Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What 911 would you buy under $25k for track/weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by juddtaylor
I wanted a 993 bad when I ended up getting my 996 and tracking it. I didn't want one anymore after driving circles around a 993 cup car on the track (me with the stock engine, and a tip trans).
WOW! Those 993 Cups must really suck, huh?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Default What 911 would you buy under $25k for track/weekend?

+1 996

I bought the car in March of 2010 with 25K miles and started doing DEs immediately. At 48K I had the IMS/RMS done and at 68K, i have not had any problems (minus the minor suspension tweaking) with my 996.

These are great bang for your buck.
Attached Images  

Last edited by oMenRC51; 01-31-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: dumb 996 owner
Old 02-02-2013, 11:36 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
True. But I also live in a world where if I can't ball it up and walk away from it without bankrupting myself, I don't get on the track at all. The second I leave the pits, if I don't consider it a disposable vehicle, I've got no business being out there in the first place.

I think this is why you see so many GT3 and 997TT owners who have E30s, Miatas, and Boxsters as racecars. While a dual purpose DE/street rod is a slightly different beast, I still personally treat it the same way.
This is really good advice...

-B
Old 02-02-2013, 05:39 PM
sprintamx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wisdom of running what you can honestly afford to completely walk away from and/or with major components that you can honestly afford to completely rebuild or replace, is golden. The 996 is a fantastically competent platform that does not NEED much modification to be very robust and reliable for DE fun. That can also be said for almost any Porsche platform, with tweaking a few quirks here and there. And, do not skimp safety-ever. On the plus side, the basic safety components you should look at--seats, harnesses and some level of cage--will also help your driving.

The other piece of absolutely brilliant wisdom is to buy someone else's build. That's a path to initial success and cost containment.

However, Porsche is not inexpensive to rebuild or replace. 3.4 motors are now over $25,000.00 from the factory after core exchange; $45,000.00 without. This pricing was as of last June 2012. 3.6 motors are more reasonable, but still very expensive. Even a basic rebuild or a quality bone yard motor is $10,000 - $12,000.00 when all is said and done. Remove and install, new components, plumbing, etc. I've just gone through this, and the choices are limited do it's a seller's market. You can drop a 3.6 into a 3.4 car ('99 - '01) without changing the DME or throttle body, so you're not stuck if you need a replacement. However, the knowledge base is thin, and everything else is relatively pricey too--tranny, body panels, brakes, etc.

So, BMW 36 M3. At least for comparison, start researching the availability of cars--anywhere from stock to fully track built--the price of motors and trannys, body parts, wheels, brakes, etc. The whole platform is significantly less expensive than Porsche, and far, far more available.

Just a suggestion.

Quick Reply: What 911 would you buy under $25k for track/weekend?