Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What 911 would you buy under $25k for track/weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
This. I drove a 1990 on track for a couple of years, never had a single problem with anything. Not one. Went to the track, drove like a crazed maniac, came home. Lot's of fun and still quite fast.
The only issues that I know of with the 964 are:

a money shift could cost you more than a crate 996 engine.

And... and this is both good and bad news, the values on 964's are creeping up right now. Turbo's in particular, but even the NA 964 values have bottomed out and started to rise in my opinion. I'd rather be tracking a car that's value is low and going lower than the other way around.

But yes, a 964 is a good option.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by sqweak
Wow, I was not expecting such a resounding backing of the 996!

Re: Boxster. Not at all turning my nose up at it, we had a 0 option base 987 for 5+ years as a DD (never tracked) that we *loved*. We just traded it in on a 997.2 targa. As much as I'm a fan of that platform, I am leaning toward a 911 this time.

My only emotional attachment is to owning a 993 at some point, but a recognize that's outside my budget as a track car.

Like I said, I don't need to be running at the front of my groups. For now I'm not looking at racing, but HPDE and time trials. Most likely in POC's PDS here in SoCal.

Now to start stalking 996s
I'm sure you will find something close to you but if you need someone to look at something (pre-ppi) around here (07748) pm me.

Happy stalking.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:47 PM
cec3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on 996

purchased my '99 C2 with 16k for mid $20's 3 yrs ago - since then have almost 70 track days and now 30k miles with zero mechanical issues - still occasionally drive to/from track (can fit an entire set of track tires in car with jack/tools/etc) - great all-around platform with plenty of potential for future development (Spec996)
Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

For now I'm not looking at racing, but HPDE and time trials.
Famous last words... Don't worry; we'll find you a dually and trailer too in a few years...
Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I've done both. I'd say the 964 is a better street/DE car and the 996 a better race platform but you can't really go wrong with either.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:57 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'd rather be tracking a car that's value is low and going lower than the other way around.
great advice! I'm certianly doing my best to find the right donor that embodies that, regardless of generation, be it salvage or numbers not matching or other "not desireable" features for a street/collector.

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I'm sure you will find something close to you but if you need someone to look at something (pre-ppi) around here (07748) pm me.

Happy stalking.
Too kind, this a great and very helpful community!

Originally Posted by cec3
still occasionally drive to/from track (can fit an entire set of track tires in car with jack/tools/etc)
Wow, really? How do you manage that? Would love to see pics if you have any!

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Famous last words... Don't worry; we'll find you a dually and trailer too in a few years...
Shh! Be gone vile tempter! I'm pushing it already with her daily 997 my daily M3 and a project car in a 2 car garage w/ no driveway (townhome, M3 parks outside). Who knows, maybe a track addiction well be the motivation for us to move on to a larger garage...erm, I mean, house.

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
I've done both. I'd say the 964 is a better street/DE car and the 996 a better race platform but you can't really go wrong with either.
Care to expand on 964 as better street?

While I said I figured 993 was off the table, I do have to admit to being tempted by this one:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...496387644.html

Seems like paint/pitting problems & high mileage which would drive price down for a streeter wouldn't be all that bad for a tracker. Or am I being optimistic? Does anyone know anything about "Dr. Zuffenhausen"? Seems he posted/posts at Pelican as "Black Bear" but I can't find much transaction feedback.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Shh! Be gone vile tempter! I'm pushing it already with her daily 997 my daily M3 and a project car in a 2 car garage w/ no driveway (townhome, M3 parks outside). Who knows, maybe a track addiction well be the motivation for us to move on to a larger garage...erm, I mean, house.

While I said I figured 993 was off the table, I do have to admit to being tempted by this one:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...496387644.html

Seems like paint/pitting problems & high mileage which would drive price down for a streeter wouldn't be all that bad for a tracker. Or am I being optimistic? Does anyone know anything about "Dr. Zuffenhausen"? Seems he posted/posts at Pelican as "Black Bear" but I can't find much transaction feedback.
Yes you need a 3 car garage with a lift.

That red 993 was for sale when I was looking 4 months ago which tells me he isn't budging on the price. I would try to find something already built so you can capitalize on someone else's work (ask me how I know). You will quickly turn that $25K 993 into a $40K car getting it track prepped when you could just as easily buy one ready to track.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:38 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cec3
+1 on 996

still occasionally drive to/from track (can fit an entire set of track tires in car with jack/tools/etc)
need to hear more about this too. This is the only thing keeping me from buying Cup tires. (well, there's also the tire storage issue and the oil starvation issue and the need for new suspension components and probably a roll cage and race seats and harnesses...)
Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Yes you need a 3 car garage with a lift.
You ain't lying. Man, I came across Jack Olsen's 2 car w/ in floor lift and wheels started turning.

That red 993 was for sale when I was looking 4 months ago which tells me he isn't budging on the price. I would try to find something already built so you can capitalize on someone else's work (ask me how I know). You will quickly turn that $25K 993 into a $40K car getting it track prepped when you could just as easily buy one ready to track.
Got a reply in 993 board from someone who looked at it. Said it lacked documentation and has some cosmetic flaws, a rotor that needs replacement, and some oil leak (but likely from valvecover gasket). I imagine it's just rough enough to scare people looking for a cherry driver/collector.

I totally hear you on letting someone take the hit on track prep. I'm searching for those primarily, but I'm not totally against a non prepped car. Since I'm just getting started at the track it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for me to start stock/lightly street modded and add equipment over time. I don't have a problem doing that for the right car (and crossing 993 off the bucket list, would be such a car )
Old 01-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 134 Posts

I would go with a 964 or a 996. I am a little biased towards the 964 since I have one and they are a lot of bang for your buck without the 993 pricetag. A 996 will also fit the bill, but make sure the IMS and RMS have been done. Service records are a must as well as a pre-purchase inspection.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:33 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
And... and this is both good and bad news, the values on 964's are creeping up right now. Turbo's in particular, but even the NA 964 values have bottomed out and started to rise in my opinion. I'd rather be tracking a car that's value is low and going lower than the other way around.
By my way of thinking, this pushes me more towards the 964. Figure I go track a 2001 996 for 2 years and go to sell it. It will be worth $5-8K less than today.

But if I track a 964 for 2 years, I might even get what I paid for it out of the car.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
By my way of thinking, this pushes me more towards the 964. Figure I go track a 2001 996 for 2 years and go to sell it. It will be worth $5-8K less than today.

But if I track a 964 for 2 years, I might even get what I paid for it out of the car.
Or you might screw up a car that is worth something, glass being half empty and all...
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

I totally hear you on letting someone take the hit on track prep. I'm searching for those primarily, but I'm not totally against a non prepped car. Since I'm just getting started at the track it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for me to start stock/lightly street modded and add equipment over time. I don't have a problem doing that for the right car (and crossing 993 off the bucket list, would be such a car )
There is a 43K mile 2000 996 in the PCA classifieds for $25,400 and a 99 with 104K (with a 55K motor) for $16500. Those would be hard to ignore in your situation.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 PM
cec3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdavis
need to hear more about this too. This is the only thing keeping me from buying Cup tires. (well, there's also the tire storage issue and the oil starvation issue and the need for new suspension components and probably a roll cage and race seats and harnesses...)
don't think i have any pics but....one front (245 on 8.5") in trunk, one rear (275 on 11") in back on top of harness bar (i have reclining recaro sportster cs seats), one front/one rear standing upright side by side on passenger seat (tire rack covers) with seat belt threaded through wheels to help prevent flying objects in case of unplanned maneuvers, jacks/etc on passenger floor, small cooler & duffle under harness bar, folding chair in way back, small toolbox/impact driver can also fit in trunk. certainly not the safest setup but it does all fit without too much effort
Old 01-07-2013, 09:09 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I just went through this and went older. I did this for a number of reasons. #1 it's not necessary for me to win DE. There will be plenty of GT3RS and above that get the prize at the end of the day. I wanted a car where the consumables were reasonable. I wanted a car where I could do 95% of the work myself. I wanted a car for when I showed up at a car event that it had enough presence that I was actually happy to drive and own it.
The 993 was on my list = but to get a decent suspension on it takes some money. Most recommended going straight to a 996 to be fast.

A well set up 996 with a good driver can get into GT3 territory in very quick order. After driving a torsion bar car for years I can tell you that I'm comfortable getting into the right seat of just about anything and instructing. The 996 and GT3's are so easy fast they can make a medium to good driver feel like they are the next Fangio...

Quick Reply: What 911 would you buy under $25k for track/weekend?