2014 Corvette Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
924RACR,

Let's backup a second here. Torsion bars are still used in modern suspension systems. They are used at the highest levels of motorsport on purpose. Is anyone designing an F1 car or Le Mans-style prototype with leaf springs? No.....

The fact the Corvette still using leaf springs is crazy. GM insists upon developing pushrod engines and leaf spring suspension systems for nostalgic and probably financial reasons.

Scott
Yeah - but give them credit on the push rod engines. They have proven themselves many, many times over.

It's funny with the suspension thing. The leafs are the first to go when a track rat wants to upgrade. Straight to adjustable coilovers all around. Lots to choose from as well.

Oh well. I think it still looks like the C5 had a 3-way with a Ferrari, a Viper and a GT-R. But that's me.

C.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:13 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
It's funny with the suspension thing. The leafs are the first to go when a track rat wants to upgrade. Straight to adjustable coilovers all around. Lots to choose from as well.
Of course. For tuneability. No different than torsion bars on a 944.

Why else are leaf springs bad, inherently?? Technically speaking?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:31 PM
mkd944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a fan of tail lights / rear end / front lights. Other than that...
Old 01-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts

Don't like the rear end or the TV screen instruments. I still prefer numbers and needles over the iPad look.

But you can't argue with the bang for your buck. And with all the coolers and dry sump across the board, they clearly are encouraging track use.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:58 PM
weston98
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Of course. For tuneability. No different than torsion bars on a 944.

Why else are leaf springs bad, inherently?? Technically speaking?
I have a 2009 Z06. Not sure they're bad but the transverse leaf springs tend to transmit energy to both left and right wheels on the same axle when encountering road imperfections. It feels a little like a solid axle IMHO. Much different handling characteristics from our Porsches but still good.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:06 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by weston98
I have a 2009 Z06. Not sure they're bad but the transverse leaf springs tend to transmit energy to both left and right wheels on the same axle when encountering road imperfections. It feels a little like a solid axle IMHO. Much different handling characteristics from our Porsches but still good.
I wonder if what you're likely feeling has less to do with the leaf springs and more to do with other components in the system. Like 1) run flat tires 2) very stiff rear swaybar 3) damping characteristics. A lot of that feel goes away when compared to the MR cars. With the Z06 being more track focused often what works on the track is nowhere near what the vehicle wants for street driving.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
924RACR,

The fact the Corvette still using leaf springs is crazy. GM insists upon developing pushrod engines and leaf spring suspension systems for nostalgic and probably financial reasons.

Scott
They aren't leaf springs like you're probably thinking of. It's has nothing to do with those old school muscle cars and the solid axle. It's just a different way to spring the rear end. You have to see it to see how it works. I couldn't begin to explain it in words.

You'd have to ask the designers why they chose this method. It usually comes down to packaging and/or price.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman

I wouldn't buy their products
Me either. Government Motors. I have a long memory.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:08 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 863 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
They aren't leaf springs like you're probably thinking of. It's has nothing to do with those old school muscle cars and the solid axle. It's just a different way to spring the rear end. You have to see it to see how it works.
I know what they are and I know how they work. The Corvette has transverse fiberglass composite leaf springs.

Scott
Old 01-17-2013, 04:20 PM
vette6autox
Burning Brakes

Well the old buggy springs work pretty good at the ring
Old 01-17-2013, 04:27 PM
vette6autox
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Upstate101
What's the point in a manual gearbox that has a computer that matches revs? Why not just surrender and get the automatic then? Who's kidding whom? I'll keep my old-fashioned manual transmission and match my own revs, thank you very much, even if it is slower to do it that way.
Otherwise, I kinda like the new 'vette.
PDK.

Quick Reply: 2014 Corvette Stingray