Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sim Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I know Phillips has a 1.2mm bezel LED TV now so it won't be long before the prices come down... gotta love a 55" OLED TV that weighs about 9 lbs and is 4mm thick!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Tripple screen is definitely the way to go. The more of the field of view you can fill up with screen the easier it is to perceive what the car is doing. Once you are all set up, get on board with Iracing and we can maybe get some rennlist league racing going again. The RUF is under construction still, but should be a fantastic training sim car for the 911 guys.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:13 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Mark, you might check in with Doug at Racetechnik, he put on a test drive day at the shop, full motion rigs. Ricky and Tim both got setups iirc...maybe you could get a test drive and check out the screen setups.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:02 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

There are options that require very little floor space... I have two spare seats that I mounted on seat-stands (Thanks Mark!). Very flexible, as I can use them for extra seating when guests are over, and move them if we need the floor space (for pool, darts, or shoot-em-up console games). Also great for two-player games (dirt3, mario kart for the kids, etc).

I use a wheelstand pro for the G27 wheel and pedals (fanatec clubsport pedals hopefully on the wife's radar for my upcoming b-day). Relatively stable (not perfect) but folds up and out of the way easily.

future kart-racers

We've had a few get-togethers recently, and despite all the great man-toys, the overwhelming focus was on the racing rig (granted, it was a bunch of PCA instructors and racers).. Oh yeah, that's the last remnant of yonk's green 911 on top of the dart-board.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM
mcongleton
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thank everyone for responding, your input has helped me decide for my allowable space the VisionRacer is the way to go.

JR, Doug had the Virtural GT at his shop. I have spend quite some time on them and they are the best I have used. They are so big and $$ I did not even think of buying one. Why aren't you going to Sebring?

Mark
Old 01-16-2013, 10:38 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Mark,

Love to but I have a potential project that will take me off continent in the back of a black suburban, gotta focus on it for a bit...

Cool sims tho. A friend of mine runs the AF figher training center out in Mesa, I went out and flew the F18 which was a full motion platform and then the F16 which was static. The bottom line was most of your perception was visual and once you got in they were surprisingly similar. Doug said a few guys turned green on the driving sim...
Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 PM
mcongleton
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JR

Hope the Suburban is not bullitproof, be safe

I did an hour in the Air National Guard F-16 sim in Tucson. Although the platform did not move you have an unreal sensation of movement. I was wobbly when I got out, a very cool experience.

Mark
Old 01-17-2013, 02:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,306 Likes on 1,878 Posts

I still have a great deal of difficulty with motion platforms, especially consumer grade, that aren't more of a distraction than an enhancement...

Boris Said and I got sick on the same day at the SOVA Motion Cruden Hexapods across the street from my office at the track. Most of the motion platforms are, IMO, overdone.

I still need to try a CXC machine and a few others, but for drivers that in particular are trying to use the sim for training purposes and as "proficiency run" testing platforms (as well as remote lead/follow and detailed virtual track walk tools, like I supply), I'll stick with static systems for now.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Sim Help