Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy or Pass? 77 2.7 w/ oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 AM
aft911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sqweak -- hope it all works out. If you haven't yet pulled the trigger on the engine work, it's not too late to consider hunting for an SC motor -- either now, or for future consideration (patiently stalking the right classifieds sources).

When I bought my '74, I was in a bit different situation -- bought a very nice chassis that was race-ready, but had a blown motor. The very next weekend, I got blind lucky -- there was a beater SC w/ a good engine and gearbox available locally, I sold off the chassis as a roller, ended up getting the engine for free (again, a clear case of lucky > good). Keep that kind of thing in mind in the event that you build up the car to your liking, but later decide you'd rather race with the SC's (I haven't kept up with PCA classifications, but in the old days the SC's ran in the old "G", which had much deeper fields than the old "H" where the 2.7's ran).

Cheers and good luck!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:51 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sqweak
Thank you all for your input. I hear by grant you all the right to told you so, because after back and forth and some negotiation I decided the price/risk gamble was worth taking. Picked it up tonite.

First drive was magic. Car is rough but great. Shifter is so sloppy can't find gears, and when I can the synchros are going. Clutch is out at about 1 hair off the floorboard and revs are at redline at an equal 1 hair. But when i stop looking like a student manual transmission driver and get it going it pulls eagerly and strong, so much fun. Couldn't stop smiling!
Find some DIY types with same kind of car and latch on! Lots you can do to keep costs down. If all work is by full rate shops you will be crying in short order. They are not all that hard to work on and work well done only adds to the enjoyment of ownership.

Good advice to swap to a newer better motor than putting a lot of $ into a 77 2.7 motor.

Look at the shifter knuckel and bushing. It is in the back seat under the cover on the center tunnel. The plastic crumbles and falls out making for a sloppy shifter. $5 fix if this is the case.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Look at the shifter knuckel and bushing. It is in the back seat under the cover on the center tunnel. The plastic crumbles and falls out making for a sloppy shifter. $5 fix if this is the case.
Order all the bushings for your shifter itself (from PP) and a coupler from the "Coupler Whistler" here on Pelican, change the oil in the tranny to Kendall or Swepco, then see how she shifts. After everything is freshened shift sloooowly, double clutch if need be, and you may get years more before a rebuild is needed.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 88 Posts

Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9019085...n/photostream/

Aft911: Yup, that stalking is exactly what I plan on doing! I'm not concerned with classes, looking to do autox and time trialing for a while before racing.

Kurt: That's the plan, looking to run with the POC out here in CA. Already have a (more mechanical than me, but new to porsche) friend offer to mentor and work with me on it. Thanks for tips on the knuckle.

Gary: Thanks for that. I will start there. Does switching to a WEVO shifter make any difference on what bushings/etc to buy?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by sqweak
Gary: Thanks for that. I will start there. Does switching to a WEVO shifter make any difference on what bushings/etc to buy?
Absolutely, if going that route the Wevo shifter eliminates all the shifter issues and installing the Wevo coupler takes care of that end. Do both if thats the way you want to go!

Quick Reply: Buy or Pass? 77 2.7 w/ oil leaks