drove 8 laps this past May on a tourist day, rented a Scirocco race car. It was a Gong show, never seen anything like it, rental company told me signal when I wanted somebody to pass, thought it would be just like a DE. About 6 corners in a GT3 blows by and dives in front and nearly takes off the front of the car Had someone else with me as a spotter, thank God. but even saying that I would go back in a heartbeat
Old 02-21-2013, 11:57 PM
tonypai
Racer

That's a fast corner and very easy to turn in too early. My buddy did and it cost him $8000.

Only place you'll see tour buses, trucks, families out for a Sunday drive, motorcycles, dip****s from all over Europe/America and race prepped race cars all in the same place. It's an experience to say the least.

That being said, it's an awesome "track" and I'd love to go back.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:11 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,135 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
Golfs mixed with Mini, Motorcycles, trucks, and cup cars. All with little coaching, just a few helmets. My desire to drive the ring just dramatically decreased. I never thought I would say this but if our over abundance of lawyers has prevented this in the US then good.
Prevented what in the US? What you described sounds like every road in the US already (well...maybe not the cup cars...)

I don't see any 7,000lb SUV's cutting off small sports cars in this video, which is the biggest fear I have when driving any small car in the US. God help me when I'm on my bike.

I don't have a problem with any "self-inflicted" car crash which is what these videos are full of. Give me that any day over some soccer mom texting while crossing the center line in an Escalade and getting off with a slap in the wrist after plowing through a group of on coming motorcycles.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Here's an oldie that belongs in the HOF along side I Was Seventh, and The Worlds Most Annoying Passenger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuMTcrZpMFI
Wow - haven't seen that one before.
I don't think anything beats "I was Seventh" especially given the high production quality of that mini movie.

Quick Reply: Nordschleife Mishaps