Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beginners

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013 | 09:26 PM
Upstate101
Instructor

Tarheel Sports Car Club has four or so DEs split between VIR and CMP. I participated in two last year, which were among the very first DEs for me. I was very impressed by the quality of the in-car and classroom instruction. They break down into about 5 run groups, similar to PCA.
I'll never forget one of my instructor's description of the various groups, particularly "the advanced and instructors are of the same driving ability, but the advanced are psychologically unfit to instruct."
Old 01-16-2013 | 09:32 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Upstate101
..."the advanced and instructors are of the same driving ability, but the advanced are psychologically unfit to instruct."
I find that offensive and egotistical on the part of the person that said it.

Some instructors shouldn't be. There are people that are not instructors that could be or should be. Some don't want to instruct. Not every person in the advanced group should be there nor are they all of the same driving ability. You don't have to be a great driver to be a great instructor and great drivers don't necessarily make great instructors.

Scott
Old 01-16-2013 | 09:51 PM
SWK6Cup

Karen:
PCA is a great way to start, like minded car owners with similiar vehicles is one great way to get started. You strike up some acqaintances, you can learn quite a lot from listening, (i.e. what gear at such and such a spot, different visual clues drivers use, etc.) simply listen.....there is plenty of info to be had.....you will, however, need to sift through it and filter out the BS (it will take time). Yes, instructors make a huge difference and your local club will be a great way to meet like minded track junkies. Also, ask the track group which PCA groups are better to run with, there are HUGE differences, (i.e. politics) and some clubs are much more laid back than others. There are those in here who won't run with PCA, but they have tremendous experience and are looking for a different experience than you are.
If you are just getting started, PCA should be a great start.
Old 01-16-2013 | 10:41 PM
Upstate101
Instructor

[QUOTE=winders;10149339]I find that offensive and egotistical on the part of the person that said it.

Scott, I think my instructor's comment was made primarily in jest. I certainly didn't (and still don't) take it literally.
Old 01-16-2013 | 10:55 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Best to avoid ones in winter...
VR - you NEVER disappoint
Originally Posted by SiberianDVM

Karen, you need to just pack up your stuff and your car, and get your *** to the track. The season has started already. Check the brakes and the tires, and fire it up!

I do recommend that you pick a track that is relatively flat for your 1st DE. I did mine at Roebling Road and I'm so glad I didn't try Road Atlanta for my 1st.
Unfortunately, my *** can't be on the track until April - I don't live in the south But, I can hardly wait And, I don't think MO is very flat
Originally Posted by rlm328
What I would highly recommend is to get an instructor with the same type car you have.
GREAT advice
Originally Posted by Country911
Also, ask the track group which PCA groups are better to run with, there are HUGE differences, (i.e. politics) and some clubs are much more laid back than others.
For some reason, I refuse to play 'politics' and have never been a member of 'the old boys club' - I am who I am.
Originally Posted by winders
Some instructors shouldn't be. There are people that are not instructors that could be or should be. Some don't want to instruct. Not every person in the advanced group should be there nor are they all of the same driving ability. You don't have to be a great driver to be a great instructor and great drivers don't necessarily make great instructors.

Scott
+997
Old 01-16-2013 | 11:13 PM
tim93x
AutoX

Default No Question some schools are better then other

Hi

No question some schools are better then others

But what works for one person does not for some one else

Class room, the others around, the number of cars they put on the track, then track itself, the people running the event ... it is all part of the school and it will be different school to school

The instructors no question are key .. but there are different types of instructors for different types of people.

If you and your instructor are NOT clicking GET SOMEONE ELSE ... you are paying to learn .. if you are not having a good time you may not be learning .. it's likely they are not happy either

GO TO AS MANY SCHOOLS as you can ... take in as much as you can

this is a learning process .. you will never stop learning ... things change lap to lap

talk to people ... MAKE Friends ... LISTEN

JUST GO DO IT ...

and hope for good weather your first few schools

ENJOY!!!
Old 01-17-2013 | 08:34 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

All of the PCA DE's I have attended have done a good job of assigning instructors based partly on their experience in the type of car the student has. I didn't have to ask; the club did the assigning. And if your instructor and you hit it off, the instructor is sure to look for your name on the roster the next time.

But, there is something to be said for having several different instructors. My last instructor at CMP had been there since the track's Day 1 and knew each inch of asphalt by name; he taught me a way around the carousel that I never would have figured out on my own.

Unfortunately, my *** can't be on the track until April - I don't live in the south
That's why trailers were invented. I'm going to Sebring next month, just so I can practice sweating.
Old 01-17-2013 | 09:29 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

MO is a great track, DE or racing. It is fun to drive and makes you work the car.
Old 01-17-2013 | 09:33 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

NASA
Old 01-17-2013 | 09:39 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlm328
What I would highly recommend is to get an instructor with the same type car you have. If you are driving a rear engine car get a 911 instructor, mid-engine a Cayman person, front engine a BMW or 944 guy. The different cars have different characteristics and as a beginner you want the driver most familiar with your platform.
In general, we (LSR) try to put instructors in cars with which they have experience. It doesn't always work out, and at a rank beginner level, doesn't matter quite so much, but where possible, if for example we have a Miata student, and we can put an instructor with Miata experience in the car, that's what we do.
Old 01-17-2013 | 09:58 AM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

But of course, we in the North put on the BEST DE's just ask me...... Each has there up/downs. What track is closest to you? Is there a PCA region you are part of, try a couple meetings and ask about DE's and see what they say. Each region has its own way of doing things.

Some will sell out the event quick (one way to know its a good event) some have room up till the day they start. Look at the track size and participants per mile of track less may be more in that case.

Just jump in and try it.
Old 01-17-2013 | 10:07 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hinchcliffe
Just jump in and try it.
THIS!
Old 01-17-2013 | 11:48 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tim93x
Hi

No question some schools are better then others

But what works for one person does not for some one else

Class room, the others around, the number of cars they put on the track, then track itself, the people running the event ... it is all part of the school and it will be different school to school

The instructors no question are key .. but there are different types of instructors for different types of people.

If you and your instructor are NOT clicking GET SOMEONE ELSE ... you are paying to learn .. if you are not having a good time you may not be learning .. it's likely they are not happy either

GO TO AS MANY SCHOOLS as you can ... take in as much as you can

this is a learning process .. you will never stop learning ... things change lap to lap

talk to people ... MAKE Friends ... LISTEN

JUST GO DO IT ...

and hope for good weather your first few schools

ENJOY!!!

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
That's why trailers were invented. I'm going to Sebring next month, just so I can practice sweating.
You know if I get a trailer, I'll be down there to give you a hard time
Originally Posted by kurt M
MO is a great track, DE or racing. It is fun to drive and makes you work the car.

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
NASA
Ummmmmm.........isn't that for the 'big boys?'
Originally Posted by mglobe
In general, we (LSR) try to put instructors in cars with which they have experience. It doesn't always work out, and at a rank beginner level, doesn't matter quite so much, but where possible, if for example we have a Miata student, and we can put an instructor with Miata experience in the car, that's what we do.

Originally Posted by hinchcliffe
But of course, we in the North put on the BEST DE's just ask me...... Each has there up/downs. What track is closest to you? Is there a PCA region you are part of, try a couple meetings and ask about DE's and see what they say. Each region has its own way of doing things.

Some will sell out the event quick (one way to know its a good event) some have room up till the day they start. Look at the track size and participants per mile of track less may be more in that case.

Just jump in and try it.
Track=MO, MORPCA
Old 01-17-2013 | 01:16 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

I've attended a few PCA events at TWS.

The folks there are great.

Initially I had some supportive instructors.....
They were good and encouraging.

When I asked to have some **** chewers to
force me to improve -- they obliged :-)

Not sure I got any better -- but I did feel like Inspector Douglas Todd :-)

http://www.hark.com/clips/hcdzpzycjy...*-with-me-axel
Originally Posted by txhokie4life

Mike
Old 01-17-2013 | 01:37 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

First DE was with NY Metro on Pocono South course. My Instructor was Allen Cohen (Awesome) back when his car was set up for a GT Class. He took me out for a session in that car and I was never so scared in my life. I kept glancing at my watch to see how much longer we had. Now its the opposite.
I'm still scared but it's the student that does the scaring

Quick Reply: Beginners